The Qantas Newbie Questions Thread

Newly minted Qantas World Platinum with a question on the domestic lounge access on arrival perk. Are there any guest privileges to use such a perk? For instance, if my partner is flying with me on QF to PER, could we both access the QF J lounge on arrival or would it just be me? Another related question I have is how does lounge access on arrival work when travel crosses days? For instance, if I were to take the red eye from PER to SYD could I use the J lounge on arrival despite the arrival date being different than the departure date? What about flights like QF12 where you arrive 2 days later versus when you depart in LAX?

-RooFlyer88

Newly minted Qantas World Platinum with a question on the domestic lounge access on arrival perk. Are there any guest privileges to use such a perk? For instance, if my partner is flying with me on QF to PER, could we both access the QF J lounge on arrival or would it just be me? Another related question I have is how does lounge access on arrival work when travel crosses days? For instance, if I were to take the red eye from PER to SYD could I use the J lounge on arrival despite the arrival date being different than the departure date? What about flights like QF12 where you arrive 2 days later versus when you depart in LAX?

-RooFlyer88
I suspect if you ask at the lounge about “World” platinum access you’ll be denied. But they’re pretty good with WPs.

I've skimmed 10 pages of topics, and can't spot an appropriate thread for this issue; I spent hours looking across dates for a rewards itinerary for Europe, (I have a KF redemption from SIN-BRU as well) settling on:
But after entering the passenger details, I receive this error:
Before doing the obvious and calling QF, does anyone know where I find an answer/solution to this? I don't particularly want to phone QF as Silver to try and book this.
I suspect the issue may be in connecting the 2 EK flights through DXB. I've had this issue in the past, where you can only book the through-journey i.e. ZRH-SIN is available/bookable as a single segment, but combining ZRH-DXB and DXB-SIN in the multi-city tool gives this error. A married/divorced segments issue, perhaps.

To solve, try searching ZRH-SIN and see if your preferred flights are available. If not, the 2 segments may not be bookable on the same ticket.

I suspect if you ask at the lounge about “World” platinum access you’ll be denied. But they’re pretty good with WPs.
So that's a yes on the guest access?

Don't worry about me cutting the queue this time as I'll be arriving from a QF flight and have time to kill waiting for the bags to make it to the carousel!

So that's a yes on the guest access?

Don't worry about me cutting the queue this time as I'll be arriving from a QF flight and have time to kill waiting for the bags to make it to the carousel!

PER is terrible for bags. Last few times it's taken about 30 minutes between landing and bags starting to come out.

PER is terrible for bags. Last few times it's taken about 30 minutes between landing and bags starting to come out.
This is why I value lounge access on arrival be it with AA or QF. There is literally no waiting for bags if you have lounge access on arrival.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

-RooFlyer88
In my experience, they will let you bring in a guest on arrival.

Re the date, they have always accepted the arrival date as the date for using access on arrival when I have used this benefit.

Further, they don't seem to check how long you use the arrival perk - I have spent a lot of time in the lounge on arrival when travelling for business - on one occasion it was over 5 hours before I left and they never checked on me at all. Score!

I suspect the issue may be in connecting the 2 EK flights through DXB. I've had this issue in the past, where you can only book the through-journey i.e. ZRH-SIN is available/bookable as a single segment, but combining ZRH-DXB and DXB-SIN in the multi-city tool gives this error. A married/divorced segments issue, perhaps.

To solve, try searching ZRH-SIN and see if your preferred flights are available. If not, the 2 segments may not be bookable on the same ticket.
Thanks, might have to book two separate tickets then, as a couple of days for a DXB stopover and F to SIN are bucket list items :)

Last edited:
For points club reward flights, if a business domestic flight (Syd to Cairns via Brisbane) quotes 100 status credits (if paid fare) and a table from qantas quotes 28 status credits (if business reward domestic flight), will I only get 28 credits even though it’s a connecting flight?

For points club reward flights, if a business domestic flight (Syd to Cairns via Brisbane) quotes 100 status credits (if paid fare) and a table from qantas quotes 28 status credits (if business reward domestic flight), will I only get 28 credits even though it’s a connecting flight?
You will get
SYD > BNE (18SC)
BNE > CNS (28SC)
Or 46 total.

Just wanting to check my understanding of how to work out status earned through jetstar bundles.

I used the qantas points calculator but it’s unclear for connecting such as Syd to Cairns via Brisbane. Jetstar says 2400 points with a max bundle, would this be 50 status points based on the flex earn rates from the qantas calculator?

I used the qantas points calculator but it’s unclear for connecting such as Syd to Cairns via Brisbane. Jetstar says 2400 points with a max bundle, would this be 50 status points based on the flex earn rates from the qantas calculator?
Yes

Thanks, might have to book two separate tickets then, as a couple of days for a DXB stopover and F to SIN are bucket list items :)
Separate one-way bookings for DXB-PER or DXB-SIN both crash the website, before getting to see any flight options!

EDIT:
PER-SIN-PER works for 114,000 QFF + AU$472.46
ZRH-DXB-SIN works for 168,900QFF + CHF793

While the points remain the same, the "taxes" are now over $1,800 - where the booking engine for the whole trip in one ticket was only $1,206

If I call QF will they be able to do this booking as one ticket, or reduce the taxes/charges... or would I be wasting my time?

Last edited:
As a QFF PS, if its too complicated, they might spoil it, you(r) call will most likely go to the CPT/MNL/NAN QFF call centers.
===
For Fausaken, QF does not status ((points))...

While the points remain the same, the "taxes" are now over $1,800 - where the booking engine for the whole trip in one ticket was only $1,206

If I call QF will they be able to do this booking as one ticket, or reduce the taxes/charges... or would I be wasting my time?
For that saving in taxes, I'd try calling and see if it can be booked on the one ticket. At least you may get an answer on why it can't be booked. Or not (depending on the agent.)

Sorry if this has been asked and answered (I tried the search function and wasn't able to find a specific answer) - my wife has reached the 600,000pts/yr family transfers threshold (I'm almost at the threshold too) - just wondering if the 12 months is :

- Calendar year (ie. Jan to Dec)
- Membership year (my membership year is Nov to Nov)
or
- 12 months since the first family transfer (ie. I just checked my activity statement and the first family transfer I did was in Feb - so if it falls under this - I assume that the points transfer threshold will reset in Feb?)

For me, I've still got some points I'm able to transfer:

1699490621802.png

As per above, it only states "every 12 months" but not specifically under what definition of 12 months (ie. calendar or membership).

We don't have that many points (between us we had around 1m points prior to redeeming for our recent completed OWA), but we've had to transfer points to each other due to the fact that Qantas want the below :

1. They want / need all points to be deducted from the one account instead of both accounts as we booked on the one account rather than 1 adult for each account (we found out the hard way of doing that, as we booked a OWA but were looking at the 1 reward seat availability)

2. When they are able to see reward seats when we wish to amend our rewards bookings (not often!!), they require points to be already in the account prior to the call, hence we transfer points prior to calling

3. Sometimes (most times) agents aren't able to see the reward seats we can see online, so we just transfer points back to each other after giving up on trying to amend due to the above

We didn't even notice the 600k threshold until the last transfer which brought her over.

Thankyou in advance!

Last edited:
- 12 months since the first family transfer (ie. I just checked my activity statement and the first family transfer I did was in Feb - so if it falls under this - I assume that the points transfer threshold will reset in Feb?)
The terms and conditions refer to "any" 12-month period:
(d) each Member may only transfer a total of 600,000 Qantas Points in any 12-month period

Yep I did read this as well - so I'm assuming;

The transfer I did in Feb of this year for 280k points will only be "reset" / will "drop-off" in Feb of next year?
Yes - it's trailing 12 months. When you go to do the transfer, I believe it will look at the current date, and presumably any transfers made up to 364 days prior to the current date, for a total of points transferred, and then subtract that total from the 600K cap to tell you what you have left.

Cheers,
Matt.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back