Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

Where I do see the trouble is for ordinary people who chose to fly Virgin regularly on a Lite or Choice fare. Because it is now based on spend, you'll need to fly a lot to earn the same level of status you once earned.
I can't imagine many status holders are flying Lite now, it has never helped much and the price difference is often a few dollars.
Post automatically merged:

That is no where related to the status. Lounge access is not limited to status holders only but also to those pax who have specific credit cards...
That's fine, those credit cards are paying VA for that lounge access, it's not a free ride with cuddles and kisses because they are BFF's ;)

Yes, if you can’t earn 400 VA SCs in a year you’re probably in the wrong program.

Seems to me that the Virgin Velocity FF program is swinging more towards a loyalty program. I’m quite happy if they shed any number of current status holders either because they can’t make it or not satisfied with the changes.

I don’t think I could earn 400 QF SCs a year. Well, I guess I could, but I don’t want to. I don’t remember the last time I qualified for the loyalty bonus.

It’s a peculiar change considering their latest moves have been trying to brand VA as an international airline with global partners, this is completely opposite and insular. So much for the QR tie up.

The beauty of QFF is it’s effectively membership into oneworld. You can hate QF all you like, fly with everyone else and still get status if you do 4 short domestic flights a year.

This pretty much says VA isn’t in an alliance and if you want that, go elsewhere. This very much makes Velocity a program for domestic pax or the occasional straightforward international trip. Forget about RTW or foreign domestic flying.

It’s a peculiar change considering their latest moves have been trying to brand VA as an international airline with global partners, this is completely opposite and insular. So much for the QR tie up.
If I can book a VA codeshare at the same price and just as easily as booking directly with the partner then this is not a problem. Unfortunately their website isn't up to scratch yet, especially when it comes to PE and multi-city fares.

I am not sure you can achieve any status for free ... however I will leave that there
You were referring to those entering on credit cards, my point is, VA is still earning revenue from that, so that is not a negative to their bottom line, they are more than happy to have those pax in the lounge along with those that have status with VA, due to their loyalty spend, which will be even more valuable to them after this change.

When QF status is now easier to attain/retain and provides a hell of more benefits across the board (even to Virgin's future partner QR), you know that something's wrong with your loyalty program.
Everyone’s circumstances are different.
For me personally though I don’t see a big problem.
I know prices change all the time but I’ve just booked a J flight next month from SYD-MEL on VA for $506 and QF wanted $1061
So on those figures.
Maintain QF Gold = $16k spend
Maintain QF Platinum = $32k spend

Currently with VA
Maintain VA Gold = $4k
Maintain VA Platinum = $8k

Under new model
Maintain VA Gold $5k
Maintain VA Platinum $10k

So I’m not sure how much easier QF is and are those additional benefits worth $10-20k extra in spend?

Now now, settle.... Oh go on, I agree, it's harsh but true ;)
These are clearly the pax they do not want using lounges and getting the associated benefits, moving forward, which makes good business sense.
I think if this leads to a better lounge product, food and drink-wise, and adding international lounges (via partner lounges) for VA metal then I am personally all for this. Time will tell.
I think this is what the whole exercise is- you spend the money with us you get rewarded. Simple. Multileg regional J discount flights with family pooling travellers (who let’s face were big braggers on here) have just been given their marching orders to the Jetstar waiting area it appears.

I know prices change all the time but I’ve just booked a J flight next month from SYD-MEL on VA for $506 and QF wanted $1061
So on those figures.

Currently with VA
Maintain VA Gold = $4k

Under new model
Maintain VA Gold $5k

So I’m not sure how much easier QF is and are those additional benefits worth $10-20k extra in spend?

Lol nobody is spending 32K to get QF WP! You’re doing it wrong if you are.

You can easily do it for sub 10K.

Book even on Discount Economy with QF internationally during DSC season and you'll get Gold.

QF is also easier as they have not devalued partner SC earning rates for most carriers down to the toilet.

This is coming from someone who exclusively travels on E/N/O/Q.

Lol nobody is spending 32K to get QF WP! You’re doing it wrong if you are.

You can easily do it for sub 10K.
I know that but for my circumstances it would cost significantly more than $10k unfortunately and hence why all my leisure travel domestically is with VA because I can’t justify the price difference

I know that but for my circumstances it would cost significantly more than $10k unfortunately and hence why all my leisure travel domestically is with VA because I can’t justify the price difference

You don’t fly internationally?

Does anybody know what is the position re existing bookings?

We have some bookings for Apr and May 2025: the number of SCs were clearly stated on the web site at time of booking. Are Virgin now going to retrospectively reduce these? Can they legally do this?

On the contrary, AA domestic F is one of the cheapest ways to get QF status.

Correct, I spent $150AUD on a flight from LAX to LAS and got 40SCs from it.

Does anybody know what is the position re existing bookings?

We have some bookings for Apr and May 2025: the number of SCs were clearly stated on the web site at time of booking. Are Virgin now going to retrospectively reduce these? Can they legally do this?
Existing bookings are fine, you'll earn at the existing rate. New rates are for bookings from April 2nd 2025 for domestic and October 1st 2025 for international partners.

Seems like a Velocity Points devaluation - particularly on partner airlines (in addition to increase in carrier surcharge) and VA short haul international. Less so on domestic VA.

Indeed not a good news for me and I’m considering not retaining VFF Gold status for the upcoming year, instead using Amex plat for lounge access.
It is quite easy for me to maintain WP status on QFF since I travel internationally more often to Asia destinations like China and Singapore, VA was always a kinda alternative option for me travelling domestically.
I was actually quite happy to maintain my gold status in previous years since it was quite easy for us to simply do a status run during TSC periods, spending less than $600 for more than 300sc.

You don’t fly internationally?
Yes, a fair bit and have BAEC Gold plus status with other alliances/partnerships. All our OW travel is credited to my BAEC account due to the unfair QF tax.
For our 20+ domestic J trips each year though for leisure we just find it far cheaper and easier to stick with VA and these new changes to VA won’t alter that. I just can’t justify the nearly double in price difference every time I look at booking a domestic trip

Travelling at the moment so it's a bit hard to take all of these changes in as there is just so many. But that said, at first glance, I think this is a goodbye to VA status for me. It's been a fun 7 or so years as a Platinum! I will requal plat this year (review mid March) then soft land to gold and beyond assuming that hasn't changed. Try and burn as many points as I can before those changes come in.

Will have to formulate more thoughts...but I think they've overshot the mark to be honest.

So on those figures.

Currently with VA
Maintain VA Gold = $4k

Under new model
Maintain VA Gold $5k

But with advance purchase QF is getting closer to VA’s J class fares, IIRC around $450-500 for the major east cost trunks.

That’s halves the values above.

Oneworld is much more valuable than VA’s offering. And of course a much better product in the air domestically with wifi and entertainment.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back