Queensland Government in partnership with 4 Queensland Airports (BNE, OOL, MCY and CNS) to provide $200 million to Attract International Airlines

HS-TQE

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
The Airports will provide $25million each towards the fund. Initial Subsidy Targets for International Airlines are from Singapore (maybe Scoot to increase OOL or start MCY/CNS), Japan (maybe NH), South Korea and USA (United).

All I can say is good luck to the Queensland taxpayers and to the Airlines taking up the AIAF subsidy (funded by the Airports and the Taxpayers) if the business case for them to start/restart Queensland services stacks up for them.

Seems like a bit of a waste of money to me.

If the demand is there, they will come.

Well certainly a waste for MCY. Have seasonal NZ flights and previously a few Chinese charter flights. I don't see Chinese tourism returning to previous numbers any time soon. Also not the same International tourist infrastructure as the Gold Coast so cant see why services from SIN or Japan would be interested.
Hopefully may mean the earlier restarting of regular flights between BNE and Japan as both JAL and QF serviced this route.

We'd use the SIN one if the price was right, Prefer sunshine to gold . :rolleyes: And have some friends there I want to visit.
Any SIN-MCY service will IMO likely be on the back of 'outbound' demand rather than inbound. At most a 2-3 weekly service to SIN timed to connections elsewhere in SE Asia (esp those heading to beach markets in Thailand, Vietnam or Indonesia).

MCY also has the Moreton Bay region and the far Northern suburbs of Brisbane (City Council) as a catchment market as an alternative to BNE.

Saying that I do agree Inbound Traffic ex-SE Asia (SIN) or Japan to MCY/Sunshine Coast is likely to be lower than Inbound Traffic to OOL/Gold Coast.

Well, the QLD Gov / Airports will be please to hear Air NZ has just set restart dates for flights to OOL, MCY, and CNS.

Also restart dates were announced today for other paused AirNZ Tasman flights and services to ORD and IAH

Attachments

• Screenshot (754).png
    Screenshot (754).png
    42.9 KB · Views: 15
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Tourism Queensland's Head of Marketing will be travelling to LAX next week on behalf of TEQ, Queensland Government and BAC to negotiate restoring/new air links between BNE and USA.

Paywall: https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...s/news-story/c4250f139914b53e9ffd0a194d03e68e

Excerpt below:

Queensland tourism is aiming to Make America Great Again as the sector looks for a new poster child in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
With continued uncertainty in Asia and Europe, North America looms as Queensland’s most bankable tourism market, with airlines and airports in negotiations to connect the Sunshine State to international destinations across the Pacific.
Not since the days of Paul Hogan offering to throw another shrimp on the barbie has the US been seen as so pivotal for the Sunshine State, with Tourism and Events Queensland’s head of marketing set to arrive in Los Angeles on Sunday as part of a trade mission to bolster commercial travel links.

Tourism Queensland's Head of Marketing will be travelling to LAX next week on behalf of TEQ, Queensland Government and BAC to negotiate restoring/new air links between BNE and USA.
No doubt will a group of bureaucrats (spending other peoples money). But none of USA airlines have their head office in Los Angles. Must not realise that UA has a bigger presence in SFO. More flights from SFO would be a market edge. Or just going to Disney Land?
QF are going to fly MEL-DFW (B787) & MEL-LAX (A380). (reports today) So shows the (non)support for QLD

Last edited:
No doubt will a group of bureaucrats (spending other peoples money). But none of USA airlines have their head office in Los Angles. Must not realise that UA has a bigger presence in SFO. More flights from SFO would be a market edge. Or just going to Disney Land?
QF are going to fly MEL-DFW (B787) & MEL-LAX (A380). (reports today) So shows the (non)support for QLD
I would say UA not being in a a hurry to replace VA on the BNE-USA (SFO or LAX) sector, despite the Queensland Government waving subsidies to them, or any international airline, suggests that the yields are simply not there for them.

Whilst offering subsidies under the guise of tourism helps employment (I won't quote the long winded Premier's sayings again per other posts on this topic), it's starting to come across as desperation for the Queensland Government.

Any increase in the subsidy deals for the international airlines that apply, and that approaches on a "taxpayer subsdised charter", which wouldn't please many of us taxpayers in Queensland where the tax could be better spent elsewhere such as Hospitals and Transport Infrastucture across the state for example.

South Korea

Weren‘t QF talking up BNE-ORD again recently? Some seed funding might help…..

Great news - maybe I can use my GOL Smiles on them.

KE increases BNE flights to daily:

Airport subsidies, airline subsidies, all transport gets a subsidy of some sort.

NSW taxpayers are spending big on train to the new airport. Spending to get more people through the gate happens all the time.

There are still govt owned airlines around the world.

As long as spending has review or end dates I don’t think a big deal and if decisions are popular then politicians are only doing what the tax payers are wanting.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back