Qantas DSC October 2024 Offer - book by 31/10/24 & fly 1/11/24-19/10/25

Apologies if these are very simple questions that has been answered elsewhere..

1) I'm assuming if you purchase a flight under DSC and then cancel to a Flight Credit, the DSC benefit will remain in place with that Credit to at least the end or the DSC period?

2) If yes to the above, then you could use the Flight Credit for higher DSC result without loosing the benefit. i.e book a cheaper internal flight under DSC period then cancel for a Flight Credit to be used later?

Many thanks...
Post this in the dsc thread, someone might message you about it. This is the stuff most don't want to be easily searchable.

I'm not sure that was the reason for the offer given QF have previously had Oct offers to align with the AGM in the past. More likely to lock in lots of forward bookings at a time when there aren't any fantastic sales happening.
There's a good chance they already had the green light for one and the whole velocity thing just made it perfect timing to push to now.

Just sat down after lunch to make a booking to PVG (QF up to HKG then CX to PVG) and the DSC email had landed in my inbox during lunch - wasn't aware of this new offer until seeing the email! The stars are aligning!

Yes. It’s on the QF website if anyone cares to look. 😉

Last edited:
If you manage to earn the next tier a few days before your status for the membership year ends (e.g. Gold -> Plat, Plat -> Plat One, etc), does it roll over to the following year?

Or does it just send you back down to the tier you were before?

A previous 'work around' has been to purchase gift vouchers which create a PNR and generate the DSC benefit when used in the required time frame.

Another benefit of using a gift voucher is that credit card fees aren't incurred for the booking.
I didn’t think the gift voucher was a current work around as you still have to book within the current promo period? Pic below.

IMG_1815.jpeg

From the QF newsroom

During the most recent offer in February, participating members booked nearly 200,000 flights, with 60 per cent choosing to fast-track their status and 40 per cent choosing to boost their points balance
that seems quite low really. not many participating in DSC proportionately.

If you manage to earn the next tier a few days before your status for the membership year ends (e.g. Gold -> Plat, Plat -> Plat One, etc), does it roll over to the following year?

Or does it just send you back down to the tier you were before?
The new tier will be in place until the end of the following membership year

The new tier will be in place until the end of the following membership year
Yes so if qualifying for a new tier for the first time, best value it to do so as early in your FF year as possible to get the maximum value (not an issue of course if you plan to requalify again the next year).

that seems quite low really. not many participating in DSC proportionately.
I thought the opposite given the average Qantas customer doesn't play the status game.

Last edited:
Good timing, but need to get work to finalise dates for some upcoming travel in the new year.

Planning to go down to the tennis in January, so just booked SYD-LST-MEL-LST-SYD. First time flying further for the credits, but with Platinum a possibility this year, it's a no brainer. Fare was cheaper than SYD-MEL direct, plus get to try the new A220.

just booked SYD-LST-MEL-LST-SYD. First time flying further for the credits, but with Platinum a possibility this year, it's a no brainer. Fare was cheaper than SYD-MEL direct, plus get to try the new A220.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

I'm guessing the promotion will count towards award bookings to if one is a Points Club member? Also, does this promotion apply to Qantas marketed and operated tickets that are booked on another carrier. For instance, if I were to book my Qantas classic award using my BA Avios points would I earn the double status credits?
Planning to go down to the tennis in January, so just booked SYD-LST-MEL-LST-SYD. First time flying further for the credits, but with Platinum a possibility this year, it's a no brainer. Fare was cheaper than SYD-MEL direct, plus get to try the new A220.
If I may ask, what sort of pricing did you find? I'm somewhat interested in finding efficient ways of earning status credits during the promotion that don't involve me crossing the international date line.

-RooFlyer88

If I may ask, what sort of pricing did you find? I'm somewhat interested in finding efficient ways of earning status credits during the promotion that don't involve me crossing the international date line.
$490, but my dates were already locked in and didn't look at pricing for alternative dates. $6.125/SC.

When I tried that a few months ago, I was told by Q that you have to be flying more than 30 days from booking for that to be valid. We are flying on 17th Nov.
Confirmed you cant cancel for free within 24hrs of booking if the flight is less than 30 days away.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I'm assuming if you purchase a DSC flight and then cancel at some point to a Flight Credit, the DSC benefit will remain in place to at least the end or the DSC period? Many thanks...

I ended up booking BNE>MEL>ADL>MEL>BNE to pick up 400SC at $5/SC and catch up with a mate. This will put me at 1410SC just in time for my 30-Nov review date 😎

I’m generally opposed to spoon-feeding but here’s the link to the FAQs

But I’m also a realist, so just to knock over some of the questions that haven’t been asked yet, but which will appear any moment now…
  • No. An EK flight does not count.
  • No, not even an EK flight with a QF flight number. It has to be a Qantas plane.
  • Yes the QF flights on wet leased AY aircraft do count. Just pretend they’re Qantas planes.
  • Yes, Alliance planes too if they’re operating for Qantas.
  • No, Jetstar planes are not Qantas planes. They don’t count.
  • No, Jetstar flights do not count even if you book them on the QF website. They do that to trick you.
  • If you book economy and upgrade, you only get economy SC. Same as when there’s no DSC.
  • Yes the first batch of DSC will take a painfully long time to post to your account. No need to complain about it until eight weeks after you complete travel.
  • No, Bonza flights are not eligible.
And most importantly,
  • No, I do not know when the next DSC offer will be.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back