Weight-loss drugs predicted to save airlines millions

I think stomach banding via surgery and change of diet can work worders, if I understand it right, they take part of your stomach out, and band it with something, so you feel fuller and stop eating a lot.
Granted, if a person still ate lots of HJ/McD/KFC, and drank a lot of alcy still, they probably wouldn't help with weight loss.
And no, I haven't done/had the stomach banding.
Edit: ahh, so stomach removal is a different procedure, not about loosing weight, just had a look at Dr Google.
===
At the dep gate, you always hope, and say to yourself "I hope that person is not the one going to be seated next to me, I hope not".
Of course, you can't say it out loud.

Surgery reduces the amount of solid food you can eat because stomach is made smaller. But it does nothing to make sure you eat healthier - you hear of people liquidising big macs or pizza. Also part of the weight you lose is muscle, as your body canibalises itself as you don't get enough protein.

I know 3 people who have had weight loss surgery

1. Lost weight but now has a heart condition so can't be as active as she was pre-surgery.

2. Lost weight ended up quite isolated because hard to eat out socially when you have trouble digesting solid food, but then put it all back on as heaps on calories in drinks and sugar based candies.

3. Lost weight but getting adequate nutrition is a constant struggle, takes crazy amounts of supplements And now has osteoporosis.

Starving oneself via weight loss surgery may be quicker way to lose but not a good way.

I've read that as soon as one stops taking these drugs, the weight comes back on. It will be interesting to see the long term effects of taking these drugs.
There's no such thing as a free lunch.

The drugs work on appetite and blood sugar. The fallacy is that people are always eating because they are hungry, when in fact it can be habit or emotional eating where they have learnt to ignore full switch.

Or hormonal.

People gain when they stop taking the drug but also when they stop dieting. Diet programs are just as full of return customers.

Last edited:
KFC et al are doing a roaring trade at our airports, making lots of money, but of course, its us the travelling public who do not partake of KFC et al every day, unlike some, who bear it with ow persons sitting next to us.
I am larger, but not as big as some...
I do NOT man spread, unlike some.
Neither do I elbow touch, unlike some.
Heh. caloric amnesia indeed.
Not that I have the ideal solution of what is the best, maybe large pax (NOT PC) should be made to buy the seat next to them, ala comfort seat booking.

Airlines end up having to cater for most passengers except overweight ones. Why is that? Because there's an (incorrect) assumption that excess weight comes from a) laziness, b) lack of willpower, etc. and that you can fix it with diet and exercise. Yet overweight people that I know often have far more willpower than the average person. And diet and exercise simply do not fix the issue, no matter how much we all wish it did. It's one of the last legal discriminations left in society.

Overweight people would be happy to buy a seat that fitted them, same as most tall people would be happy to buy a seat to fit them. But 50% wider seats are only sold as business class seats, and they aren't 50% more expensive. Most would be more than happy to pay 50% more for a 50% bigger seat. But often an $89 economy ticket will be $589 for business. Seats with 50% more leg room aren't 7 times the price. Why are seats that are 50% wider so much more expensive?

So buying 2 x economy tickets ends up being the option. Even then though, most airlines make it very, very difficult to buy that extra seat. Why isn't that trivial? Why can't you just do it on the website like buying any other seat?

NOT PC.
There was an article that said Obese should get a free seat next to them.
I do so hate man touching, esp the person who overtly wants to let their body touch mine on a flight.
Hey dude, I am not leanupon man, man.

Obese people should pay for the extra seat, not be subsidised those who are more responsible in their diet and health choices.

Passengers should also be weighed and measured before boarding to ensure they fit in the seat.

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Well JB we both go to the toilet just before we leave for the gate. We must have saved the airlines a fortune.;)

The drugs work on appetite and blood sugar. The fallacy is that people are always eating because they are hungry, when in fact it can be habit or emotional eating where they have learnt to ignore full switch.
I only feel full when I’ve eaten enough to make me sick.
I doubt that’s particularly uncommon.

Well, just think how much they could save if a pre-flight visit to the toilet was mandatory.....
Douglas Adams said:
  • The fabulously beautiful planet Bethselamin is now so worried about the coughulative erosion by ten billion visiting tourists a year that any net imbalance between the amount you eat and the amount you excrete while on the planet is surgically removed from your body weight when you leave: so every time you go to the lavatory there it is vitally important to get a receipt.

Ozempic is a medication to assist in the control of Type 2 Diabetes.

With the world wide shortage, it irresponsible for it to be prescribed purely for weight loss purposes.

With the world wide shortage, it irresponsible for it to be prescribed purely for weight loss purposes.

I understand what you are saying, but I’m not sure it’s that black and white…. healthcare professionals are entirely able to direct off label use at their discretion for many drugs/devices if there is a clear clinical benefit and in this case obesity also a chronic condition that has severe health consequences for the person who is overweight.

The shortage is pretty much within the control of the manufacturer.
Off label use contributes to their bottom line. It’s in their interests that demand exceeds supply.

Once off patent all of this goes.

Sadly the media has hyped up drugs designed for those struggling with the complications of type 2 diabetes as "miracle" cures for non-type 2 diabetics who are simply overweight. Obese patients typically pressure doctors into prescribing drugs like dulaglutide and semaglutide (commonly known as Trulicity and Ozempic respectively) because they are on the PBS and relatively inexpensive at $30 for a one month supply.

Mounjaro has only just been released in Australia but AFAIK will only be initially sold in vials and the patient will need to be educated on how to draw up the correct dosage and inject it using a syringe and needle. A process somewhat more complex than the injection of Trulicity or Ozempic. Another consideration is Mounjaro which isn't currently on the PBS and will cost somewhere between $700 to $1200 per month depending on the dosage. This might make dieting and a gym membership somewhat more more appealing to those simply overweight due to poor diet, overeating and a lack of physical exercise.

The disadvantage of all of the aforementioned drugs is they are for life. As soon as you stop taking them and if you aren't a type 2 diabetic and haven't ceased your bad eating habits and lack of exercise the poundage will quickly return to the scene of the crime. As a previous poster has suggested - money talks. Doctors prescribing drugs to people who are too lazy to take a walk to burn off the excess weight or just don't want to quit their high 5000 calories per day food intakes to the exclusion of those who need a therapeutic intervention is IMHO similar to those who went out and bought a car load of toilet paper during the COVID-19 pandemic.

So you deride overweight and obese struggling to lose weight telling them to go for a walk, but have all the sympathy for type 2 diabetics.

Problem with that is unlike type 1 and 1.5, type 2 is mostly caused by the same behviour (poor dietary choices, lack of exercise) as the obese. Being obese is a precursor to type 2 for many.

So it's not ok to help people before they end up drug dependent for life, but fine once they already are?

I know a type 2s who manages their condition solely through diet, exercise and monitoring; lifelong drugs aren't a fate acompli.

The assumption here is that none who get pharmaceutical help to get back into the healthy range are going to stick with their healthier regime afterwards if they stop taking drugs. This will be true for many but not all.

Just like diets, some genetically predisposed to weight gain are happy to keep counting those calories and restricting themselves for life. Others falter.

FYI not all overweight people eat to excess, and not all are inactive.

Though I learnt the hard way just because someone tells you they don't eat excessively and exercise a lot doesn't mean it is true.
I remember an obese woman who I looked after in my first year as a consultant. A great history teller. I believed it and admitted her to hospital for a calorie controlled diet and an exercise program. on the fourth day a nurse found the problem. She had noticed that she went to the toilet a lot and always went into the same cubicle so went into the cubicle after she had visited and in the cistern found 2 packets of chocolate mint slice biscuits.

Sadly the media has hyped up drugs designed for those struggling with the complications of type 2 diabetes as "miracle" cures for non-type 2 diabetics who are simply overweight.
I‘m not sure about conventional media as I see/hear little of it these days; the pressure selling this stuff is all in clickbait ads on social media such as this site. The drug companies are of course the ones paying for that …

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back