Virgin
Silver
Oneworld
Emerald
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
Star Alliance
Gold
Apologies in advanced if this is covered elsewhere but 7News is reporting that over 400 employees have gone on strike across the country potentially impacting flight operations:

Just thought I’d start this thread to track what impact (if any) it has on operations and to discuss why they might be striking.

-RooFlyer88

Qantas official statement is that "we have made suitable arrangements that there will be no impact to operstions".

I think I heard they are 4hr stoppages at a time.

I guess this begs the question: what came first the double status credit promotion or the industrial action?
Qantas official statement is that "we have made suitable arrangements that there will be no impact to operstions".
I wonder what those arrangements are. Cash in scab workers? Have Uncle Alan earn his Golden Parachute by unloading bags at SYD? Or maybe rearrange passengers bundle of rights?
I think I heard they are 4hr stoppages at a time.
Do they have to be announced in advance to Qantas or is it simply the Unions ask their members to walk off at a certain time. Apologies in advance for my naivety on Australian industrial relations.

I guess this begs the question: what came first the double status credit promotion or the industrial action?

I wonder what those arrangements are. Cash in scab workers? Have Uncle Alan earn his Golden Parachute by unloading bags at SYD? Or maybe rearrange passengers bundle of rights?

Do they have to be announced in advance to Qantas or is it simply the Unions ask their members to walk off at a certain time. Apologies in advance for my naivety on Australian industrial relations.

Sorry not going to respond to cracked sarcasm recordings about AJ

I heard on the radio that the engineers are demanding an immediate 15% pay increase, with two more 10% jumps over the next two years, so a total wage hike of 35% within 24 months. Have no idea what sort of money they make, but that seems to me to be a ballsy ask?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I heard on the radio that the engineers are demanding an immediate 15% pay increase, with two more 10% jumps over the next two years, so a total wage hike of 35% within 24 months. Have no idea what sort of money they make, but that seems to me to be a ballsy ask?

Called "Ambit claim". A technique routinely used by AU unions.

Noun. ambit claim (plural ambit claims) An extravagant initial demand made in expectation of an eventual counter-offer and compromise.

Apologies in advanced if this is covered elsewhere but 7News is reporting that over 400 employees have gone on strike across the country potentially impacting flight operations:

Just thought I’d start this thread to track what impact (if any) it has on operations and to discuss why they might be striking.

-RooFlyer88
This is for - today.

Yes, "ambit claim".

I struggle a bit with my thoughts on strike things. On the one hand, I understand that some employees may feel they need to do this to get heard by management. But in the case of airlines, the only pressure that employees seem to be able to bring is to disrupt flights. Which really, at the end of the day, means making thousands of normal people suffer, just to make a small amount of pressure on the fat-cat executives,etc of the airline management.
Call me a communist revolutionary or something else, but why cant they think beyond the usual and come up with an action strategy that targets management more directly and poor old customers less?

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back