SQ Tips, Trips and Tales

I think I have had about 8-9 Lobster Thermidors and I do recall they were better before COVID but you can never go wrong especially if you can pair it with a delicate Louis Latour Pouilly-Fuisse.

IMO, SQ has been very inconsistent overall

I used to order the Lobster obsessively - and then remembered i live in Aus and can have lobster literally whenever i want to. So now i order random things which i never remember, so each meal is quelle suprise
I do agree with this as you can pick up a lobster tail for $9-25 from Woolworths/ Coles (depending on the size) but I would much rather a more premium wine list in J to be honest and that is where SQ lacks

;) Please tell the crew and tell them its absolutely unacceptable that no provision for cutlery is made for the satay. Its very QF to not provide cutlery;)
If a separate saucer for the sauce is provided, I usually use the satay itself as a scoop - just pull the satay down to the tips with your teeth then scoop up the sauce. The onion is also another method. By the time I finish the satay, there is no sauce left. However, any remnants is licked off. If slurping noodles is de riguer, then licking the sauce off is a nothing burger. Basically satay is a very hands on dish.
No satay tonight on SQ 208 out of MEL at 19.25 - first time ever for me.
I even brought my own plastic spoon which was, in the event, unused!
I always pack a spoon for SQ J or F, so I can scoop up all the sauce - Mrs D thinks I am nuts

I even brought my own plastic spoon which was, in the event, unused!
I always pack a spoon for SQ J or F, so I can scoop up all the sauce - Mrs D thinks I am nuts

Looks like it's been enhanced off the menu...

I have noticed the Satay appearing on book the cook as a MAIN option, for other flights :(

Oh Duffa you are such a duffer - AQIS directives prohibit SQ offering satays on ALL outbound flts from ALL AU ports as Satays are prepared in SIN rather than AU dep ports - NFI why - maybe SQ protecting their recipe - nothing new about this - has been implemented for yonks.

I have seen reports where some pax claim it not be - but it do be - pictorial evidence to refute only pls.

(I will be onboard 237 within an hour and I will clarify with IFM)

Edit: As posted above all Satay are loaded at SIN - IFM Alice confirmed SQ are not confident outstations could maintain consistency and integrity of quality.

As for AU Alice was not 100% sure but I know I went into this in depth quite a few years ago - basically AQIS insist all foods not enclosed in fully sealed unopened containers (there are restrictions on some of these also) must be disposed of upon arrival of aircraft - there go your prepared Satays down the drain. AU is not the only country on the planet who administer in this fashion but there are not too many - as Bruce would say - SPECIAL aren’t we?

Last edited:
Oh Duffa you are such a duffer - AQIS directives prohibit SQ offering satays on ALL outbound flts from ALL AU ports as Satays are prepared in SIN rather than AU dep ports - NFI why - maybe SQ protecting their recipe - nothing new about this - has been implemented for yonks.

I have seen reports where some pax claim it not be - but it do be - pictorial evidence to refute only pls.

(I will be onboard 237 within an hour and I will clarify with IFM)

SQ226 PER-SIN 9th September 2024

IMG_0798.jpeg

It does appear that Perth is the only origin in AU with satay! (I just checked the menus ex ADL/SYD/MEL/CNS/DRW/BNE).

Wonder how come PER gets the exception?

Not sure which card to choose? Compare on AFF and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back