Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They flew MEL-SYD then SYD-BNE (both flight were on Virgin), but only declared they had been in Sydney - selfish brats.

Easy prosecution as Virgin can provide the flight details and unless there was 14 days of isolation between the two flights, then a clear breach.

I would expect multiple charges - one for lying on border declaration and a second for breaching the health act wrt quarantine. Plus any community case traced back to them resulting in death could seek manslaughter charge as they wilfully broke the rules.

Name them and publically shame with their photos all over the media like they did with the Bunnings Karen - maybe that will stop the selfish and reckless behaviour.

Last edited:
NSW 19 cases today

3 funeral gatherings cluster
10 Thai Rock Wetherill Park
2 Thai Rock Potts Point
1 The Apollo
1 Crossroads Hotel
2 overseas arrivals quarantine
So these are known clusters so a good sign?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

As serfty has posted in a pandemic the State of emergency declaration mean the State government that makes the declaration is in charge of policing it.
As I have already sain when the North West Tasmania outbreak occurred the State shut down nursing homes.There was only 1 positive case that was contracted in a nursing home.
Already this morning after the 2 idiots tested positive in QLD the Government has shut down nursing homes in all of Southern Brisbane.

Dan Andrews keeps on saying the Commonwealth is in charge of Nursing homes.However that does not apply to the health of residents.That has always been a State issue.He seems to be trying to deflect the blame.If a resident gets sick in normal times they are admitted usually to a State Public hospital.The Commonwealth is not involved in those decisions even though they fund that treatment.

I know some people pronounce a D at the end of Brisbane but clearly this reporter thinks it exists.
“Queensland Health authorities are “furious” and on the hunt for passengers who may have been in contact with two teenagers who travelled on board a Virgin Australia flight from Melbourne to Brisband via Sydney.”

But the only new area is Potts Point/Kings Cross - they could have just added that LGA to the hot spot list - the other case growth has been in the existing hotspots (i.e. neighbouring areas of Liverpool, Campbletown and Fairfield). And today's numbers fairly stable.

So there are zero cases in my LGA or the 3 neighbouring LGAs but we get punished, yet regional LGAs with actual cases like Batemans Bay are NOT declared hotspots - so fricken illogical.

AP has been looking for an excuse. Now we will see how good her team are at managing outbreaks, since its not a tourist that has caused the Qld problem but selfish Queensland Residents.
I can "hear" your distress and really sorry that this is happening but please dont write off Queenslanders based on the actions of a few.

Yes generally it’s a good sign.

My main concern is the clusters have not all been linked, presumably back to a Melbourne via known cases. I think the Potts Point clusters have just sprouted seemingly from thin air.

Other concerns is where the focus is not on eg aged care, other types of venues, any further preventative proactive restrictions that can be taken.

But the only new area is Potts Point/Kings Cross

Living the area, not a bad decision.
Thai Rock is probably more of a locals restaurant, but Apollo is very much a destination restaurant, and would seat a fair number of people. I'd expect people from multiple areas of Sydney are in 14-day self-quarantine

think the Potts Point clusters have just sprouted seemingly from thin air.

While they haven't proven a link, think it's strongly suspected it jumped from Thai Rock Wetherill Park to Thai Rock Potts Point (or vice versa if someone was asymptomatic on earlier dates)

A single couple is then the link to Apollo and CYCA.

Notably on the Apollo the dates where people need to self-quarantine has changed - was originally 23-25 July, and as of this morning is 22-26 July.

I've seen a post from someone who dined on the 22nd who has only been told they are a casual contact and don't need to quarantine.

Last edited:
Living the area, not a bad decision.
Thai Rock is probably more of a locals restaurant, but Apollo is very much a destination restaurant, and would seat a fair number of people. I'd expect people from multiple areas of Sydney are in 14-day self-quarantine

While they haven't proven a link, think it's strongly suspected it jumped from Thai Rock Wetherill Park to Thai Rock Potts Point (or vice versa if someone was asymptomatic on earlier dates)

Notably on the Apollo the dates where people need to self-quarantine has changed - was originally 23-25 July, and as of this morning is 22-26 July.

I've seen a post from someone who dined on the 22nd who has only been told they are a casual contact and don't need to quarantine.
Apparently Thai Rock in Potts Point occurred before The Apollo based on the details I’ve been able to decipher.

Unfortunately, they both involve at least 1 staff member each, seemingly getting it from a customer.

My main concern is the clusters have not all been linked, presumably back to a Melbourne via known cases. I think the Potts Point clusters have just sprouted seemingly from thin air.

I suspect they will find a link between the the two Thai Rock clusters i.e. staff members having contact with staff members form the other outlet.

Gladys has now announced more limitations on Gyms.

I cant transfer my hotel booking to an earlier date to fly this Fri, so have made a request if I can have a Qantas hotel credit for the booking rather than just a change of date (what the hotel is offering) since have no idea when its safe to book again. Now do i wait to see if QF cancel the flights (in which case i get a credit) or do i try to guess a future date - the flight booking is entitled to one free date change.

They flew MEL-SYD then SYD-BNE (both flight were on Virgin), but only declared they had been in Sydney - selfish brats.

Easy prosecution as Virgin can provide the flight details and unless there was 14 days of isolation between the two flights, then a clear breach.

I would expect multiple charges - one for lying on border declaration and a second for breaching the health act wrt quarantine. Plus any community case traced back to them resulting in death could seek manslaughter charge as they wilfully broke the rules.

Name them and publically shame with their photos all over the media like they did with the Bunnings Karen - maybe that will stop the selfish and reckless behaviour.
They certainly need to be prosecuted with the full force of whatever penalties they deserve, however I have a tiny bit of sympathy for them vs Bunnings Karen. 19 is an age when a lot of young people do selfish stupid things that they would never do later in life.

That’s the problem with the advice - they initially used a hybrid of Phase 1 and 2 (my query that night when it was released was was it even necessary)

I think they change to Phase 2 the next morning and the dates of coverage when the additional case occurred.

.....causing people like that post to be clearly confused. It sound like they got the advice of the first night (likely as they were probably contacted off a COVID safe list), but now the advice has changed (ie later the next morning) and no one has called them back to tell them the new advice.....sigh.

edit: see link 22/7 The Apollo, need to Test and isolate for 14 days regardless of symptom or result.

edit: maybe if you got delivery you might be a casual contact, but I would regard even pick up takeaway to be included in the phase 2 requirement.

Apparently Thai Rock in Potts Point occurred before The Apollo based on the details I’ve been able to decipher.

Yep. Based on the health alerts
Thai Rock WP - 9-14 July
Thai Rock PP - 15-25 July (but only quarantine if 2+ hours)
Apollo - 22-26 July was originally 23-25 July)

Note
A Senator and staffer fell into the under 2hr category, but have been tested.

They certainly need to be prosecuted with the full force of whatever penalties they deserve, however I have a tiny bit of sympathy for them vs Bunnings Karen. 19 is an age when a lot of young people do selfish stupid things that they would never do later in life.
Sorry I don’t have sympathy, because of youthful stupidity...I think one is a teacher at a school.

edit works at a school

One of the women works at Parklands Christian College — a private school in Logan that was closed earlier today. Mr Miles said families and staff were “notified of the potential exposure last night”.

The Australian reporting two 19 year olds who returned from Melbourne via NSW on 21st July. Were active in the community for eight days

8 days, so many contacts.... most probably younger people too who will be asymptomatic, so here goes the start community spread in QLD.

NSW 19 cases today

3 funeral gatherings cluster
10 Thai Rock Wetherill Park
2 Thai Rock Potts Point
1 The Apollo
1 Crossroads Hotel
2 overseas arrivals quarantine

NSW not going in the right direction either, with more and more locations popping up seemingly every few hours, and that is just the detected ones.

I can "hear" your distress and really sorry that this is happening but please dont write off Queenslanders based on the actions of a few.

Agreed, but so said the Victorians, and so said Sydneysiders as they were kicked mercilessly by certain members of the QLD population for 'their problems'... so a little bit of our own medicine will hopefully mean some more careful and humble words are chosen in future by certain people I hope!

But honestly is anyone truly surprised that this has happened?

This is happening EVERYWHERE in EVERY state, these guys just happened to the ones that got caught.

That is why unfortunately its probably inevitable community transmission will continue to move up the eastern seaboard

No sympathy for the 19 yo's being youthfully stupid. But policy and law makers must (and I think do) realise this will happen, no matter how much people get outraged by it. Even with $100K fine and 12 months in prison. People still drink drive after many years. People peddle drugs. People go to Bali (or used to) and exercise all sorts of bad judgement. People have sex with security guards when they are in quarantine (allegedly). Executives of companies make bad decisions that could cost hundreds of lives. It's human nature.

It’s a very good sign and a true indicator that NSW has the issue under control and is doing exactly what we set out to do months ago.

With elections approaching, we’ll sadly have premiers chopping and changing for quite a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back