Strategy to obtain US Amex

Saw this info burried earlier in this thread but thought I would update a DP for CAP1 360 chking account for benefit of others looking for some help

Applied for account online using US rental address
Used Tello number
Used Passpt number with 2 additonal numbers for SS
Completed app and then got screen to call in to provide more information for application
Called in and Rep sent link SMS to upload photo of passpt
Uploaded passpt photo
Rep approved and opened account while on phone
Got online access details emailed and just deposited some $ from Wise account
Updated mailing address to Anytime address

No previous credit history so now would be apply for Amex??
Did you use an Aussie passport ? What do you mean by 2 additional numbers for SS ?

Given the sad demise of Maza, does anyone have a referral/discount code for an alternative ITIN service ?

The usual suspects (SH Studio, EINExpress) appear to be $500 without discount

Interestingly, it appears you can send a certified copy of your passport (rather than the original) when applying, but the certification does need to be done by the US consulate (looks like it would be around $100 all up). This is also a mail in service, but at least it’s local post rather than mailing it to Texas !

Just not sure which is the dodgier option - sending my passport in the mail (even locally), or having some random person on the internet take copies of it 😂

This seems an interesting website and is Canada focused - they offer a $140 CAD service - may be worth asking if they can do an Australian one

Last edited:
This seems an interesting website and is Canada focused - they offer a $140 CAD service
That only covers the easy part which is filling in the 1 pg form with your details. If you are going to go for that. You may as well do the whole process yourself and save the $140.

The hard part is mailing in the form, getting your passport notarised etc which that service does not cover.

The whole point of paying $400 to a CAA is so they can help certify your passport and mail in the application in for you.

The form itself is only 1 page and really easy to fill in yourself.

Given the sad demise of Maza, does anyone have a referral/discount code for an alternative ITIN service ?

The usual suspects (SH Studio, EINExpress) appear to be $500 without discount

Interestingly, it appears you can send a certified copy of your passport (rather than the original) when applying, but the certification does need to be done by the US consulate (looks like it would be around $100 all up). This is also a mail in service, but at least it’s local post rather than mailing it to Texas !

Just not sure which is the dodgier option - sending my passport in the mail (even locally), or having some random person on the internet take copies of it 😂
Maza is dead ?

The form itself is only 1 page and really easy to fill in yourself.
For those who have either completed a W7 themselves (or used a CAA), what reason was successfully used (a-h) for requesting the ITIN ? Assuming of course it was solely for US card purposes :)

I think I'm going to have a crack at doing it myself

For those who have either completed a W7 themselves (or used a CAA), what reason was successfully used (a-h) for requesting the ITIN ? Assuming of course it was solely for US card purposes :)

I think I'm going to have a crack at doing it myself
I have not done myself, but I hears the strategy is to declare an expectation of need to pay US income tax and pay tax on gambling in the first year. Then, declare $85 of online gambling winnings every 2-3 years to keep the ITIN active or just ignore it.

Saw this info burried earlier in this thread but thought I would update a DP for CAP1 360 chking account for benefit of others looking for some help

Applied for account online using US rental address
Used Tello number
Used Passpt number with 2 additonal numbers for SS
Completed app and then got screen to call in to provide more information for application
Called in and Rep sent link SMS to upload photo of passpt
Uploaded passpt photo
Rep approved and opened account while on phone
Got online access details emailed and just deposited some $ from Wise account
Updated mailing address to Anytime address

No previous credit history so now would be apply for Amex??
Hi mate - thanks for sharing this as this could be very helpful! I did try with an ITIN and as expected, it requires the person to go into a branch. When you used your passport number, what two numbers did you use at the end, or was it just random?

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back