Qantas Courtesy Upgrade Love

Just a note that the upgrades happened while I was in the lounges, so quite near departure. Perhaps waiting to see if J was full or not.

My partner and I got a free upgrade from Y to Premium Economy on JFK-SYD late December last year.

I'm WP, she's the lowest rung AAdvantage. This was after initially being declined a points upgrade.

Just checking is this still happening? Haven't seen any posts about it in a little while.

Had 2 within a month after my year renewed in June then drought. Sadly both were domestic.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

10 flights in the last 3 months, 4 trans-Tasman, 6 Australian DOM. No luck after two in a row.

I have no solid authority for this but from what I can piece together, it seems like QF have blitzes where for a period of a couple of weeks or a month, staff are empowered to go nuts and issue as many upgrades as they want for plat and above then it goes back to BAU. Just have to be lucky and fly in that time.

Not sure if this belongs in this thread as I'm SG...
Surprised this morning at SYD Intl when I went to the kiosk to check the seat map I was initially confused at the different seat map, and seat number.
Turns out that overnight, I was moved from Y to Y+ on QF3, SYD>AKL.
Asked for a physical BP at the lounge in case there was a message but it looks like any other BP...

There were 2 seats free in Y+ an hour ago. Now 1 - maybe they're working their way down the premium list?

A nice surprise and curious how this happens as I purchased Y sale (N).

Not sure if this belongs in this thread as I'm SG...
Surprised this morning at SYD Intl when I went to the kiosk to check the seat map I was initially confused at the different seat map, and seat number.
Turns out that overnight, I was moved from Y to Y+ on QF3, SYD>AKL.
Asked for a physical BP at the lounge in case there was a message but it looks like any other BP...

There were 2 seats free in Y+ an hour ago. Now 1 - maybe they're working their way down the premium list?

A nice surprise and curious how this happens as I purchased Y sale (N).
Enjoy the experience! I've once never realized until I was in my seat, and that was LAX-SYD many years ago. This week two Trans-Tasman and 5 OZ Dom, only three eligible for upgrade as all others are either Jetstar or Dash-8s.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back