Qantas A330 cabin refurbishments

Harrison_133

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Qantas have today released images of the upcoming cabin refurbishments for the A330 fleet.

In total, 10 A330-200s will be refurbished and feature new economy seats, mood lighting and carpets. The existing business class seats will remain.

Work will start in mid-2025 at their Brisbane maintenance facility with the refurbishment program to be completed by the end of 2026.

51CEF228-513A-4CF4-A688-8865A9EBE0DC.jpegA8AA807C-968D-4808-9611-DE9E6568670F.jpeg
5A77FDC3-FEC8-4EAC-A1BE-AAA505635238.jpeg5535E064-1507-40DE-BA65-D961AF4757A5.jpeg
Sources: First look: inside Qantas’ upgraded A330s

Another announcement....which will start in a year....

Looks like a similar product to the A330-300?

Another announcement....which will start in a year....

Looks like a similar product to the A330-300?
This isn't a new announcement. They already announced it earlier (last year?) initially targeting about now but i guess all QFs timelines slip.

Here's the original thread

Post automatically merged:

Qantas have today released images of the upcoming cabin refurbishments for the A330 fleet.

In total, 10 A330-200s will be refurbished and feature new economy seats, mood lighting and carpets. The existing business class seats will remain.

Work will start in mid-2025 at their Brisbane maintenance facility with the refurbishment program to be completed by the end of 2026.

View attachment 413215View attachment 413216
View attachment 413217View attachment 413218
My main thing about this is if they don't touch the J seats at all then you'll have better IFE setup (albeit slightly smaller screen) in Y than J.

10 is interesting and I think first time we've seen that number.
Qantas currently have 16 332s.

The 4 oldest are presumably going EBA- EBD. All 2014 deliveries, so hitting 20+

The remaining 12 are quite a bit younger. EBG from Nov 2007 through EBV from Oct 2012.
EBE and EBF were converted to QantasFreight aircraft.

The 333s were in the middle as late 2003-2005 deliveries

But there is a difference between the remaining aircraft.

4 (EBG-EBL) - the so called Domestic aircraft with leather J seats and more Y seats (and iPads) - 28J/ 243Y
8 (EBM-EBV) - the international aircraft with leather seats in J, and the small ex2 9" screens - 27J/ 224 Y (26J/ 208Y in longhaul blocked seat config)

The 333s (cloth seats in J) have a slightly better 11" exLite screen in Y.

Should be noted the renders appear to show cloth seats in J with leather headrests, so possibly a minor upgrade for this cabin.

So will we see 2 more P2F conversions, or just 2 aircraft sold.

Last edited:
10 is interesting.

The remaining 12 are quite a bit younger. EBG from Nov 2007 through EBV from Oct 2012.

The 333s were in the middle as late 2003-2005 deliveries

Guessing will be the 8 intl config + two domestic?

Taking another look. That looks like the updated J seats on thr 787s and 380s with the dividers.

Also another tidbit

UPDATE ON INTERNATIONAL WI-FI ROLL OUT

Qantas has also started its international Wi-Fi roll out across the A330 fleet. Fast and free Wi-Fi is expected to be available for Qantas flights some routes in Asia on the Wi-Fi enabled A330 aircraft from December this year.

Passengers on activated aircraft can already to connect W-Fi while flying over Australia to destinations such as Hong Kong, Delhi and Bengaluru.

The service will offer enough bandwidth for every passenger to enjoy a fast and consistent connection, similar to Qantas Domestic flights where the speed and reliability of inflight Wi-Fi has driven average take-up rates of 75 per cent, with some routes showing up to 100 per cent uptake.

they don't touch the J seats at all then you'll have better IFE setup

Still 16" in J Vs 13.3" in Y.
But yes 1080P (or 1K) Vs 4K.

As above the renders do seem to show the 332 seats becoming mostly cloth, currently they are leather.

As above the renders do seem to show the 332 seats becoming mostly cloth, currently they are leather.

The intl A330-200s have cloth.

View attachment 413216

lol at the economy meal on a plate and a tray ….. not a in a box

Also the ability to fast charge, BT audio and use streaming services possibly even play our device on the bigger screen.

Not too sure what the fuss is about having bluetooth audio to the IFE on a plane. I'm happy to plug my headphones in. After all, the seat isn't a portable device that moves with me. I can understand some people have AirPods or an equivalent that may not have a wire though.

How much 4K content will QF be loading? I know Cathay has 'certain' movies in 4K, but not all. If it's mostly 1080p or 720p videos, the screen resolution doesn't mean much. Though OLED is a nice touch.

10 is interesting and I think first time we've seen that number.

The Qantas seat map PDF lists 10 A332's that currently don't have seatback IFE in Y. Could it be limited to those? But then those are the ones with the single toilet in J *shudder*.

VH-EBA
VH-EBB
VH-EBC
VH-EBD
VH-EBE
VH-EBF
VH-EBG
VH-EBJ
VH-EBK
VH-EBL

And some of these 332s started life with the then state of the art Rockwell Collins IFE.
Oh how I don't miss that.

I'm somewhat surprised that QF didn't announce they would also be adding a PE cabin to these aircraft.

1000013588.jpg

Last edited:
Not too sure what the fuss is about having bluetooth audio to the IFE on a plane. I'm happy to plug my headphones in. After all, the seat isn't a portable device that moves with me. I can understand some people have AirPods or an equivalent that may not have a wire though.

How much 4K content will QF be loading? I know Cathay has 'certain' movies in 4K, but not all. If it's mostly 1080p or 720p videos, the screen resolution doesn't mean much. Though OLED is a nice touch.
Future proofing. Also QF doesn't need to load 4k themselves either. These IFE are capable of streaming Netflix, YouTube, Disney+ etc just you need your own account.

As for BT audio earbuds are getting significantly better and i often don't take my ANC headphones over my ANC earbuds or I take both. Even for the headphones, its nice not having to deal with wires when you're eating or getting up.

The other thing is whilst they say BT Audio. Having the technology also means with software updates you can enable other BT devices to interact (ones that may not even exist today).

These IFE are capable of streaming Netflix, YouTube, Disney+ etc just you need your own account.
I'm interested to see how this works in practice. A Disney+ 4K stream is 25mbps, and viasat advertises 100mbps bursts on their KA band satellites. So that's 4 people streaming 4K content?
Cathay's approach is to load certain Disney+ content onto their IFE server directly.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I'm interested to see how this works in practice. A Disney+ 4K stream is 25mbps, and viasat advertises 100mbps bursts on their KA band satellites. So that's 4 people streaming 4K content?
Cathay's approach is to load certain Disney+ content onto their IFE server directly.
That could be the approach as well I guess, preloaded certain content. In theory with AI you could predictively load each passengers likely playlists whilst on the ground too as data and internet speeds massively increase although that future is probably still a bit aways.

Edit: should probably mention that i remember reading these Panasonic Astrova systems also save a lot of weight given their computing units are much smaller than the existing IFE systems.

Last edited:
The upgrade is good but that could also mean the reliability for these services are at risk. This is because there had been too many delays in A330 fleet recently (now improving slightly), but still they could stretch the fleet too thin

The upgrade is good but that could also mean the reliability for these services are at risk. This is because there had been too many delays in A330 fleet recently (now improving slightly), but still they could stretch the fleet too thin
Im not sure i track this. The fleet is a bit thin right now but once the refurbishment are done, the 321 XLR fleet is rolling in, more 220s are rolling in, 350-1000 are rolling in and won't be long between this program finishing and the 350-900/ 787-9/10 replacements also start rolling in.

QF would actually have a much younger fleet in a few years. We're suffering through the decisions (lack of) right now, but not necessarily in just over 2 years time.

If you mean problems with the existing network, we're likely to see a 330 intl route be pulled as I can't forsee QF flying just one route to NRT and 3 to HND.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back