TR: Namibia, South Africa and Israel - A lengthy journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks flying mermaid (gee I wish I had chosen a more exciting tag name than I did haha!!!!)
we booked him in PE because he would at least be happy there. It was first time we flew PE instead of economy and we said we not ever doing a long haul in economy again!!! So now I am frantically building points here there and everywhere! Stocked up 3 times in the month because I was offered 1000 points on EDR card from woollies for $200 shop!!!

we'll keep hoping for the upgrade. I don't think they let you know til 48 hrs before??? But we did tick accept right up to check in so hope we covered every option!

Thanks flying mermaid (gee I wish I had chosen a more exciting tag name than I did haha!!!!)
we booked him in PE because he would at least be happy there. It was first time we flew PE instead of economy and we said we not ever doing a long haul in economy again!!! So now I am frantically building points here there and everywhere! Stocked up 3 times in the month because I was offered 1000 points on EDR card from woollies for $200 shop!!!

we'll keep hoping for the upgrade. I don't think they let you know til 48 hrs before??? But we did tick accept right up to check in so hope we covered every option!
hope he is lucky! Yes checking up until the gate is the right thing to do. Although they say 48 hours before it might easily only be a short while before. With my son I think it was around 18 hours before the flight that his came through. I totally understand what you mean about economy - in 2000 we were building a new house which was gobbling up our cash so I flew economy with the kids to London - I got to Heathrow and phoned Mr FM who was in Australia with the youngest one and was literally in tears on the phone saying I can't do this going home! Just a warning - once you have experienced a bed in J, PE won't cut it either. :). Anyway we better not go too off topic on this thread - I am a chronic offender. :(

This looks like a great opportunity to try the wines of many different areas...enjoy

Do you have lounge access in SYD Daver6? I will be in the SYD QF J lounge around the same time as you'll be passing through on Saturday ahead of QF63. Unfortunately I can't offer lounge access as I'll be on QF121, but do say hi if you're around. :)

Do you have lounge access in SYD Daver6? I will be in the SYD QF J lounge around the same time as you'll be passing through on Saturday ahead of QF63. Unfortunately I can't offer lounge access as I'll be on QF121, but do say hi if you're around. :)

Yes I will have lounge access. I'm actually considering checking out the Amex lounge first though. Feel free to PM me your details though.

So after the palaver outlined in in this thread http://www.australianfrequentflyer....program/qf-social-media-team-being-68332.html we are now travelling in J from SYD to JNB

Therefore a menu update is in order. The last item, the kingfish ceviche is the only available for pre-order item. It looks appealing and I just might pre-order it for lunch. I also note, the schnitzel sandwich which was pre-order only for Y+ is a standard on-board option for J.

Screenshot (20).jpg

With one sleep to go, I'm excited. We are staying at the Rydges Sydney airport tomorrow night with a queen (read cheapest) room booked. I'm a repeat customer so fingers crossed for an upgrade to a king bed, but not too fussed. We arrive at 6:30pm and heading out to dinner at Kelly's steakhouse with friends who live in Sydney. Then up early the following morning, so really is a shower and bed for the night.

Not sure if I ever put it in our TR but we scored a free upgrade from Y to Y+ for all five of us on the return leg. Plus a shadow for the husband who is WP. Made for a nice end.

So the trip has started. The flight to from PER to SYD was in a refurbed A330. I was seated in 2A and MrsDaver6 in 2E (ie across the aisle). However, the rows don't quite line up so chatting was not possible. Not really an issue.

Pre-departure drink was a sparkling Cabernet (non-alcoholic). Really refreshing and hit the spot

P5290006.jpg
Ample leg room
P5290007.JPG
Not exactly practical to chat with MrsDaver6
P5290008.jpg
The menu. I selected the prosciutoo as an entree and lamb for a main. Both dishes were excellent and some of the best airline food I've had!
P5290010.JPG

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Seemed appropriate to be on Swan Valley as we flew out
P5290001.jpg

P5290011.jpg
The area for your feet. Not as squeezy as some have made out to be
P5290013.jpg
Fully reclined. Size 10 boots fit in, no problem
P5290022.JPG
Finally, nuts served on a place and not out of a bag!
P5290023.jpg

The food.

I thought the new J product is excellent. Privacy galore. Seat, soft and comfortable. Much nicer to sit in than both model skybeds in my opinion. Service was good.

One thing to keep in mind. If you want to work (ie write) ensure the table is on the same side as the hand you write with.

P5290024.jpg
P5290025.jpg

Now in Sydney after a night at the Rydges. Checked out the Amex lounge which was rather small and full. Grabbed a coffee and headed to the QF J lounge where I caught up with Mattg. We had a great little chat before he had to board his flight. And on that note, I should be boarding soon. More to come...

Very nice to see you this morning, even if only for a short time. I hope you enjoyed your flight to JNB after that whole debacle!

A quick update half way from SYD to JNB while I await a mid flight snack to be prepared.

Boarding was delayed 20 minutes with actual departure delayed about an hour. When you're travelling for leisure and in J it somehow doesn't seem to you as much. We are seated in 1J and 1K in a refubished 3 class 747. We've sat in these seats before (well actually 1A and 1B) to and from Hong Kong last year so knew what to expect. I'm quite a fan of them mainly due to the privacy they afford and lack of food traffic. Getting food and drinks first doesn't detract either.

Pre-departure champagne was the Charles Heidsieck and my left favourite of the four on offer. Of course, I still enjoy it. Not long after take-off amenity bags and pyjamas were handed out.

Then the food service begins and it's bag to pretzels and nuts in a little bag. I much preferred both the presentation and nuts provided in the little bowl in domestic J. I had the meal I ordered (duck noodle starter and kingfish ceviche as the main). They were both excellent. Really fresh flavours and hit the spot.

Soon most people had the shades down and went to sleep. This seemed bizarre given the day had just commenced. I can sleep during the day and don’t plan (ie no chance of falling asleep) to on this flight. Sitting on the starboard side of the aircraft by the window, I have my shades up with the sun streaming onto me. Perfect while reading the paper and a book. I do feel slightly guilty that I'm letting light into the cabin, but then think people have eye masks.

Both on this flight and yesterdays, the crew really have had an excellent, can do attitude.

Unfortunately the furthest south we are heading today is about 50 degrees. Way too far north for a glimpse of Antarctica. I'm told that you need to be about 60 degrees south to see anything. Lousy strong head winds down there.

For some reason I decided to give the massage function on the skybed a go, even though I've thought you could barely feel anything. This one was much better. I could actually feel it pushing and prodding my back. Not that I couldn't feel the others, but they just seemed so timid. Perhaps this is the first seat where it works properly? Either way, it isn't that amazing and just a bit of a marketing gimmick I think.

On a tangent, I bought myself some new headphones prior to this trip. I previously used Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b noise cancelling headphones. These are over the ear, closed domes. I've had them about 5 years and been really happy with them. Excellent value for money. Pretty comfortable, excellent sound quality and should the AAA battery run down, still work. The downside for me was their bulk. They come in a carry case but they don't fold up. I decided I wanted something smaller.

I eventually decided on the Sennheiser CXC-700 in ear noise cancelling headphones. They retail for about $300 in Australia. Luckily my brother happened to be heading to the US for work and managed to buy some, delivered to his hotel for just over US$100. Add on another US$12 to post to me, I had a bargain.

I love how small the little pouch is. They are comfortable to wear and do pretty good effort at noise cancellation. Sound quality is pretty good too. Overall, the Audio Technica ones probably provide slightly better noise isolation and sound, I'm likely to stick with these due to how compact they are.

Well,well.The duck noodle salad and kingfish cerviche I had as part of the F meal SYD-LAX 2 weeks ago.

Great reading especially as hoping for an upgrade same flight in August for my husband. We have only done PE!

We used to try and get some sleep on that leg (not very successfully as I can't sleep in the day). We were usually connecting through to Durban and then hiring a car and driving to accommodation. Time differences meant you were arriving in Durban around 4am Australian time, so a bit of sleep going over was a good idea - especially given how crazy traffic is in South Africa. Annual road toll of around 14,000. If you overnight in Joburg, then you don't need to - we are doing that in September as delayed flights make connections too stressful anyway. Glad the trip is going well so far.

Farewell Sydney
P5300049.jpg
Plenty of leg room and loving the sun, but something is missing!
P5300053.JPG
Solutions orientated cabin crew quickly fixed the issue :)
P5300054.jpg
Finally, made it to Africa
P5300065.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back