Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it's now clear to me why VA Velocity has come up with these changes. just look at the CEO's CV...

Principal, The Boston Consulting Group Mar 2004 - Jul 2011 · 7 yrs 5 mos

Budget Analyst, Department of Finance and Administration Mar 2003 - Mar 2004 · 1 yr 1 mo

Try Sydney lounge during peak, it can honestly be hard to find a seat, particularly if they haven't opened upstairs :/

On another note, I am currently calculating the status credits, new vs old for business between MEL - OOL.
Currently earns 80SC, on the current sale fare price of $319 that will drop to 26 status credits (319/12).
It sure will be difficult keeping status levels if all you do is chase sale fares.
Yeah no peak times for me anymore, hence not seeing this sardines scenario.

I remember being knock back years ago in Syd lounge in peak as silver cos was full.

Ool trips great cash value, just not if chasing status. $319 amazing price.

Could say who needs status when paying that price!

Still continuing on the theme of lounges, BNE lounge this morning Wi-Fi speed 110 MBps. Was crowded when I got in at about 10:30 am had to hunt around but I found a seat; now a 11:45 I can see quite a few spots vacant. I won’t edit at my previous post but clearly it’s not always crowded. 😊

One of the problems in MEL is the lack of staff to clear up. Tables are often piled high with used crockery during the busiest periods. And they run out of plates and bowls as well :(
When I was in the SYD lounge a few weeks ago for a 6.30pm flight to MEL on a weekday, the same problem was apparent - downstairs was very full and upstairs was open, with no service other than some chips, and the tables upstairs were full of used crockery which wasn’t cleared for more than an hour.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

VA is not going to improve if
  1. they don't improve their partner offerings, and
  2. they don't join an airline alliance.

The Qatar investment probably doesn't help with the joining of an alliance.

As well as QR being in OW, within OW they own 25% of IAG (BA and IB), 10% of Cathay an 49% of Rwandair (rumoured as a potential OW member). They'd have to either
  • Be happy for VA to join one of the other alliances
  • Somehow force QF out of OW which as a founding member might be impossible
  • Blow up OW by leaving and potentially taking some of their investee airlines with them

VA is now having a sale... presumably to soften the blow. Good chance to get those future bookings in before April!

email has just dropped for me. Very good that it actually highlights flights and cost from my home port rather than just some random one.

Be happy for VA to join one of the other alliances
i’ve said before that I'd love QR to have VA put into star alliance. 😊

Yes, but it would be entertaining wouldn’t it?😊
If QR didn't have the right to block it (which I doubt), that would quite a VA board meeting to be a fly on the wall at:

Bain: "Thanks for paying $xx_ for 25%, we're now going to sign VA up to an alliance which isn't aligned to your broader interests"
Qatar: "😧"

At the end of the day, people just want Ansett back. We all do.

But VA (as DJ) killed AN. Deliberately (according to the latest interview with Brett Godfrey).

So you're stuck with VA. Suck it up. The failure of VA1 suggests they're going to stop trying to be Ansett.

VA2 is a new thing.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back