Slam, bam, thank you Ma’am, 48 hours in Queenstown

Justinf

Established Member
So as I am typing this I’m getting ready for a weekend jaunt to Queenstown NZ.

I just felt like getting away…you know how it is.

Always wanted to go to Queenstown and when I saw really cheap flights with VA, I decided to go for a weekend.

I think the outbound was something like $220 and return was $170 both ‘Choice’ fares to earn SCs and points.

I am already Velocity gold so I immediately put in for points upgrades to J.

The return leg was granted straight away, but the trip over I was put on a waiting list.

With 30,500 points in the bank and each upgrade costing 16,000 points, I realised I didn’t have enough points for both flights.

So I thought bugger it and bought 1500 points for $50 and hoped for the best.

The plan is to fly out on the 11.35am flight arriving in ZQN 4.45pm and get the Sunday 6pm flight back to Melbourne.

Very short trip.

Accommodation was quite expensive but eventually settled on the Ramada Central at $473 for two nights.

I have nothing really planned. Would definitely like to take the cable car for a look around, but pretty much going to wing it.

No lounge access at MEL, which is a tad disappointing.

Also I realise what Virgin business class is going to be like, which is pretty much meh, but I’m just rolling with the punches here.

I have taken Friday and Monday off work and even though I arrive back in Melbourne at 7.35pm Sunday, I decided to not drive to and from the airport and imbibe in some adult beverages in J on the way back.

It means getting home around 11pm, but with Monday off, it doesn’t matter.

Weather forecast for Saturday is not looking great. Two days ago it was 14 degrees and heavy rain, but last night it was changed to 15 and showers in the afternoon. 12 degrees for Sunday and partly cloudy with the chance of a shower until evening. Overnight lows were 2 and 1 degree/s.

I initially selected seat 27D, but was moved to 14D at T24, which is an exit row with more legroom and was going for $64 to buy.
The flight looks very, very full so I am not confident about the upgrade.

Anyway an early start for 5am tomorrow.

Hope you can join me for this whirlwind trip.

I’ve spent 3 or 4 weekends or long weekends in Queenstown (as well as a couple of longer visits) so I absolutely understand. Accommodation for less than $250/night is a good deal.

The cable car is a great idea as the view up the top is pretty spectacular. As for what else you do, it really depends on your interests. There are plenty of “extreme sport” options available, and jet-boating is always fun (I’d choose the Dart River). Or you could take the steamship across the lake, or head over to Arrowtown, or go to the Kiwi sanctuary … the possibilities are truly endless and you could easily spend a week and/or several weekends there (as I have!).

Everyone is different, but highlights of Queenstown for me over the years have been…

• Fun-yakking and jetboating on the Dart River
  • Stargazing from the top of the mountain (weather permitting!)
  • Zip-lining down the mountain
  • Fergburger (it really does live up to the hype).
  • Walking along the bay (the Kiwis humorously call it “the beach”).
  • Some of the bars and restaurants are pretty good too!
But your list might be totally different. Enjoy the vibe and the view! Oh — and don’t forget to sample the fudge from The Remarkable Sweet Shop.

I’ve spent 3 or 4 weekends or long weekends in Queenstown (as well as a couple of longer visits) so I absolutely understand. Accommodation for less than $250/night is a good deal.

The cable car is a great idea as the view up the top is pretty spectacular. As for what else you do, it really depends on your interests. There are plenty of “extreme sport” options available, and jet-boating is always fun (I’d choose the Dart River). Or you could take the steamship across the lake, or head over to Arrowtown, or go to the Kiwi sanctuary … the possibilities are truly endless and you could easily spend a week and/or several weekends there (as I have!).

Everyone is different, but highlights of Queenstown for me over the years have been…

• Fun-yakking and jetboating on the Dart River
  • Stargazing from the top of the mountain (weather permitting!)
  • Zip-lining down the mountain
  • Fergburger (it really does live up to the hype).
  • Walking along the bay (the Kiwis humorously call it “the beach”).
  • Some of the bars and restaurants are pretty good too!
But your list might be totally different. Enjoy the vibe and the view! Oh — and don’t forget to sample the fudge from The Remarkable Sweet Shop.
Oh yes, thank you.
Fergburger is def on the hit list.
I consider this a small sample for when I’ll be back.
I really want to go in the dead of winter next year.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back