Qantas DSC October 2024 Offer - book by 31/10/24 & fly 1/11/24-19/10/25

I'll say that when i pieced it together, you couldn't really search for the info directly, but there's more than enough for people to search. A lot of the new people just seem a tad lazy to search - and by search I mean skim through old DSC threads.

I think I only had to skim 2-3 threads to confirm my suspicions. Then test it myself.

This is what I've done (read multiple threads) and I hope I have pieced together enough of the puzzle. I'm lucky for this DSC as I planned my flights to reach WP prior to this one, so I'm going to use this one as a test run and hope I've got the puzzle pieces in the right place

This is what I've done (read multiple threads) and I hope I have pieced together enough of the puzzle. I'm lucky for this DSC as I planned my flights to reach WP prior to this one, so I'm going to use this one as a test run and hope I've got the puzzle pieces in the right place
I've been doing status runs and the like for more than 10 years, and there is always a new trick to learn - or a lesson learnt - like the one I had recently with a booking to China when I found out that the Qantas legs earnt SC's as expected but the Cathay leg on the same booking from HKG to PVG didn't - despite Cathay being in OneWorld.

Do you guys use the multibooking function for the multiple stops for the DSC runs? Or do you guys add 1 flight at a time and tally everything up?

Been trying all day today and head is definitely hurting from trying to learn and cross check but some things are still not adding up. E.g. is Syd>BNE>AKL 240 SC one way but I keep seeing 560+ SC for bookings.

Edit: found 250 SC one way for the same route under business saver instead of sale

I'm all booked now for another trip to China, weirdly when it confirmed on the screen it said "You could be earning 210 SC's + xx_xx_ points for this trip" - even though I calculate it as being 180 SC's (+ the DSC's). So I've no idea what class it has booked the HKG-PNG-HKG into on Cathay - and I don't know of anywhere that I can look it up - but it sounds like it might have booked me into an earning class after all (after I thought that option for the return leg had disappeared overnight).

Is this on a multi-city booking on Qantas?

You earn the SC if you book via Qantas.com on a multi city booking. It happened to me this year (SYD-HK-SIN-SYD) and was surprised that I actually got it into my account.

POOzCr5.png

I've been doing status runs and the like for more than 10 years, and there is always a new trick to learn - or a lesson learnt - like the one I had recently with a booking to China when I found out that the Qantas legs earnt SC's as expected but the Cathay leg on the same booking from HKG to PVG didn't - despite Cathay being in OneWorld.
Are you talking about a cash fare or a reward fare? If cash fare then you should get both as per Oneworld rules (except maybe Aeroflot). Cathay leg will not get the DSC, but should still get some SC for it.

Urgh I'm too old for cryptic crosswords ha! Pity because I"m based in QLD and could maybe make use.

Anyone have suggestions for travel agents who are DSC savvy? I've got 2 international trips to book and wouldn't say no to some extra stopovers etc to bump up the SC. @madrooster ? Others?

I booked my Ool-Mel-Akl, Akl-Mel-Syd in J in July next year using the multicity tool so I have one PNR. It was actually $70 cheaper if I booked it as 2 oneways (so 2 PNRs) but if I had to cancel it would cost me A$200 + NZ$200...on one PNR, the cancellation cost is just A$200.

Are you talking about a cash fare or a reward fare? If cash fare then you should get both as per Oneworld rules (except maybe Aeroflot). Cathay leg will not get the DSC, but should still get some SC for it.
Unfortunately it is not that simple it seems with Cathay - with some fare classes (see table below) you do get SC's - but when booking a Flex Y ticket on the Qantas website that is MEL-HKG on Qantas connecting to HKG-PVG on Cathay the Qantas website often books the Cathay leg as class S and as per the table below you get nothing for class S fares. It would be interesting to see what the OneWorld rules say about this... - it is particularly frustrating that it is the Qantas website that is booking you into class S knowing full well that you don't get SC's etc for the flight whereas it could book you into say H or E and you would get SC's. The other frustrating thing is that when you are booking you can't even see what class it is booking you into - you have to take a look at what is on offer on ITA Matrix and then the Qantas website might book you into the same class - or it may not...
1730024887578.png

Last edited:
I'm looking at multi city and choosing flexible dates rewards but I am not seeming to be able to combine for example a same day MEL-CBR and CBR-SYD into one 8,000 point reward. Is this functionality gone?

It's pricing like this:

1730024722664.png

In the past this would be 8,000 points total.

Cathay leg as class S and as per the table below you get nothing for class S fares. It would be interesting to see what the OneWorld rules say about this...
Ahh yeah, good ol Qantas' selective award tickets strikes again. Sorry to hear you didn't get SC for that flight :(

Oneworld rules is ambiguous in this section, probably why they get away like this with this kind of selective reduction of status credits.

Also, a note for everyone who manages to reach a higher status within this timeframe and will be flying with another OW carrier (not long after the status upgrade) : the backend of the systems (GDS vs Sabre) do not talk to each other and can take up to a whole month to reflect on their end of the system (some are instantaneous). So make sure to save all your receipts—and if you get a physical card, take it with you!
Post automatically merged:

I'm looking at multi city and choosing flexible dates rewards but I am not seeming to be able to combine for example a same day MEL-CBR and CBR-SYD into one 8,000 point reward. Is this functionality gone?

Might have to call Qantas to get it resolved if the "multi-city" search function does not work, but you CAN see it if selected individually (one-way each).

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Generally to get an indirect flight to cap out at the same number of $ or points as a direct; you need to find the option when searching for a direct flight.

That is why it easier if your start point is a city that doesnt fly direct to the destination.

Qantas will usually show you direct options first, sometimes you have to scroll down to find the indirect routing.

Ahh yeah, good ol Qantas' selective award tickets strikes again. Sorry to hear you didn't get SC for that flight :(

Oneworld rules is ambiguous in this section, probably why they get away like this with this kind of selective reduction of status credits.
It happens even when paying $$ for tickets through the QF website for MEL-HKG on QF connecting to PVG on CX - all made on the one booking as a Flex Y fare booked through the QF website.

Agree however in the past you could build quite complex itineraries that don't necessarily display like the above, I've done things like BNE-SYD-MEL-HBA by building them in the old search engine and it priced as a single award, or even more crazy routings. You can also spend a whole day in Canberra using the old multi city tool, the above will show the much shorter connections usually.

Agree however in the past you could build quite complex itineraries that don't necessarily display like the above, I've done things like BNE-SYD-MEL-HBA by building them in the old search engine and it priced as a single award, or even more crazy routings. You can also spend a whole day in Canberra using the old multi city tool, the above will show the much shorter connections usually.
Another enhancement?

It happens even when paying $$ for tickets through the QF website for MEL-HKG on QF connecting to PVG on CX - all made on the one booking as a Flex Y fare booked through the QF website.
Inchresting....

Unable to figure out what my class code is for my booking last year, but I got 10 when I was expecting nothing ;3;

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back