Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sympathy for the 19 yo's being youthfully stupid. But policy and law makers must (and I think do) realise this will happen, no matter how much people get outraged by it. Even with $100K fine and 12 months in prison. People still drink drive after many years. People peddle drugs. People go to Bali (or used to) and exercise all sorts of bad judgement. People have sex with security guards when they are in quarantine (allegedly). Executives of companies make bad decisions that could cost hundreds of lives. It's human nature.

And for every one that is caught there are probably 10 more who weren't unfortunately.

No sympathy for the 19 yo's being youthfully stupid. But policy and law makers must (and I think do) realise this will happen, no matter how much people get outraged by it. Even with $100K fine and 12 months in prison. People still drink drive after many years. People peddle drugs. People go to Bali (or used to) and exercise all sorts of bad judgement. People have sex with security guards when they are in quarantine (allegedly). Executives of companies make bad decisions that could cost hundreds of lives. It's human nature.
Yes and that’s why they need to be prosecuted. I did say a tiny bit of sympathy vs Bunnings Karen. To me she was mentally disturbed and just plain awful, whereas I don’t quite put these two in the same bucket. Even though arguably they have done more quantifiable harm than she did.

Yes and that’s why they need to be prosecuted. I did say a tiny bit of sympathy vs Bunnings Karen. To me she was mentally disturbed and just plain awful, whereas I don’t quite put these two in the same bucket. Even though arguably they have done more quantifiable harm than she did.
putting Aside the harm, it’s the facts that they chose to go to Vic (Qld has been saying don’t go to Vic for sometime) and lied on the re-entry declaration to avoid a $2500 payment and quarantine.

thats not stupidity.

and I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed their return flight (paying probably $hundreds) to avoid quarantine at their expense.

putting Aside the harm, it’s the facts that they chose to go to Vic (Qld has been saying don’t go to Vic for sometime) and lied on the re-entry declaration to avoid a $2500 payment and quarantine.

thats not stupidity.

and I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed their return flight (paying probably $hundreds) to avoid quarantine at their expense.
People don’t seem to understand the difference between absolute and comparative :) Do I have sympathy for them - no - that’s an absolute. Do I have a tiny bit compared to Bunnings Karen - yes. I just view her as a thousand times worse based on age and experience.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry to burst your bubble...lying on a Qld border declaration can only attract about a $4000 fine or court imposed fine of about $13,000

Clearly Qld did not learn from the SA border experience where I think they changed their law to include jail time.

Edit: Found an ABC article on 16 July suggesting they increased to include jail

Hard to keep track of all the changes :). I remember when that came out, as I thought it would be needed....

Another example of QLD leadership behaving like children (if this is true)... this needs to stop.

---------

NSW blindsided over border closure

Gladys Berejiklian says she was not told Greater Sydney would be declared a hotspot by the Queensland government.

"It would have been nice if [Annastacia Palaszczuk] told me," she said.

'In the end it hurts the smaller states when they don't interact with New South Wales."

As serfty has posted in a pandemic the State of emergency declaration mean the State government that makes the declaration is in charge of policing it.
As I have already sain when the North West Tasmania outbreak occurred the State shut down nursing homes.There was only 1 positive case that was contracted in a nursing home.
Already this morning after the 2 idiots tested positive in QLD the Government has shut down nursing homes in all of Southern Brisbane.

Dan Andrews keeps on saying the Commonwealth is in charge of Nursing homes.However that does not apply to the health of residents.That has always been a State issue.He seems to be trying to deflect the blame.If a resident gets sick in normal times they are admitted usually to a State Public hospital.The Commonwealth is not involved in those decisions even though they fund that treatment.

I have a hard time reconciling some of your statements.

Are you saying the government should immediately take responsibility for the failure of very highly paid executives in private companies and charities for failing to do their job and carry out their responsibilities under the various acts and health orders

Executives who defraud and rob citizens are not at fault because the ACCC and fraud detection squads did not find them before they robbed people and the reason you lost your money is the governments fault?

Perhaps it is totally the governments fault for drink drivers killing people because they didn't have enough policing on the streets to find every drink driver and drink drivers should be left alone to do whatever they want because its not their fault?

Perhaps we don't need OH&S legislation because its all the governments fault anyway if staff are not trained properly or supervised properly and put at risk.

Last edited:
Love how we are finding this out through a GP who posted on Facebook! :p

-------
Breaking: Shopping centre Thai restaurant identified in frantic Queensland contact tracing effort

A Thai restaurant in a busy major shopping centre south of Brisbane has closed its doors on Wednesday after being identified as a close contact site one of Queensland’s two new COVID-19 cases visited while unwell in the community.

One of the women visited the Peak Thai restaurant at Orion Springfield Central on Sunday evening, a GP in the suburb advised its patients on Facebook.

It is understood the shopping centre remains open for the time being, pending further investigation underway as part of the extensive efforts to track the movements of the 19-year-old women in the eight days since they flew into the state from Sydney.

They certainly need to be prosecuted with the full force of whatever penalties they deserve, however I have a tiny bit of sympathy for them vs Bunnings Karen. 19 is an age when a lot of young people do selfish stupid things that they would never do later in life.
Agree on principle but they knowingly lied about their travel in the midst of a pandemic that has closed the world down so its not like its not at the forefront of people's mind. So they knew what they were trying to do was very wrong.

People don’t seem to understand the difference between absolute and comparative :) Do I have sympathy for them - no - that’s an absolute. Do I have a tiny bit compared to Bunnings Karen - yes. I just view her as a thousand times worse based on age and experience.
I understood your original point about relatively - I was adding a different slant in terms of likely intent........it’s ok to have a different view 👍

I can "hear" your distress and really sorry that this is happening but please dont write off Queenslanders based on the actions of a few

I didn't write off all Queenslanders , I specifically complained about the 2 selfish 19 year olds (and their age is not an excuse, they are legally adults not kids) who knowingly did the wrong thing and about the Qld Premiere who displayed lack of logic in declaring all of Sydney a hot spot even though my LGA (and majority of Sydney LGAs) have zero cases, whilst not declaring any of the regional NSW LGAs a hot spot, when there are regional LGAs like Bateman's Bay with active Covid-19 cases.

Covid cases are recorded against the suburb in which the positive person resides, not all the places they visited (although clusters do tie back to source venue). So yes there has been a wide distribution of venues in NSW which have closed for deep cleaning after an infected person visited, but there hasn't been community transmission at all of those venues.

So in regional Vic today, 16 new cases.

9 Greater Geelong
1 Colac Otway
1 Moorabool
2 Golden Plains
1 Horsham
1 Mount Alexander
1 Ararat

Love how we are finding this out through a GP who posted on Facebook! :p

-------
Breaking: Shopping centre Thai restaurant identified in frantic Queensland contact tracing effort

A Thai restaurant in a busy major shopping centre south of Brisbane has closed its doors on Wednesday after being identified as a close contact site one of Queensland’s two new COVID-19 cases visited while unwell in the community.

One of the women visited the Peak Thai restaurant at Orion Springfield Central on Sunday evening, a GP in the suburb advised its patients on Facebook.

It is understood the shopping centre remains open for the time being, pending further investigation underway as part of the extensive efforts to track the movements of the 19-year-old women in the eight days since they flew into the state from Sydney.

Just poor journalism, but the way of the future especially in a pandemic with the need for breaking news and hot takes......couldn’t even get the travel right - at least could have said from Melbourne via Sydney Lol

about the Qld Premiere who displayed lack of logic in declaring all of Sydney a hot spot even though my LGA (and majority of Sydney LGAs) have zero cases,

C'est la vie.

What about Mildura? They've not had any active cases since sometime before May. But they can't go into the very close by NSW or SA towns. The trouble is they're evil Victorians.

C'est la vie.

What about Mildura? They've not had any active cases since sometime before May. But they can't go into the very close by NSW or SA towns. The trouble is they're evil Victorians.

Or the reverse. People, as alleged in a report, needing to go to Mildura for same day cancer treatment from SA, and not allowed to go home to SA after treatment.

I have a hard time reconciling some of your statements.

Are you saying the government should immediately take responsibility for the failure of very highly paid executives in private companies and charities for failing to do their job and carry out their responsibilities under the various acts and health orders

Executives who defraud and rob citizens are not at fault because the ACCC and fraud detection squads did not find them before they robbed people and the reason you lost your money is the governments fault?

Perhaps it is totally the governments fault for drink drivers killing people because they didn't have enough policing on the streets to find every drink driver and drink drivers should be left alone to do whatever they want because its not their fault?

Perhaps we don't need OH&S legislation because its all the governments fault anyway if staff are not trained properly or supervised properly and put at risk.
I am saying that Health is and always has been a State responsibility.And by the way they in Victoria will have to follow the Victorian OHS for which the penalties are harsh.Indeed if it can be proven that it was the fault of the executives that Covid got into their nursing home and there were deaths they can under Victorian OHS law be charged with manslaughter.

Your argument is on an entirely different subject not related to the current pandemic.There is a Royal Commission into those matters with Nursing homes and there should be prosecutions arise from that if what I have read is correct.

But as I and lovetravellingoz have said this second wave in Victoria goes back to the hotel quarantine issues.The information coming out is just getting worse-and there will be problems for Gladys B as well if this article is correct.

Or the reverse. People, as alleged in a report, needing to go to Mildura for same day cancer treatment from SA, and not allowed to go home to SA after treatment.
There are certainly reports of children medical needing care in Victoria as SA doesnt provide it, then being stuck in Victoria when they have been released to go home to SA.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I am saying that Health is and always has been a State responsibility.And by the way they in Victoria will have to follow the Victorian OHS for which the penalties are harsh.Indeed if it can be proven that it was the fault of the executives that Covid got into their nursing home and there were deaths they can under Victorian OHS law be charged with manslaughter.

Your argument is on an entirely different subject not related to the current pandemic.There is a Royal Commission into those matters with Nursing homes and there should be prosecutions arise from that if what I have read is correct.

But as I and lovetravellingoz have said this second wave in Victoria goes back to the hotel quarantine issues.The information coming out is just getting worse-and there will be problems for Gladys B as well if this article is correct.

I'm not referring to another matter. I'm referring to the current outbreaks at non-government nursing homes in Victoria where some don't appear from media reports (which may be flawed} that many homes had no PPE, some homes were not or insufficiently prepared at all for an outbreak, some homes where PPE was supplied conducted little or no or insufficient training, some homes where vision is in the media of used PPE lying around on tables and chairs and floors and there is obviously insufficient supervision or monitoring, homes where symptomatic staff who were ill were allowed to come to work and work across multiple sites, or more. These things are all the responsibility & accountability of the administrators of the homes.

Sure the legislation, medical health restrictions and orders are issued by the various governments, but these lapses all point back to those who are there day to day owning and running the homes.

Our taxes don't cover having a government "police" officer of various flavours at every premises in the state every day to see if the directions are being followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back