QF announce non-stop Perth-London B787 Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see any name change suggestions after MEL-NRT is launched....

But SYD already has the 744 HND service so adding that was just sort of bringing things into line. It wasn't like MEL was getting a destination SYD doesn't already have.

Ek are upgauging ek408/409 to A380 at the same time which may help a bit.
I didn't choose to be loyal to flying QF to want to fly EK. No upgrades on EK using QF points, so a further devaluing of the QFF program for MEL residents by axing the A380 service to UK.

All I want is to be able to fly the QF A380 direct from MEL to LHR stopping somewhere a lot closer to half-way than Perth.

I think the cancellation of the a80 from Melbourne gives credit to the arguments that those aircraft weren't as profitable on that route as they could otherwise be. Capacity is cut by half, QF die-hards will continue to fly via Perth (either in coach or premium economy). The rest of the market that is price sensitive will take the competition out of the east coast.

I think the cancellation of the a80 from Melbourne gives credit to the arguments that those aircraft weren't as profitable on that route as they could otherwise be. Capacity is cut by half, QF die-hards will continue to fly via Perth (either in coach or premium economy). The rest of the market that is price sensitive will take the competition out of the east coast.

That's right. Today it has become a lot easier to leave QF as an international-flying MEL-based traveler.

Wow, just wow.

When is the name change coming? Should be NSWAS.

EK, CX and AY's revenue managers must just be rubbing their hands together.

you'd think other airline's revenue managers would be running their hands... but I'm not sure it necessarily translates? For years qantas operated a single daily flight to Hong Kong or Singapore or Tokyo... with MK1 skybeds... compared to CX's or SQ's triple or quadruple daily... with full flat beds. And no need to waste an entire day from the office in CX or SQ. And yet there was no incentive for QF to upgrade their product to compete (implying they didn't need to).

But SYD already has the 744 HND service so adding that was just sort of bringing things into line. It wasn't like MEL was getting a destination SYD doesn't already have.

And??? I'm not sure QF should be launching services from cities purely for ego reasons. The reality is that SYD is still Australia's leading economic city... if I was running an airline, I'd fly from there too.

And??? I'm not sure QF should be launching services from cities purely for ego reasons. The reality is that SYD is still Australia's leading economic city... if I was running an airline, I'd fly from there too.

You were implying they were giving MEL a one-up by adding MEL-NRT. Anyway, no matter.

Well just look at Etihad... Moving the a380 from Mel to Syd. Has to say something about Mel at the moment

MEL is on track for population to exceed that in SYD.

For MEL passengers the only thing that would've been an upgrade from the A380 service would be a direct non-stop service to London all the way from Melbourne but that's not currently possible.

Wish they'd kept the MEL A380 service and cut the SYD one or flew from MEL some days and SYD others or even flew the MEL A380 only as far as DXB.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Any news on QF95?

[TABLE="width: 704"][TR][TD="width: 188"]QF 95 MEL-LAX^[/TD][TD="width: 113"]21:40[/TD][TD="width: 95"]19:00[/TD][TD="width: 170"]Six days (not Tuesday)[/TD][TD="width: 113"]B787-9[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Hot off the QF press...

I'm pleased to announce that customers can now book non-stop flights from Australia to Europe for the first time, with tickets for Qantas' Perth-London (Heathrow) route going on sale today.*
Melbourne-Perth-London on the B787
Daily flights will begin on 24 March 2018 and form part of a new Melbourne-Perth-London return service, a new QF9/10. Customers from other Australian cities will also be able to connect to London via Perth.
Services will be operated by our new Boeing 787-Dreamliner, designed specifically for comfort on long-haul sectors, offering:

• Built-in features to reduce jetlag and improve the overall travel experience;
  • A high level of comfort in our cabins, with a lower seat count than most of our competitors; and
  • Tweaks to our inflight service so customers enjoy the journey even more.
    Discover the Dreamliner.
Perth Airport experience
The experience for customers travelling through Perth will be seamless, with a new international transit lounge to be built at Perth Airport. Our international and domestic flights will arrive and depart from the same terminal (T3/T4), with dedicated customs and immigration.
Changes to Melbourne international services and new A380 flying
The new QF9/10 will replace our existing Melbourne-Dubai-London services, offering Melbourne customers:

• A faster flying time and quicker connections in Perth will reduce total travel time from London to Melbourne by more than an hour compared with existing A380 services.
  • The ongoing option to fly with partner Emirates on the Qantas code to Dubai and then direct to London or to nearly 40 destinations in Europe.
Our A380 that currently operates Melbourne-London will be redeployed to meet periods of high demand to destinations in Asia, including from Melbourne and Sydney to Hong Kong and Singapore.

[TABLE="width: 704"] [TR] [TD="width: 188"]QF 95 MEL-LAX^[/TD] [TD="width: 113"]21:40[/TD] [TD="width: 95"]19:00[/TD] [TD="width: 170"]Six days (not Tuesday)[/TD] [TD="width: 113"]B787-9[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

brilliant timing for O&D pax to LA imho

Price check on the 25th march return 26 march in Y = $2600. Only flexi Y available on 24 March at $1900, with $1100 for the return.

I had a quick check. There was one J mel-lhr seat on 26 March for redemption, but since gone. Wish I had have gone through to see what the taxes were. Economy taxes one way was about $260

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back