USA Entry - CBP Mobile Passport control app [MPC]

I traveled on QF11 from SYD-LAX on July 21st 2024 and had the MPC process on my phone completed and arrived at immigration hall to a grumpy worker pointing to the normal visitor line saying MPC was closed :(
Anyone else had that experience recently
Yeah, I had the same experience coming off QF11 on August 16th. Asked where the MPC queue was and was told, "We don't do that here" and got sent to the normal line.

Can somebody assist me with a few queries regarding the MPC please? I haven’t heard of this before but read about it in the newspaper today. The writer did say “From January” but maybe scrolling through here suggests maybe otherwise. So I am travelling to the US next month with my 23 yo daughter, and this will be the second time we have entered the US on our current ESTA visa. We will be entering at LAX and if there is a way to shorten the entry process I’m all for it. My questions are -

Can we use the MPC app given these facts?

Is the app simple to use? I have already downloaded it but gone no further until I get more information.

Can I enter all the information into the app now or do I need to wait until I have landed?

If we can use it for entry, does it actually save any time? I don’t want to be faffing around at LAX and end up having to go in the normal queue which is now 100 metres longer than when we landed.

If we can use it do we go into a different queue to the normal cattle line?

If there is a separate queue, is it clearly marked and what is the queue called?

Really appreciate any assistance. Thanks

Can somebody assist me with a few queries regarding the MPC please? I haven’t heard of this before but read about it in the newspaper today. The writer did say “From January” but maybe scrolling through here suggests maybe otherwise. So I am travelling to the US next month with my 23 yo daughter, and this will be the second time we have entered the US on our current ESTA visa. We will be entering at LAX and if there is a way to shorten the entry process I’m all for it. My questions are -

Is the app simple to use? I have already downloaded it but gone no further until I get more information.

Can I enter all the information into the app now or do I need to wait until I have landed?

If we can use it for entry, does it actually save any time? I don’t want to be faffing around at LAX and end up having to go in the normal queue which is now 100 metres longer than when we landed.

If there is a separate queue, is it clearly marked and what is the queue called?

Would be worth reading the last few posts first.
Bottom line, in the USA nothing is guaranteed. If you want iron clad guarantee it’s faster, just use the normal lines.

Thanks and yes, I actually scrolled through the 5 pages but the information in many cases was either contradictory or off topic or dated, so I figured it might be better to be clear and concise with my questions and hopefully get some correct information

I flew into IAD a couple of weeks back and downloaded MPC as I deplaned. Completed app and took selfie on the strange shuttle they use for transfer.

On arrival into the main immigration area there were lots of signs saying to download and use MPC And look out for the MPC line. Super quick and efficient, I think I got out in about 5 mins and the place was looking to be quite busy for the normal passport lines. Definitely worth using.

I have Aus passport and ESTA. Didn't even need to show anyone esta or mpc, it must all come up when they scan your face and passport.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Yes. We used it in late September with one of us on a new etsa and one on a previously used etsa and worked fine. You add everyone under the same submission

Yes you can enter the information now but you only submit it when you land
The process through the MPC line was quite quick in LAX. We were out in under 15 minutes from landing
Yes it’s sign posted MPC quite clearly to the left of the normal immigration lines. There were people to assist.

I flew into IAD a couple of weeks back and downloaded MPC as I deplaned. Completed app and took selfie on the strange shuttle they use for transfer.

On arrival into the main immigration area there were lots of signs saying to download and use MPC And look out for the MPC line. Super quick and efficient, I think I got out in about 5 mins and the place was looking to be quite busy for the normal passport lines. Definitely worth using.

I have Aus passport and ESTA. Didn't even need to show anyone esta or mpc, it must all come up when they scan your face and passport.
Thank you.
Post automatically merged:

Yes. We used it in late September with one of us on a new etsa and one on a previously used etsa and worked fine. You add everyone under the same submission

Yes you can enter the information now but you only submit it when you land

The process through the MPC line was quite quick in LAX. We were out in under 15 minutes from landing

Yes it’s sign posted MPC quite clearly to the left of the normal immigration lines. There were people to assist.
Thank you! Perfect.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back