USA doesn't use 24 hour clock ?

Meh, 24hr/UTC Does not compares with Solar day or Sidereal Day + correction for Earths precession (AKA precession of the equinoxes) , tidal effects, earthquakes.

Last edited:
As I understand time zones UTC is is pretty much the accepted. Military time zones just makes it easier for the Sigs to receive and respond to comms/messages as all time is transmitted in local time with the correct time zone designator. When calling in Artillery, CAS or NGS time on target is quite important but relevant to to the average punter.

Edit. Last sentence should have been, When calling in Artillery, CAS or NGS time on target is quite important but not relevant to to the average punter.

Last edited:
When calling in Artillery, CAS or NGS time on target is quite important but relevant to to the average punter.
Especially if they’re targeting the HQ next to your hotel with Naval Gunfire Support!

But we’re probably digressing from 24 hr time flying in/out of the US of A…. 🤔

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

It’s not a surprise, they are still using miles, feet, inches, gallons, ounce, Fahrenheit, pound. Even the dates are wrong
Someone will drag that nation kicking and screaming into the new millennium one of these days…

I thought the 24h clock was the standard. Mrs eric2011 is currently sitting at Auckland domestic terminal because I booked her an 8.30 flight believing it was AM. Turns out ANZ dont use 24h clock either because it turns out I had booked the 8.30PM. Make matters worse she cant get into the ANZ reginal lounge until 4 hour prior.
Guess who's not a happy camper.:mad:😭

The first few months after moving to London I was getting annoyed at places listing things in 24 hour time and having to 'convert' afternoon and evening times to PM, but now many years of living here and 24 hour time comes completely natural to me.

Also when my phone settings updated the region from English Australia to English UK the time display changed to 24 hour time which forced me to learn it.

My greatest problem with 24h time is in Europe. First of all I have to translate the words into English, then translate the time into 12h!

This is infinitely worse in the Netherlands, where "10 past half seventeen" means 4:40 pm. Try working that out after imbibing!
So when you say they're translating into English ... you're even translating into the time in England? :) :) :)

[Enjoying bad dad-jokes on time & language comparisons/differences? Guilty your honour!]

I lived in the US relatively recently and checked with a couple of friends there over the weekend. I don't know a single American who doesn't refer to it as military time.
I was referring to “elsewhere” (outside the US). Definitely “military time” still used there.

Of all first-world countries, the US probably has the highest proportion of it's populace in the military ... and the military probably can't afford the stupidity of doing something inefficiently Old Skool just-because. So a sensible measure is probably "military style" to a heap of people.
Like measuring distance in imperial foot-skarlings, they don't do that sillyness, they use kilometres like the enlightened world.

I like to have some fun when in the USA and regularly tell my American friends, colleagues or people I meet in random places (like department stores) about how American's get so confused when the travel to Australia because we use metric time down here - 100 seconds in a minute, 100 mins in an hour, and 10 hours in a half-day. Then I show them my dual-time watch (analogue for American time and digital insert for Metric time) and they are amazed that I can convert quickly between the two time systems.

This is infinitely worse in the Netherlands, where "10 past half seventeen" means 4:40 pm. Try working that out after imbibing!
Whatcha saying? That's so easy: "Five past half two" = 1.35 or 13.35, and "five to quarter past two" = 2.10 or 14.10. Similarly, it's half of seventeen...;)

But what does "half two" mean in Australia, please? After all these years here I'm still confused. It seems that some people refer to 1:30 and some to 2:30 with it.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back