Woolworths gift card thread

If you are concerned about that I recommend signing up for Revolut for its free single-use card numbers
Good to know. I hadn't had any specific concerns until that dude mentioned that he uses the cards to avoid having websites save his credit card info. He uploads them (where available) to Paypal.

I was told a while ago that it was "easier" to use the service desk register to purchase these sorts of cards but a few weeks ago for the Luxury promo, the guy there said just use the self service checkout.
My personal rule is self check out for fixed value cards, service desk for variable. This is based on the silly self check out flow for variable cards which require staff to come and assist twice, at 2 different times.

I bought 2 at self service which was ok but the staff member had to do multiple approvals, so it took a while.

Bought 2 the next day (different Woolworths), went through the checkout, much quicker.

I have questions about spending them though. I have rates over $500 and rego over $500, can't seem to figure out a way to make it work with split payments online, or even at the post office they rejected paying the bill with a gift card. I added one to Sniip but still can't seem to work it out, they did say some companies don't accept split payments.

Any tip or ideas?

even at the post office they rejected paying the bill with a gift card
Do you mean rejected as in the terminal rejected it, or staff did? If staff, don't tell them. I hold the card in my hand, they'll ask a question like "is it a debit or credit card?" and I'll say yes if it's a prepaid MC/Visa or "eftpos card" if it's a prepaid eftpos card, then swipe and do my thing.

That said, one time the post office staffer saw the card face after I swiped and chucked a tantrum, so I'll leave it up to your personal judgement on if it's the right thing to do or not - to my knowledge there is no specific rule against using gift cards at auspost, but staff seem to apply their own opinions. The txn had already gone through in my case so there was nothing she could do except rave at me that "gift cards are for buying... things" to which I told her I'd just bought some tax and thanks for the heads up.

I don't go to that P/O anymore. I have found a friendlier one that doesn't care what card I swipe, as long as I pay. Another potentially helpful detail is that my friendly PO is a newsagency franchisee and not an auspost run outlet, and I find that makes a significant difference in friendliness and resourcefulness.

Last edited:
Do you mean rejected as in the terminal rejected it, or staff did? If staff, don't tell them. I hold the card in my hand, they'll ask a question like "is it a debit or credit card?" and I'll say yes if it's a prepaid MC/Visa or "eftpos card" if it's a prepaid eftpos card, then swipe and do my thing.

That said, one time the post office staffer saw the card face after I swiped and chucked a tantrum, so I'll leave it up to your personal judgement on if it's the right thing to do or not - to my knowledge there is no specific rule against using gift cards at auspost, but staff seem to apply their own opinions. The txn had already gone through in my case so there was nothing she could do except rave at me that "gift cards are for buying... things" to which I told her I'd just bought some tax and thanks for the heads up.

I don't go to that P/O anymore. I have found a friendlier one that doesn't care what card I swipe, as long as I pay. Another potentially helpful detail is that my friendly PO is a newsagency franchisee and not an auspost run outlet, and I find that makes a significant difference in friendliness and resourcefulness.
The thing is though is that the value of the card is $500 but the bill I need to pay is more than that so can I just ask them to charge $500 to that card and then pay the extra with another card?

They also said credit card couldn't be used to pay the bill (this was rates), she showed me a list of payment options on the screen and credit card wasn't an option. The other bill is for rego and even Sniip said that can't be a split payment :-(

AP won't accept credit for bills. Many have homemade signs saying no giftcards. Some but not all Eftpos cards work there if you are subtle. No problem splitting

I use the prepaid master cards from Coles for my rates. Pay online, put put in what amount to pay (amount of prepaid card) and goes thru in couple days. Pay remsing odd balance with credit card. As I hate coughty amounts left on prepaid / gift cards etc.
Pre paid visa same deal.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back