Tipping At Australian Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often round up, rarely anything else. Increased labour costs are included in the higher prices we pay, why should I chip in extra?

Slightly off-topic but in a similar vein.....

Went on a pre-paid, personalised guided tour of a certain city last night with a business colleague which included a meal at a specified seafood restaurant.
My colleague is vegetarian and we went to great pains with the concierge of the hotel to ensure the tour company was aware that this was a requirement for the meal at the restaurant, and we were assured that the restaurant wouls cater for my colleague.

The tour was good, however the veg meal was not.
(Hint, rice + diced carrot + spinach + chili, does not equal a decent vegetarian meal. :shock: )

Did we tip? :lol:

And this is where it gets off-topic;

at the end of the night when we were dropped off at our Hotel, our guide "suggested" we "thank" the driver!

Excuse me? Isn't that what he is paid to do? :?:

I rarely tip on Oz. ..

Last year I had dinner at a cafe on King Street in Perth, where they actually brought an accompaniment to the main out *after* desert. :oops: While paying the guy serving us made it clear through his grunt when we crossed the 'tip' off the bill that the lack of a tip was unwelcome. My senior colleague (visiting from Sydney) let him have it. It was pretty funny to see. We have obviously not been back since.

Perth is pretty hit and miss, reliance on a mining boom has not helped this.

I won't tip in the States if the food or service is cough. That creates some discussion which doesn't end awfully well for the establishment concerned!

Perth is pretty hit and miss, reliance on a mining boom has not helped this.

I won't tip in the States if the food or service is cough. That creates some discussion which doesn't end awfully well for the establishment concerned!
I have only done it once-in NYC.When challenged I raised my voice and pointed out that the 1 cent tip(designed to be an insult) was because the food was terrible,the service worse and the signs of vermin intolerable.The line waiting to get in shortened considerably.On my next visit to NYC I was not surprised to see the restaurant had been closed down by the health department.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I don't tip, I think the fact I'm paying by eftpos or a visa DEBIT, should give away the fact I can't afford to pay more on top of what I've ordered.

You still have to tip even if the service/food is cough, well mostly.... :evil:

Only once I have been in that position and I left a tip of $0 for a $100 meal with a note saying that the service was poor. I never received my water I asked for, I don't like my wine coming after the main meal and all the other stuff ups.

So I gave my 0% tip with a clear note why! Explained that while we were Australian we knew the tipping system, but in this case the service was so bad (from the owner!!!) that we couldn't refuse to tip, and next time he'd be better staying out the back or counting the cash.

I have only done it once-in NYC.When challenged I raised my voice and pointed out that the 1 cent tip(designed to be an insult) was because the food was terrible,the service worse and the signs of vermin intolerable.The line waiting to get in shortened considerably.On my next visit to NYC I was not surprised to see the restaurant had been closed down by the health department.

Perfect!!!!!!

I was debating doing it that way, but since the owner was serving us, it was pointless, so I wrote a note as per my above post.

You still have to tip even if the service/food is cough, well mostly.... :evil:

Only once I have been in that position and I left a tip of $0 for a $100 meal with a note saying that the service was poor. I never received my water I asked for, I don't like my wine coming after the main meal and all the other stuff ups.

So I gave my 0% tip with a clear note why! Explained that while we were Australian we knew the tipping system, but in this case the service was so bad (from the owner!!!) that we couldn't refuse to tip, and next time he'd be better staying out the back or counting the cash.

I gave them a tip.....don't deal with Australians!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back