Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Government wonders why?

Regional Victorians have claimed they have been forced to wait more than a week to receive COVID-19 test results.

An email shared by Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell from a Victorian business owner shows some residents are having to wait a lot longer than the one to three days specified by the health officials.
The small business owner in the town of Colac wrote to local state MP Richard Riordan explaining that when the outbreak first hit they and one of their workers both got tested for COVID-19.
“We thought we would do the right thing by everyone, due to our exposure to a vast number of people in the community and we got tested,” the email read.
“We are still waiting on our results 9 days later. . . I have heard of numerous cases like ourselves.”

While delay is not desirable there have been huge numbers of tests since 24 June done in Victoria in excess of what labs can process even with interstate assistance. That has coased delayes to build up.

That is 821,844 tests since 24 June. 54% of all tests done in Victoria to date. 20.6% of all testing done in Australia to date. That is a lot of testing.

So you can
1/ Prioritise where the main risk to health are and where the risk of clusters is greatest. (= good option)
or 2/ Just process in order that the test come in ( = most likely building up even more tests required as cluster escalate further, and most likely more to be hospitalised, fatalities etc)
3/ Limit tests to only the 24 hour number. = very inconvient.

ie My MIL in a aged care facility got tested on Saturday, and got her thankfully negative test back on Sunday.

So do you test equally in country towns with no or virtually no cases or do you test in aged care and abattoirs? I think the right decisions are being made.

While delay is not desirable there have been huge numbers of tests since 24 June done in Victoria in excess of what labs can process even with interstate assistance. That has coased delayes to build up.

That is 821,844 tests since 24 June. 54% of all tests done in Victoria to date. 20.6% of all testing done in Australia to date. That is a lot of testing.

So you can
1/ Prioritise where the main risk to health are and where the risk of clusters is greatest. (= good option)
or 2/ Just process in order that the test come in ( = most likely building up even more tests required as cluster escalate further, and most likely more to be hospitalised, fatalities etc)

ie My MIL in a aged care facility got tested on Saturday, and got her thankfully negative test back on Sunday.

So do you test equally in country towns with no or virtually no cases or do you test in aged care and abattoirs? I think the right decisions are being made.
I believe this report came from people in Colac where the abattoir is located. I don’t think that is a low priority area. In any event, many people won’t bother testing again or isolating again if in 2 weeks time they get symptoms if they have to isolate for 9 days after a test.

So you can

Sorry I don’t agree with my reading of your inference that a test on an aged care resident is more important that the local business (especially if they interact with a vast number of the town where there is an existing outbreak).

Just look at Thai Rock, a key staff member has apparently caused a cluster of over 60 (I believe the largest cluster in NSW in the past 4 weeks).

Not intending to go into a futile discussion with you on my view/opinion. Say what you like in response, my silence doesn’t mean I change my mind or otherwise agree.

I believe this report came from people in Colac where the abattoir is located. I don’t think that is a low priority area. In any event, many people won’t bother testing again or isolating again if in 2 weeks time they get symptoms if they have to isolate for 9 days after a test.

It does not state that they were symptomatic, or close contacts. So if that is the case, then their priority would not be as high as others.

It does say “To eliminate ourselves as potential carriers, we tested straight away on Saturday the 18th July".

Delay is not desirable, and 9 days is certainly not good.

I have a cluster of 21 and growing 900m from my house. I have no symptoms, nor close contacts to the cluster, and so I have not tried to get tested. The cases most likely will have shopped at my local supermarket though. There are a number of other small clusters not that many kms from me.

The Australian Lamb Company is 47 cases at present. There are at least 6 age care facilities within a km of the cluster near me. One directly over the road from it. I hope all the residents there are high priority if they need testing.

Balancing the demand for tests results is a huge task at present.

• Hugs
Reactions: tgh
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Another NSW Health warning.....it’s getting depressing. One is a staff member, the other seems to be a diner. I might be reading it wrong, but both seem to be a hybrid of Phase 2 (test and isolate for 14 days regardless of symptoms and result) and Phase 1 (watch for symptoms) style warning even with one case each.

Two new cases of COVID-19 have been linked to a restaurant in Potts Point in inner Sydney, and two pubs in Mount Pritchard in South West Sydney.

NSW Health is tonight contacting everyone who attended The Apollo restaurant at Potts Point from Thursday 23 to Saturday 25 July and asking them to quarantine for 14 days after their visit. Any diners who develop symptoms should be tested.

NSW Health is also asking all people who live in or have visited the Potts Point area in the past two weeks to get tested if they have any symptoms of COVID-19.
This new advice comes after confirmation a staff member at the restaurant has now tested positive, and the venue has been closed for cleaning.

NSW Health is also contacting anyone who attended two venues in South West Sydney. A patron who attended these venues while infectious has now tested positive. Investigations into the source of the infection and contact tracing are under way.

NSW Health is contacting all staff and patrons who attended Mounties, 101 Meadows Road, Mt Pritchard on Thursday 23 July between 12 midnight and 3am, as well as Friday 24 July between BOTH 11am to 3pm AND 8pm to midnight, as well as Saturday 25 July between 12 midnight to 3am and directing them to isolate for 14 days and test if any symptoms.

The good news aspect is it seems NSW Health is only 4 days behind.

Sorry I don’t agree with my reading of your inference that a test on an aged care resident is more important that the local business (especially if they interact with a vast number of the town where there is an existing outbreak).

Just look at Thai Rock, a key staff member has apparently caused a cluster of over 60 (I believe the largest cluster in NSW in the past 4 weeks).

Not intending to go into a futile discussion with you on my view/opinion. Say what you like in response, my silence doesn’t mean I change my mind or otherwise agree.

I did not state it like as aged care resident is more important that the local business

What I first stated was: Prioritise where the main risk to health are and where the risk of clusters is greatest
  • So if they were believed to be likely to help spread a cluster then that would make them go up the ranking. Maybe none of the 47 positive tests nominated them as a close contact, or their business as being one that they used within their incubation period?

I am not doing the ranking, but probably they ranked lower than others. So if they rank higher then they get their results earlier.

All I am saying is that there is probably a reason why their results have been slower than others. It may be random luck, but more likely is because of a ranking process.

As to elderly including people resident is aged care facilities who often have comorbidities - The risk of loss of life is much higher in that cohort there and so my guess is that they will be ranked higher in terms of when tests are processed.

Another inner city restaurant hit in Sydney... Pretty soon Potts Point will be declared a hot spot.

——

Warnings for residents in Sydney’s east as another restaurant worker tests positive

Health authorities say two new coronavirus cases are linked to restaurants and bars in Sydney's eastern suburbs and south-west.

Key points:
  • NSW Health says one new case visited both Pritchard's Hotel and Mounties
  • The other is a worker at The Apollo restaurant in Potts Point
The Apollo restaurant in Potts Point has closed for cleaning after an employee tested positive for COVID-19.

It's the second restaurant in the suburb to be linked with the virus after two other cases were confirmed at the Thai Rock restaurant in Potts Point.

NSW Health warned anyone who lived in Potts Point or had recently visited the area, to get tested if they developed coronavirus symptoms.

This is going to occur just a few minutes walk from a growing inner city hotspot...

——

Sydney Black Lives Matter protest loses appeal ahead of Tuesday's march, vow to proceed anyway

A protest leader told the ABC despite the latest court result, the event would still go ahead.

Last edited:
Another inner city restaurant hit in Sydney... Pretty soon Potts Point will be declared a hot spot.

NSW Health warned anyone who lived in Potts Point or had recently visited the area, to get tested if they developed coronavirus symptoms.

See my post above.

Having had time to think about it, it seems that with two staff members of two different restaurants in the same area with no apparent links elsewhere, the risk of what seems to be a small suburb (I guess) is super high. Hence the warning to resident and visitors to the suburb to watch for symptoms....on top of quarantining for 14 days if a customer of the named restaurant.

I still doubt we get to a lockdown suburb ie / eg quarantine for 14 days , and one would wonder if it would work with respect to visitors

PS another two venues near Mt Pritchard added - also without a link.

How confusing.....in terms of instructions on the newest venues/suburb added tonight - the NSW Health media release (linked in an earlier post) and NSW Health twitter seem to align

But this page COVID-19 latest news and cases updates which would also be used as a reference by people say (differently)

Phase 2: The Apollo, Potts Point; Mounties, Mt Pritchard (test and isolate for 14 days, regardless of symptoms and result)
Phase 1: Pritchard’s Hotel, Mt Pritchard (Watch for symptoms)

No mention of visitors and residents of Potts Point to watch for symptoms.

Note: the media release is the first link at the bottom of the page.

Seemingly the media release (and twitter) might be the official requirement, but is there a need for a different permutation from the standard Phases used to date?

The virus just loves people getting together in close proximity.

At present:
  • In NSW it is pubs and restaurants
  • In Vic workplaces, aged care after initially having been more family to family spread.

What will today bring?

Sydney should showers this morning today with winds in the afternoon. Perhaps might cause a slight decrease in numbers attending.

Read some Vic aged care residents with Covid are being moved at least from one facility. After days of saying need individual care....blah blah. This should have happened weeks earlier. Clearly no one learnt from Newmarch and Vic was rely on its previous excellent record on Covid and aged care. Covid cares not of past performance.

Hopefully NSW will have learnt lessons as Covid will soon be giving its next test.

What will today bring?

Sydney should showers this morning today with winds in the afternoon. Perhaps might cause a slight decrease in numbers attending.

Read some Vic aged care residents with Covid are being moved at least from one facility. After days of saying need individual care....blah blah. This should have happened weeks earlier. Clearly no one learnt from Newmarch and Vic was rely on its previous excellent record on Covid and aged care. Covid cares not of past performance.

Hopefully NSW will have learnt lessons as Covid will soon be giving its next test.
Interesting article this morning on why NSW may have a better chance of containment due to faster receipt of results and a good tracing service.

The infant currently ill in ICU from Covid caught the virus from the mother of another infant. How can such contamination occur when infants in ICU are highly regulated in their own environment?

Are parents tested before entering neo-natal care?

What will today bring?

By the time you have Covid positive residents you have failed.Mortality rate is very high and most moved are going to palliative care not ordinary care or ICU.
The time to protect nursing home residents is before there is a case.Adequate PPE for workers and visitors.
Didn't happen in Victoria until too late.Didn't happen in NSW the first time around.Let's hope they realise this time.

Interesting article this morning on why NSW may have a better chance of containment due to faster receipt of results and a good tracing service.

The infant currently ill in ICU from Covid caught the virus from the mother of another infant. How can such contamination occur when infants in ICU are highly regulated in their own environment?

Are parents tested before entering neo-natal care?
NSW is doing ok. That’s probably all we will be able to say because Covid will give another test to shatter our previous assumptions. At the moment to focus is on restaurants etc but it may arise elsewhere where the guard might be dropped.

My undestanding is that it’s impossible to test parents before they go into hospital even, let alone ICU. Imagine denying admission or primary parent entry due waiting for a test result. The best they can do is screening (ie temperature check) and masks. Hospital wards tend to be cramped spaces.

Edit: If you are imagining a ward full of incubators, not all baby ICUs are like that. And babies get taken out of incubators for development (parent/child bonding for example).

Last edited:
NSW is doing ok. That’s probably all we will be able to say because Covid will give another test to shatter our previous assumptions. At the moment to focus is on restaurants etc but it may arise elsewhere where the guard might be dropped.

My undestanding is that it’s impossible to test parents before they go into hospital even, let alone ICU. Imagine denying admission or primary parent entry due waiting for a test result. The best they can do is screening (ie temperature check) and masks. Hospital wards tend to be cramped spaces.

Edit: If you are imagining a ward full of incubators, not all baby ICUs are like that. And babies get taken out of incubators for development (parent/child bonding for example).
Thanks. Interesting info re ICU. I'm still surprised another parent could give it to someone else's child in that environment.

Thanks. Interesting info re ICU. I'm still surprised another parent could give it to someone else's child in that environment.
Air circulation could be the culprit, or momentary lapse by a med, so many ways unfortunately.

For example - all CV has to do is land on one of the baby's eyes in a sufficient amount to survive & being horizontal increases the probability of that happening. Not practical to put face shields on them unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back