AMEX Platinum Reserve Benefits

tedii

Hi all,

New to the community here. Just wanted to see whether anyone would be able to help shed some light on the benefits attached to the AMEX Platinum Reserve.

I am currently an AMEX Platinum Charge member and have been considering applying for the AMEX Platinum Reserve card as a "companion card" and to further leverage the free additional card holder function to help me expand the pooling of points.

However, there appears to be limited information about the Platinum Reserve card and information that is available appears to be mixed and often contradicts each other. I guess I am looking for an updated (2024 relevant) summary of the Platinum Reserve card benefits (for new cards) and what, if any, of these benefits would be applicable for both the primary card and additional cards.

Would really appreciate response or any useful links provided.

Thanks,
E

Hi
Suspect there may be some who know more than me. I hold the "old" version which comes with a travel credit but now it doesn't.

As I understand it for new applicants:-

*No annual fee while you hold Charge
*Points earn same as Charge
*No included hotel statuses but do have access to Hotel Collection (but not FHR)
*No lounge access
*Included travel insurance (similar to Charge in terms of activation but I think cover is less). Does have car rental excess
*Similar but not identical card offers

It would seem the ability to get others outside immediate family (once you have maxed out your Charge supps), travel insurance would be the best reason to get. As always with TI should make sure it gives you cover you need

Also the potential to use a great Amex offer more times but I can't remember the last time that was relevant.

Obviously is a credit not charge card with slightly longer interest-free period

Would be increasing your credit enquiries, max credit balance and open accounts which could affect ability to get credit elsewhere

I took out my PR card in the days when it came with a $400 travel credit, which sadly won't apply to you. I've used it occasionally, but generally for one of the following two reasons:

• Every year or so AmEx has a "get a supplementary card, receive xx_xx Membership Rewards points" offer. Each time this offer turns up, I have taken out a supplementary card for a different family member and I've received the bonus points.
  • A lot of the AmEx offers are either mirrored on the PR card, or offered exclusively on it. So if there's an Offer I'm interested in, I could take it up twice (once on the Platinum card, once on the PR card). Recently I took advantage of the "Spend $1000, receive 10,000 MR points, up to 3 times" offer on the PR, and received 30,000 bonus points as a result.
So I'd recommend the card for the bonus points offers -- as long as you're not paying an annual fee.

Also, lest it affect your credit rating or the ability to take out other cards, make sure you make the credit limit the minimum allowable ($3000),

Most of my spend goes on the AMEX Platinum Reserve as it has 55 days interest free instead of the 44 days of the AMEX Platinum Charge. I always spend less than my Platinum Reserve credit limit so it isn't an issue.

Regarding lounge access, I was told over the phone that the Platinum Reserve can get access into the centurion lounges...

And this also conflicts with this page Platinum Reserve Credit Card Benefits | AMEX Australia which indicates that you can get 2x Priority Pass entries each year?
You may well be right. I was going off this link

Regarding lounge access, I was told over the phone that the Platinum Reserve can get access into the centurion lounges...

And this also conflicts with this page Platinum Reserve Credit Card Benefits | AMEX Australia which indicates that you can get 2x Priority Pass entries each year?
And I’m pretty sure that the Platinum Reserve comes with 2x AmEx Lounge passes each year (like the Explorer).

I've got the old grandfathered version with the $400 TC. The earn rate is slightly less than the charge card. Other benefits are PP card with two free entries per year. Access to FHR hotels and the usual card offers.

The PP has been useful on a couple of occasions when travelling with more than one work colleague and wanting access for the group. I don't really spend on the card as the earn rate is inferior, but I'm ok with that. It's the $400 TC which is the real value for me.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back