Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
An update on the NICU Baby

A spokeswoman from the hospital confirmed the baby's stable condition with AAP on Tuesday.

Health Minister Jenny Mikakos told reporters on Tuesday all but one result in the unit had come back negative.

"Yesterday we reported a baby there, two parents and a health care worker had tested positive," Ms Mikakos said.

"The latest advice that I have is that all the results have been received bar one result that is still pending of the babies at the NICU and they have all come through as negative."

All babies, staff and parents who have visited the ward since July 12 were to be tested.

The RCH told AAP a connection between the four cases has not yet been established.

The hospital alerted all of the neonatal ward and inpatient families as soon as the positive cases were confirmed.

The RCH has not allowed visitors on site since March, before hospital visitor directives were issued.

Any parent, guardian or staff member entering the hospital must undergo health screening and temperature checks before coming in.

And a lovely quote from 'Dan' today (it seems we are on first name terms here) that the Victorian government is happy "to assist" the commonwealth government in the VACR. That's nice.

I only delved into the aged care situation in Victoria this evening. My God. When this is all over I hope some investigations, and maybe criminal prosecutions of those 'responsible' (care homes management, government, authorities) will be done and sought.

I asked when there was the outbreak in NW Tas nursing homes, why residents infected weren't treated in hospital, given their obvious vulnerabilities. Explained by several medicos that "all things considered" it was not always appropriate. I was skeptical then (in my layman's ignorance) and I hope it's not too late in Victoria. For many, unfortunately, it is.
Private/ not for profit Aged care funding is federally funded throughout Australia I think. As Newmarch evolved and reported it became apparent that dealing with a pandemic and establishing a coordinated disaster response incorporating Federal, State and Private operators in the aged care sector was at best underdeveloped, reactionary and hopeful.

And just like that, Covid returns to QLD - where people are behaving like it never ever existed... And a school, where transmission is likely to be asymptomatic as well. Hope they caught it early.

Let’s see how we go now managing it and hopefully will stop our leaders pointing fingers and sneering for a bit and behaving like adults and as a team to manage this calmly.

——-

Breaking: Confirmed coronavirus case at Brisbane private school

A staff member at a Queensland private school has tested positive to coronavirus.

Queensland Health confirmed an employee at Park Ridge’s Parklands Christian College in Logan returned a positive test Tuesday afternoon.

The school will be closed immediately to allow cleaning and contact tracing.

More to come.

Last edited:
And just like that, Covid returns to QLD - where people are behaving like it never ever existed... And a school, where transmission is likely to be asymptomatic as well. Hope they caught it early.

Let’s see how we go now managing it and hopefully will stop our leaders pointing fingers and sneering for a bit and behaving like adults and as a team to manage this calmly.

——-

Breaking: Confirmed coronavirus case at Brisbane private school

A staff member at a Queensland private school has tested positive to coronavirus.

Queensland Health confirmed an employee at Park Ridge’s Parklands Christian College in Logan returned a positive test Tuesday afternoon.

The school will be closed immediately to allow cleaning and contact tracing.

More to come.

The teacher returned last week from interstate. So not a question of too much mixing in Qld. The question begs - which state?

An exclusive news.com.au story apparently.....super sad if true

And now there is a bun fight. From my mothers days in a nursing home, there was only one registered nurse to cover the whole facility yet there are complaints because only graduate nurses were sent in by Aspen. Seems to me that that action would raise the skills level by 100%+ so not sure why that is a complaint. Current staff were apparently sent home to isolate. Another good start.

The teacher returned last week from interstate. So not a question of too much mixing in Qld. The question begs - which state?

I’m sure the QLD gov is just itching to release that detail...and probably prayed it was NSW so they can use it to shut the border after our Premiers morning tea cake!

Regardless of what mixing infected the teacher, unfortunately suspect based on past school outbreaks there will definitely be more cases from this and probably not all immediately either as many children carry and spread quickly and asymptomatically. Could ripple on for weeks...

I hope this serves as a massive wake up call to us that it is NOT business as normal in QLD despite no community transmission for a while until now - because if it’s in the community at current social distancing practices up here it will spread like a wildfire!

I’m sure the QLD gov is just itching to release that detail...and probably prayed it was NSW so they can use it to shut the border after our Premiers morning tea cake!

Regardless of what mixing infected the teacher, unfortunately suspect based on past school outbreaks there will definitely be more cases from this and probably not all immediately either as many children carry and spread quickly and asymptomatically. Could ripple on for weeks...

I hope this serves as a massive wake up call to us that it is NOT business as normal in QLD despite no community transmission for a while until now - because if it’s in the community at current social distancing practices up here it will spread like a wildfire!
Only people from certain areas in NSW are barred or just need to isolate? And Victorians are barred period?

As of today our state government is banning even SA residents from returning from Victoria.

The discussion regarding Aged care, its Funding and other related issues is obfuscation and would in normal circumstances be off topic here.

Note the Victorian Government declared a State of Emergency in March which gives state authorities responsibility for all health and in particular COVID-19 dealings. the following quote explains it:

"A State of Emergency declaration gives the Victorian Chief Health Officer broad powers to act to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health by detaining people, restricting movement, preventing entry to premises, or providing any other directions considered reasonable to protect public health, slow the spread of infection, reduce the pressure on the heath system and minimise the risks of COVID-19."

What a nice way to start the day… I'm with 'stacia.. slam the border shut mate and throw away the key…..

What a nice way to start the day… I'm with 'stacia.. slam the border shut mate and throw away the key…..
Or maybe manage it better for those returning from risk states?

As of today our state government is banning even SA residents from returning from Victoria.

Which personally I think is disgusting thing to do to SA’s residents, there should be at least be the option of paid quarantine.

Only people from certain areas in NSW are barred or just need to isolate? And Victorians are barred period?

If this teacher was infected in NSW I suspect it will be used as the trigger to shut the border entirely to NSW. Currently QLD is only targeting the hotspots.

Which personally I think is disgusting thing to do to SA’s residents, there should be at least be the option of paid quarantine.

If this teacher was infected in NSW I suspect it will be used as the trigger to shut the border entirely to NSW. Currently QLD is only targeting the hotspots.
Totally agree. Yet we are still able to quarantine overseas travellers that arrive into SA. I never thought I would live in a state and in Australia that refuses to let people return to their homes (once it has been established that they are true homes and not fake homes - council rates, drivers licences etc etc)

Well if they returned from Vic or a NSW hot spot they shouldn't have even been at work, as were supposed to self quarantine for 14 days. If the individual didn't quarantine as required or lied about where they had been, then this is not grounds for closing the border. 1 case or cluster should be able to be easily managed. They have said worker (not teacher or teachers aid) so with lucky this means cleaning or grounds staff which also hopefully means they haven't had contact with students.

As the case is a Queenslander who would be allowed to return to Queensland even if the border to NSW was closed, closing the border due to this case would be an over reaction. Queenslanders were frequently crossing the border and returning during the original closure.

Agree , but at least they were given a weeks notice of the new rules, so had time to go home before then. Really should be given the same option as international arrivals, i.e. pay to quarantine in a govt supervised hotel. I expect that someone will challenge the legality of this.

Well if they returned from Vic or a NSW hot spot they shouldn't have even been at work, as were supposed to self quarantine for 14 days. If the individual didn't quarantine as required or lied about where they had been, then this is not grounds for closing the border. 1 case or cluster should be able to be easily managed. They have said worker (not teacher or teachers aid) so with lucky this means cleaning or grounds staff which also hopefully means they haven't had contact with students.

As the case is a Queenslander who would be allowed to return to Queensland even if the border to NSW was closed, closing the border due to this case would be an over reaction. Queenslanders were frequently crossing the border and returning during the original closure.

Agree , but at least they were given a weeks notice of the new rules, so had time to go home before then.
More like four days. And it isnt as simple as just getting across the border. Many examples of the complexity of this have been on TV. Eg children can only have a special type of surgery in Victoria as it isnt offered here. If they are currently in Vic and the child is in hospital, they cant come home when he is released. So they have to stay in Victoria that exposed them and the child. Relatives dying in Victoria - cant simply just say See Ya. Or people cant come to SA to see dying relatives. Attend funerals. What if you lived in SA and had a parent in one of the Aged care homes? Even selling a house and moving out.

Community transmission and why it is complicated and difficult to control the current outbreaks in aged care (interview with) : Glenn Keys, Executive Chair of Aspen Medical. Aspen has been brought in to St Basils (and around 100 other facilities), Worth a 9 min listen to see why it is not simple :

The discussion regarding Aged care, its Funding and other related issues is obfuscation and would in normal circumstances be off topic here.

Note the Victorian Government declared a State of Emergency in March which gives state authorities responsibility for all health and in particular COVID-19 dealings. the following quote explains it:

"A State of Emergency declaration gives the Victorian Chief Health Officer broad powers to act to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health by detaining people, restricting movement, preventing entry to premises, or providing any other directions considered reasonable to protect public health, slow the spread of infection, reduce the pressure on the heath system and minimise the risks of COVID-19."

Last edited:
Inner Sydney nail salon worker in Westfield shopping centre tests positive

Attendees at a nail salon in Sydney's inner south have been contacted after it was confirmed an employee at the store tested positive to COVID-19.

The woman worked at Professionail, within Westfield Hurstville, on July 22 and 23, Dr Vicky Sheppeard, deputy director of South Eastern Sydney Local Health District's public health unit said.

And it isnt as simple as just getting across the border.

I don't agree with SA's decision, and as I stated there needs to be an option to pay for hotel quarantine same as international arrivals. WRT funerals however, where there is a lockdown in place I feel the funeral should be delayed by the quarantine period, rather than allowing a person to break quarantine early.

She was a returned traveller from NSW. I have heard that she did NOT travel to any declared hotspot, but that's word of mouth rather than seeing it in writing. If so, then she had no obligation to quarantine.

EDIT: Apparently she had been in Vic prior to being in NSW. So she definitely SHOULD have been quarantining

Last edited:
Looking like it’s under 300 in Victoria today but a few more deaths which unfortunately is expected. The restrictions seem to be working

In this case I am not sure that the actual a infection path has been as yet determined, though it is suspected that a visiting parent may have bought it in. People can be very infectious at the pre-symptomatic phase.

In addition with the hospitals that I know about they tend to operate with covid possible, covid probable and covid positive protocols. The covid possible protocols have been tightened in Vic due to the current high level of community spread.

Covid positive protocols can interfere with the ability to give care and so are not used for every patient. As HappyFlyerFamily as already indicated babies need to have close contact for various reasons.

With high levels of community spread some transmission can still happen even with the strictest of protocols. However the strictest protocols are not used for all care as I have noted. Even in the best run hospital there will be some transmission inside of the hospital from time to time. Moreso with high levels of community transmission, and moreso again in hospitals get overloaded as we have seen in Italy, Spain , NY etc but which has not yet been the case in Australia.

Many of you will already know about this, but some may not. The level of people (pre-CV) who washed their hands AFTER going to the toilet has been falling almost constantly since post WW2.

Since the late 90s it has worsened. Prior to then females showed their superiority & washed their hands around 8-10% more (as % of all females) than men did. A survey used to be done in a number of Australian capital cities (at least Sydney & Melb but my memory is a little hazy about others) in around 20 locations per city, all CBD high rise office towers.

Cameras were placed to cover the basins & entry/exit door for a period (2 weeks I think it was) on every floor for the mens & ladies' toilets. When I first came across this survey it was around low 70s of women & mid 60s percent of men washed their hands. Of those less than 40% did it 'correctly' - using soap, rubbing hands for 20+ seconds, covering all parts etc. A large proportion just put their hands under the running water for a second or two.

The last survey I saw (probably a decade or so ago) had significantly FEWER women now washing (55% or so) vs 59% (or there abouts) for men.

A similar survey was run in a number of hospitals - the results WERE QUITE SIMILAR, to my (non-medical professional) dismay. So the politicians in Australia or perhaps the health bureaucrats continuously sweep it under the carpet - liability issues perhaps? Unlike Europe, for example, where hospitals are monitored & required to report every hospital caught infection to their Federal authroities - Australia seemingly prefers not to know. Adopting the 'Yes, Minister' approach being the order of the day.

So the following is no surprise:

Surviving hospital: infections - hospitals and medical ... - Choice
www.choice.com.au › health-and-body › medical-treatments › articles

... is to come out sicker than when you went in. It's estimated that 200,000 hospital-acquired infections are caught by patients in Australian hospitals each year

"Our antipodean Semmelweis, Professor Lindsay Grayson, leads the Commonwealth government-funded Hand Hygiene Australia. As a result of this program, which promotes alcohol-based hand rub instead of soap and water, hand hygiene compliance in Australian hospitals has increased from less than 50% to 75.7% in just three years."

Does anyone else find it alarming that in the 2010s - less than half of all hospital staff washed their hands as required? Yes, I suppose I am being 'glass half empty' here.

"But this remarkable achievement in hand hygiene was spoilt by one disturbing statistic – doctors only increased their compliance rate to 62.2% in 2012, showing us to be the poorest performing of all the health professions."

...so perhaps what is happening in the predominantly private sector nursing homes often using low paid staff with English as their second language is MUCH better than should have been expected compared with the behaviour of doctors in hospitals have been doing.

BTW - did you know a death in hospital is self-investigated by the hospital not the coroner, at least that's the case in NSW. At a 'meeting' where there were 3 legal reps for the hospital attending (without being introduced as such) over me catching the major teaching hospital out over a cover-up of multiple acts of negligence (3 very potentially fatal), the chief bureaucrat for the hospital tried the tactic of saying; "If you knew how many fatal mistakes made by doctors here are discovered by the nurses each day & fixed before killing the patient, you'd be surprised."

To which I replied, "No, I wouldn't be since I've caught 9 so far myself."

Moral of the story - It is up to each person to act responsibly & to speak out politely if you see something wrong

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back