Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

Will need to sift through the detail but at first glance this doesn't look particularly good for me.

Kills the incentive to book cheap J flights during DSC and TSC promos which means maintaining status will be more expensive, the 50% rule will be trickier to manage and despite being Gold or higher since 2017 there's a looooong way to go before hitting lifetime Gold, which looks to have a higher bar here than it does at Qantas.

Historically I think VA's lower requirements vs QFF status made sense because the airline was always smaller and on shakier ground in terms of long term viability. Wouldn't surprise me now if QFF status is more attainable than VA, which would be a huge problem. They do have some time between now and October 2025 to reconsider but I would think if Qantas ever wanted to run another status match campaign now would be the time!
Double sc, if still occurring will still earn double SC but just a huge devaluation on low end fares. Personally think the double SC done and dusted for some time. They killed it last time as now every man and his dog has status.

That part isn't commencing until October 2025 and by then they will be flying to Doha and who knows when by that point.
No that requirement is starting right now. **checks email** oh you're right. How could I miss that in such a long email mentioning enhancements? Silly me. For those curious, there are 18 items in the fine print of the email which takes up roughly the same space as the main body.

Overall, broadly positive for my flying - will look to achieve PP based on my Choice fare minimum purchase for every flight. That’s going to take some doing as the majority must be my flying - as Pooling will be a little less attractive.
A fellow AFF’er and I have had a chat about this. Looks like $24,000 spend to achieve Plat+, which looks unlikely for my small business - nearly impossible via domestic only (which is my travel pattern at the moment).

Unless you’re getting reasonable J class like BNE/MEL at $500 per sector, or able to access VA marketed flights internationally (under personal spend) then I might be able to hit it.

I can afford up to Choice (and need it for the flexibility of changing flights - or use FlyAhead) but if I have to sit at Gold.

Last edited:
Funny how the blurb says "we listened to our customers"....blah blah. They really do need to change that record as do most airlines. They certainly did not listen to my if you bid and get upgraded to biz then the SC should reflect such change suggestion ....funny that isn't it? It generally shows that Business class is overpriced anyhow.
Post automatically merged:

It might be nice to first open / reopen lounges to where they fly for a start if status is going to be harder/more expensive to achieve.
Absolutely. What a fine suggestion.

I'll be surprised to see how many elites are gonna be shed due to this decision.

$4800 on VA out of $9600 on non-Lite fares is gonna be a hard ask, especially when the destinations for VA are going to be uh... Australia and Doha.
It is something like 5-6 return J or Flex Y fares between most capital cities which isn’t too much to ask I wouldn’t think

Funny how the blurb says "we listened to our customers"....blah blah.
Isn't Bain Capital their customer? Certainly seems like it given their plans to float Virgin on the ASX!
They really do need to change that record as do most airlines.
Most airlines use that language when they have enhancements which frankly is silly. Who in their right mind is complaining that they have too many benefits as a frequent flyer?
They certainly did not listen to my if you bid and get upgraded to biz then the SC should reflect such change suggestion ....funny that isn't it?
Most airlines do not recognize upgrades towards status so doubt they would do anything revolutionary in that regard.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

It is something like 5-6 return J or Flex Y fares between most capital cities which isn’t too much to ask I wouldn’t think

When QF status is now easier to attain/retain and provides a hell of more benefits across the board (even to Virgin's future partner QR), you know that something's wrong with your loyalty program.

might be good for those who travel a lot but not for someone like me who travels only 2/3 times a year that too for family holidays. I am going to be one of the first few to lose status post this.
No offence, but if you travel 2-3 times a year you dont matter to virgin. Plus I would also suggest that you are not a frequent flyer with 2-3 times a year

For bookings made before Apr 2 next year (or even before today's announcement), for travel after that date, is your status credits earn the old system or under the new one?

No offence, but if you travel 2-3 times a year you dont matter to virgin. Plus I would also suggest that you are not a frequent flyer with 2-3 times a year

totally agree ; however my point was about the ratio of SG/WP who could benefit from the status when travelling with family.

The only change that I could see if I don't have the status is the ability to book free economy x seats , other than that the my credit card covers the lounge access criteria.

Now now, settle.... Oh go on, I agree, it's harsh but true ;)
These are clearly the pax they do not want using lounges and getting the associated benefits, moving forward, which makes good business sense.
I think if this leads to a better lounge product, food and drink-wise, and adding international lounges (via partner lounges) for VA metal then I am personally all for this. Time will tell.

Fly earlier or fly later? Fly earlier has always been a published benefit. Fly later is new.

Fly later per their comms. I'd like to think they've read our complaints about unpublished benefits and will commit to some improvements in writing.
In dozens of flex fares in the golden triangle at peak times I haven't been able to make use of fly earlier at all, so that published benefit didn't actually benefit me - good luck to those it did though.

A fellow AFF’er and I have had a chat about this. Looks like $24,000 spend to achieve Plat+, which looks unlikely for my small business - nearly impossible via domestic only (which is my travel pattern at the moment).

Ouch, that seems very poor return on investment. At that spend I'd (unrealistically) expect QF CL type benefits.

That's a fair point and one that I think would apply for most frequent flyer programs for that matter (even though most programs that do recognized people based on $$$ would give status to someone flying 2-3 times per year if they spent enough $$$). Where I do see the trouble is for ordinary people who chose to fly Virgin regularly on a Lite or Choice fare. Because it is now based on spend, you'll need to fly a lot to earn the same level of status you once earned. For instance, flights within the golden triangle often cost around $99 on Virgin. Now if those flights book into Lite, you're looking at 120 flights to reach Gold status. That would mean flying pretty much every couple of days on Virgin. Which is great if you're a FIFO worker, but for the frequent flyer who maybe flies a couple of times a month, it's still too much!

-RooFlyer88

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back