Passport Renewal / Application - Time Taken?

$427.00 for a 5 years kid visa including express fee...
On the positive side it did arrive in just a couple of days.

Renewal lodged 21 June and received 2 July.

No curling like some previous posters have experienced, but the cover does not sit neatly shut like my old passports. Maybe some time in the passport holder will fix that up.

Applied 27 June (just before the $50 price increase), received passport today 10 July. Gotta say, for the extortionate cost (most expensive passport in the world now I believe, even eclipsing Mexico since the price rise on 1 July), it is a real let down and singularly unimpressive. It's worth about $40, not $400. Remarkable for what you don't get for all that money. Mine appears to have about 16 pages only, it won't close by itself without being jammed between something to hold it closed. Both covers front and back are permanently curled up like I've been swimming with it and just in general design aesthetic terms, it is a dreadfully cheap looking thing. I thought I might be looking back with rose tinted glasses retrospectively, so I pulled out my past four passports to compare and nup… I was completely right. All my previous passports back to Sep 1987 are much more impressive.

That, and it came with no holder sleeve or jacket protector or basically anything. It wasn't even wrapped in plastic of any kind in case the envelope got wet (which was definitely on the cards). Basically a complete rip-off when weighed against the ludicrous cost of the thing!

$427.00 for a 5 years kid visa including express fee...
Ouch! That's insane. I wish I could claim NZ citizenry. If I had any way of claiming NZ citizenship, I would forget the Australian passport altogether and happily use a NZ one instead. NZ passports are circa $80 only and they're a good deal more powerful than Australian ones too requiring visas for fewer places than Australia. $80 for a more accepted passport vs $400 for the cough that DFAT foist upon us is a slightly better deal

Renewal lodged at my local Brisbane PO on 18 July.
E-mail today 5 August that it's ready for collection.

The application status was showing as "under assessment" as recently as yesterday 😅
Noted they were doing some system upgrade over the weekend so maybe the statuses were not reflecting the process.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Renewal lodged at my Post Office last Friday October 4.
SMS that it's been sent via Registered Mail, Thursday October 10.

Much faster than I was expecting!

Passport received, doesn't seem to have the front page curve issue. Will see how long that's the case.
Find my NZ passport does that. I have to keep it in a pocket or between books to keep it flat! Usually keep it in a pocket in my laptop office trolley bag so OK. My GO-bag for travelling!

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back