SQ Tips, Trips and Tales

Arriving into MEL yesterday on 237 no gates available so we had remote deplaning - it took ground staff 25mins to position the stairs to allow door opening - then ALL pax crammed onto 1 bus to transfer to terminal - by the time last couple wheelchair pax were assisted downstairs bus was bursting at seams - pax had to de-bus and clear seats to allow wheelchair pax onboard then bus to terminal.

Terminal was just a zoo inside - queues 20-30 deep waiting for immig ticket terminals - straight through gates once ticket in hand.

By this time luggage was on carousel together with another Chinese flight so carousel chockers but all luggage there due to delay deplaning /. immig etc. Then the lines trying exit - 100mts long - LUCKILY I still always carry an Express Path card from yesteryear which got me through in mins.

I called SQ MEL Station Mgmt this morn to make sure they had full story - they said they knew there was a short delay in stairs positioning but no idea it was 25mins - but they do now. MEL is currently so busy mid morn to midday lack of gate availability is common on most days for whichever carriers. SQ are not handing out Express Path Cards per se to pax but they have now asked SIN and other outstations to start printing EXPRESS @ MEL on bottom right of your BP - see below.

I don't blame SQ for the delays as is totally fault of MEL Mgmt - but still there seemed to be a distinct scarcity of SQ staffed advising / directing / assisting pax once on ground.

*TIP* - If you are still in possession of Express Path cards from the good ol' days then tuck one in your ticket wallet just in case.
View attachment 410823
My experience mirrors yours - also arrived in MEL on the morning of 27SEP on AI308 (the horror), and the queues, at every stage of the exit journey, were not just a zoo but an actual cattle carrier.

Fortunately I had 2 express path cards tucked away in my travel wallet from eons ago that were generously gifted by a friend a while back after he stopped flying for work, and I thanked my lucky stars that I had them. Still, exit at customs did take long (I had wooden items to declare), but it avoided the 200m long line to get to the point of the checking of the IPCs and that's where the card did it's thing.

Far out MEL needs to get its s$#t together, this can't keep going on.

And it also needs to stop cost cutting its SQ boarding passes (wtf is with premium pax getting plain white card flimsy paper BPs regardless of R/F/J/W/Y?). It reeks of LCC stunts. Rant over haha.

Last edited:
My experience mirrors yours - also arrived in MEL on the morning of 27SEP on AI308 (the horror), and the queues, at every stage of the exit journey, were not just a zoo but an actual cattle carrier.

Fortunately I had 2 express path cards tucked away in my travel wallet from eons ago that were generously gifted by a friend a while back after he stopped flying for work, and I thanked my lucky stars that I had them. Still, exit at customs did take long (I had wooden items to declare), but it avoided the 200m long line to get to the point of the checking of the IPCs and that's where the card did it's thing.

Far out MEL needs to get its s$#t together, this can't keep going on.

And it also needs to stop cost cutting its SQ boarding passes (wtf is with premium pax getting plain white card BPs regardless of R/F/J/W/Y?). It reeks of LCC stunts. Rant over haha.
I've noticed the plain BP is more often for flights originating from Mel as opposed to other destinations. They are still dishing out the coloured SQ BP's at nearly all other airports.

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I've noticed the plain BP is more often than flights originating from Mel as opposed to other destinations. They are still dishing out the coloured SQ BP's at nearly all other airports.
Ive done maybe 3 or 4 total F and J flights from.melb and each time its been a flimsy boarding pass. My first time i was disappointed (first world.problems) but now i dont expect anything different as ive never seen a premium one

I've noticed the plain BP is more often for flights originating from Mel as opposed to other destinations. They are still dishing out the coloured SQ BP's at nearly all other airports.
Yep, it seems to be a MEL - only issue. I know SYD is doing the coloured ones (at least for J/F/R) and for BNE/PER/DRW I believe they are, and for ADL I'll find out in Jan. But it appears that only MEL has taken the amateur approach, which is terribly disappointing (especially for pax that only get to fly in premium classes every now and then rather than all the time).

It's not something I'd have expected SQ to have done (and for the record I've flown both TG and AI out of MEL as well, both way below in terms of perception and level of regard compared to SQ, and they've both had beautiful BPs (and that's in Y!!). Just something I've raised with SQ in feedback but have been ignored).
Ive done maybe 3 or 4 total F and J flights from.melb and each time its been a flimsy boarding pass. My first time i was disappointed (first world.problems) but now i dont expect anything different as ive never seen a premium one
Yeah exactly, it's not even cardstock, it's literally just a flimsy $2 shop ream of paper that the BP is printed on... Very LCC-like. For Y I'd understand, but if I paid full cash fares for J or F or R I'd be seriously disappointed.
SQ must know that people do keep BPs as souvenirs of important flights don't they?

On a similar note if the itinerary is connecting in SIN then the transfer desks can re print the onwards SIN - xx_ BP on the proper coloured BP stock (and recently it's been a pain to do this too), but if that flight is a smaller part of the journey than MEL - SIN, then it's just not the same. They won't reissue the MEL - SIN one.

Sorry for the rant, this has been a bugging issue ever since they dropped this.

@Cruiser Elite could you ask SQ MEL stn mgmt the next time you get on the blower to them? I'd ask you for the number but I feel that's restricted to confidential status so I won't. Cheers mate.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back