Worst Domestic Qantas Lounges & What Can be Done About It?

Which Airport has the Worst Qantas Domestic Lounge?

• Sydney

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Adelaide

• Hobart

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • Launceston

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Perth

• Brisbane

• Alice Springs

• Canberra

• Darwin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More people fly to from SYD so those lounges will be over represented. The discussion is good and I the poll has value, but it’s statistically invalid.
This year the worst lounge I’ve been in is Cairns Q Club. It even ran out of cheese for the toastie machine. LHR Business lounge was surprisingly poor, overcrowded and had a queue of 12 for the toilet. The gin coughtail menu had disappeared. SYD first came in top, and LAX and SIN follow closely behind, they just lack a view. SYD domestic business food has been declining. I was excited to see a pancake machine, but alas it was broken.

SYD first came in top, and LAX and SIN follow closely behind, they just lack a view.
MEL First is the top on my list. It’s not rammed with passengers in the way SYD F often is. LAX First is fine for dining but limited seating options if you’re trying to work on something on your laptop. Haven’t been to SIN. Then again SIN wouldn’t be my first choice for connecting airports.
SYD domestic business food has been declining. I was excited to see a pancake machine, but alas it was broken.
I have never been impressed by the food selection at the SYD QF Club or the QF business club (if someone is unfortunate enough to use the latter, a downgraded lounge). You’re lucky if you get something more than toasties and salads from the food bar. Contrast that with MEL where there is a selection of foods (including a ramen bar) or Perth with its alleged pizza.

On the HBA redevelopment, I happen to know there is currently a tender out for the early works including road realignment and service relocations right now, to start in probably April ahead of a main contractor starting on the main terminal in the latter end of this year. The tender is real and full design a fair way there for the terminal
well, that didn’t exactly happen - quelled surpris!

The first works were to extend the car parks especially sending the cheaper options further away from the terminal.

They have recently started groundworks on what looks like the terminal extension, but I strongly suspect it’ll just be the hire car buildings and not the passenger terminal.

Passenger amenity - as in more space for people in the terminal - will be the absolute last priority after fixing up every other revenue generating part of the place.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Do you know why?
Sorry, I forgot to ask. Hopefully it's worthwhile, all jokes aside I was in disbelief at the state of the toilets in the QP as well. I honestly don't think they've seen a deep clean since my first visit, circa 2003.

Also had the classic experience of being told off by staff because of the mess at the sandwich presses. Which had nothing to do with me or the two other people standing there waiting, but it's good to know "our job isn't to clean up after you."

At least she wasn't joking. I went through at least 4 coffee cups to find a clean one at the self-service machine, of the 6 stacks of plates at the "buffet", no less than 4 were dirty/marked with food leftovers and I gave up trying to find a clean fork.

The abruptness of Australian service culture is always a shock after returning from Japan.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back