Sydney Lounges - Qantas Business or Centurion?

Beer and spirits are not self serve in most DOM lounges except where there are no staff, e.g. Mackay.

Food is OK with basically 1-2 options so probably on par with QF for that.
Having seen the two hot options at QF J a few days ago... I don't think that you were missing out on much. They both looked watery, only had very small bits of "matter" in them, and both had that awful plasticky sheen.

One lounge that gets overlooked a lot is the Plaza Premium and Skyteam operated by PP, which has a view outside and was comfortable enough.

QF J menu

1707361751355.png

Plaza Premium hot food options
1707361942571.png1707361968763.png1707361988985.png

Here in SYD Amex lounge for the first time (can’t access QF as I’m flying FJ on award).

It’s a terrible lounge and I’d pay to go to the QF J lounge right now. Seating is terrible (none made for lounging) and a pretty uncomfortable way to spend three hours.

Food is OK with basically 1-2 options so probably on par with QF for that. Bar won’t do coughtails until 5pm and no spirits until 1pm. If you want a mimosa you get half sparkling and finish it yourself.

Sometimes it’s good to visit other lounges to make you appreciate what you have! (I’ll be back in the Flounge next trip out of SYD).
And, last time I tried, I couldn’t find any contact details so as to offer feedback on all the issues I experienced which resulted in one of the worst lounges I’ve ever visited..l

I'm flying out from SYD Int'l tomorrow. Do you have any recent experiences/updates on Amex vs. QF J lounge? Or is the general advice still to head straight to QF?

My flight leaves from Gate 53, around the corner from the Amex lounge.

I'm flying out from SYD Int'l tomorrow. Do you have any recent experiences/updates on Amex vs. QF J lounge? Or is the general advice still to head straight to QF?

Depends what you are looking for. Food? Seating? I’d argue the AmEx lounge. If you want a shower or want to have slightly more outdoor lighting and views, then Qantas Business lounge is better.

The other thing to consider is your Qantas status and where you are flying to. If it’s Gold, you are flying to somewhere other than the Americas on Qantas, and the lounge is open then I’d argue emirates is the best (it’s located beside the AmEx lounge)

I used AMEX Centurion a couple of times last year and found it unbearable. However, if you’re not bothered about out-of-control children whose parents don’t give a toss about anyone else and ‘musac’ which doesn’t fit well with a relaxing atmosphere, then go for it. The public space was better…
Having said all that, it may have improved since then, but I wouldn’t return.

Depends what you are looking for. Food? Seating? I’d argue the AmEx lounge. If you want a shower or want to have slightly more outdoor lighting and views, then Qantas Business lounge is better.

The other thing to consider is your Qantas status and where you are flying to. If it’s Gold, you are flying to somewhere other than the Americas on Qantas, and the lounge is open then I’d argue emirates is the best (it’s located beside the AmEx lounge)
Emirates is my option if leaving on a Qantas flight from the 50s and 60s gates, and you have the status. Not much of an outside view but the seating, food and drink are excellent.

You left out alcohol. Don’t go to Amex if you like to drink. QF is much better.

You left out alcohol. Don’t go to Amex if you like to drink. QF is much better.
You’re right at the Centurion lounge you’re served by a bartender who manages your boozing experience. Then again, if OP does have access to the Emirates lounge it is better than the QF J lounge as it’s self pour and it’s top shelf liquor. None of this Australian champagne nonsense.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

You’re right at the Centurion lounge you’re served by a bartender who manages your boozing experience. Then again, if OP does have access to the Emirates lounge it is better than the QF J lounge as it’s self pour and it’s top shelf liquor. None of this Australian champagne nonsense.
Thank you all for the latest insights. My flight (QF33) leaves at 2.55 pm, so EK is out. Looking at all the comments, it's a choice between two bad options! 😅

With a solid 25 hours in the air in J, there is no need to load up on drinks on the ground! There are plenty of opportunities to do that during the flight - and the 2 hours on the ground at the Perth Transit lounge. 😇

As above Amex won’t even give you spirits before 1pm.

EK wins for sure but that’s not what I was talking about.

Thank you all for the latest insights. My flight (QF33) leaves at 2.55 pm, so EK is out. Looking at all the comments, it's a choice between two bad options! 😅

With a solid 25 hours in the air in J, there is no need to load up on drinks on the ground! There are plenty of opportunities to do that during the flight - and the 2 hours on the ground at the Perth Transit lounge. 😇

Likely your flight will depart from a gate close to the QF lounges. I’d suggest going to Amex early on and repositioning to QF for the second half. The Amex lounge is a bit of a cupboard, the QF lounge is much bigger (but with more people) which at least feels less claustrophobic, and has natural light. That would be good before your long journey.

Or otherwise just go to QF. The Amex lounge isn’t really worth the long walk IMO.

Looking at all the comments, it's a choice between two bad options! 😅
As a wise little Mexican girl once suggested...

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

You could always do both. Given QF is near the main terminal entrance, you coukd always go there first check it out and then goto Amex later as your gates closer to there.

Likely your flight will depart from a gate close to the QF lounges. I’d suggest going to Amex early on and repositioning to QF for the second half. The Amex lounge is a bit of a cupboard, the QF lounge is much bigger (but with more people) which at least feels less claustrophobic, and has natural light. That would be good before your long journey.

Or otherwise just go to QF. The Amex lounge isn’t really worth the long walk IMO.
That's the weird thing: QF33 is showing as departing from Gate 53 on the app.

They’ll change. No point looking this far out.

QF33 left from 9 or 10 on its last flight (18th) and the one before that. I can’t remember which is which but both are close to the QF lounges.

Also keep in mind those are tentative gates. It may change tomorrow depending on the aircraft. It can even change while you're in the lounge if they change physical aircrafts.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back