AFR Article - Joe Aston goes BAM!

The PM responds to the situation today:

Albanese defends Qantas allegations (The Oz on-line)

Then the question becomes: Does Qantas allow every CL member to invite someone else, if not their spouse/partner? Or was the PM being done a special favour?

In fact are all CL members able to ask spouses/partners?
It's OK...it's not a bribe as I have declared it! Wow....and I hope everyone convicted of receiving a bribe in an official public position remembers this!
Post automatically merged:

Be careful not to turn this thread into a one sided political attack.

Ref: Flying high: How politicians travel in style
Both sides are equally bad!

Last edited:
Sounds like an intriguing book.

In the question of upgrades, I don't see any significant concern with politicians receiving the occasional OpUp, or even unsolicited goodwill upgrades.

However if the politicians are soliciting upgrades, on leisure travel for themselves and family, that's completely out of order. If they hold a ministry or shadow ministry that has association with the aviation sector, that's worse again. These upgrades can be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Politicians should know better than to ask. Qantas should know better than to accede.

In my work, this scenario is quite literally part of our anti corruption training.

I suspect quite a few of them have done this. Wouldn't be surprised to see more names come out.

Last edited:
Nine are now claiming that Albo failed to declare thousands of dollars of free flight upgrades provided to his then wife whilst he was transport minister. This include free upgrades for her on flights to Europe, LA and Honolulu.

Nine are now claiming that Albo failed to declare thousands of dollars of free flight upgrades provided to his then wife whilst he was transport minister. This include free upgrades for her on flights to Europe, LA and Honolulu.
Airbus Albo needs to clean his image (if possible) before the next election before there is a crash landing. ;)

Getting more interesting...
....Albanese had not disclosed multiple flight upgrades for his former wife, Carmel Tebbutt, during their relationship despite transparency rules covering spouses. Tebbutt disclosed them to NSW parliament during her time as a state Labor....

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Sky are reporting that Tony Abbot was offered several upgrades around the time QF was seeking financial support (circa 2013) but he declined them all.

I wouldn’t trust Sky ‘News’ on any issue really, but especially this one as don’t forget Sky got canned as QF’s broadcaster some time back. That station is petty enough for revenge.

I wouldn’t trust Sky ‘News’ on any issue really, but especially this one as don’t forget Sky got canned as QF’s broadcaster some time back. That station is petty enough for revenge.

Well it came directly from his chief of staff.

I guess if you want to be partisan you can have that view but we aren't supposed to be discussing partisan politics on AFF. My comment is relevant to the thread.

They also said Bridget McKenzie said she'd never accepted an upgrade either except they uncovered the register where she did declare an upgrade, so she has conceded that point.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back