Australian Reports of the Virus Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
AP and Gladys are both scheduled to have press conferences at 1100.
We will learn our fate then.

Sounds like one of the QLD cases is a cleaner at the school & returned to QLD from VIC via NSW.

Sounds like one of the QLD cases is a cleaner at the school & returned to QLD from VIC via NSW.
Yes. Have edited my previous comment.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they both will be charged by police.

A school, a couple of restaurants and a shopping centre will be closed for two days for deep clean. All aged care facilities on the south side of Brisbane will be closed to visitors and staff are not to work at multiple sites as a precautionary measure.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The teacher returned last week from interstate. So not a question of too much mixing in Qld. The question begs - which state?

And now there is a bun fight. From my mothers days in a nursing home, there was only one registered nurse to cover the whole facility yet there are complaints because only graduate nurses were sent in by Aspen. Seems to me that that action would raise the skills level by 100%+ so not sure why that is a complaint. Current staff were apparently sent home to isolate. Another good start.
Not a teacher - two 19 year olds who appear to have lied on their border forms and raced around for 8 days while infectious....
Post automatically merged:

This is very disappointing. Many other expletives actually but not suitable for here.
The travellers should have been in hotel quarantine not out in the community going about their business.
What can you do if they deliberately lie, which is what it sounds like.....

After the event, you throw the book at them. Fines, enforced isolation until confirmed recovered. Send them the bill for cleaning and facility closures that result from their fraudulent actions (if proven they lied).

The Australian reporting two 19 year olds who returned from Melbourne via NSW on 21st July. Were active in the community for eight days

Not just active, but actively out in the community with symptoms, according to the statements I have read.

Im so angry right now, Im a week away from a FNQ trip and now the border will likely close not because of anything NSW did but because two young selfish Queenslanders have done the wrong thing by lying on their border declarations; and then being out and about with symptoms. I want to know why they were let into NSW from Vic (neither sound like essential workers), whether they did in fact transit a declared NSW Hotspot and how they were able to lie again at the Qld border.

Not a teacher - two 19 year olds who appear to have lied on their border forms and raced around for 8 days while infectious....
Post automatically merged:

Make a very BIG and PUBLIC example of them - perhaps a short stint behind bars awaiting a hearing?

Make a very BIG and PUBLIC example of them - perhaps a short stint behind bars awaiting a hearing?
Palaszczuk has said she is furious, so I think they will have definitely have charges against them if the rumours are proven.

Qld have just announced they will be closing the borders to Greater Sydney as of midnight Saturday.

Wondering If I can get a flight before then and still have my holiday? And does that mean Friday night or Saturday?

It would mean moving a bunch of work meetings; and delaying my lounge delivery.

Im absolutely livid right now, that cough behaviour by Queenslanders has robbed me of a much needed break. And that Palaszczuk punishes Sydney due to Qld who contracted the virus in Vic. 2020 sucks.

The discussion regarding Aged care, its Funding and other related issues is obfuscation and would in normal circumstances be off topic here.

Note the Victorian Government declared a State of Emergency in March which gives state authorities responsibility for all health and in particular COVID-19 dealings. the following quote explains it:

"A State of Emergency declaration gives the Victorian Chief Health Officer broad powers to act to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health by detaining people, restricting movement, preventing entry to premises, or providing any other directions considered reasonable to protect public health, slow the spread of infection, reduce the pressure on the heath system and minimise the risks of COVID-19."

I guess we will find out in the fullness of time. I'm not in government nor am I in healthcare or aged care. From what I have observed from media and other reports

• The feds fund aged care which in the main run by private and public companies and charities, except where the home has been set up and run by a state government.
  • The feds set the rules & standards for running these company and charity run homes
  • The advice issued by the feds health minister and fCHO is publicly available information
  • The advice issued by the state health minister and sCHO is publicly available information
  • These companies and charities have access to information from their industry bodies including access to experiences in other homes in the state and interstate
  • These companies have had concerns raised by unions and industry insiders represented to them about their management
  • They have access to the internet and media and will have seen the outfall over Newmarch etc
  • Public and private companies are and have been expected to follow that advice and prepare their Covid plans and training for staff. Most companies have, some well, some not so well, it would seem on the surface this was not done or done poorly by the companies and charities running these homes
The questions I would be asking are (and I would ask most of these of almost any company or entity from BHP to the local restaurant)
  • Given we had a pandemic which risks your profitability, reputation, ongoing funding, staff health and resident health, what risk analysis was done.
  • What action plans were prepared
  • Who in the company was responsible for managing that plan
  • What staff training plans were put in place
  • What changes to practices and procedures were put in place
  • What monitoring program was put in place to ensure the changes were being implemented effectively
  • What actions were taken to ring fence the home and staff from an outbreak
  • Given PPE has been readily available on the open market at reasonable prices and not in short supply for some 2-3 months, what preparatory actions were taken to source same and stockpile as part of your action plan
  • Did your plan include risk analysis of staffing arrangements and surge management
  • Why when you had an outbreak in the home did you not lockdown
  • Why did you not introduce PPE
  • Why did you not purchase PPE and wait for the feds to send you some from the stockpile.
  • Why did your home and most of the privately/company run homes under federal jurisdiction have outbreaks and the Vic gov run ones didn't.

Last edited:
Wondering If I can get a flight before then and still have my holiday? And does that mean Friday night or Saturday?

It would mean moving a bunch of work meetings; and delaying my lounge delivery.

Im absolutely livid right now, that cough behaviour by Queenslanders has robbed me of a much needed break. And that Palaszczuk punishes Sydney due to Qld who contracted the virus in Vic. 2020 sucks.
1am Saturday morning. So you'd have to be here Friday night.

Apparently decision relating to the closure of border to Greater Sydney independent of the two returned travellers and instead a reflection of the widening geographic spread.

NSW 19 cases today

3 funeral gatherings cluster
10 Thai Rock Wetherill Park
2 Thai Rock Potts Point
1 The Apollo
1 Crossroads Hotel
2 overseas arrivals quarantine

After the event, you throw the book at them. Fines, enforced isolation until confirmed recovered. Send them the bill for cleaning and facility closures that result from their fraudulent actions (if proven they lied).
not to mention the poor employees who then can't work while the cleaning is taking place.I think as we have had the more stringent rules in place long enough for everyone to understand, the fines and other penalties should be increased. Maybe the thought of copping a $5,000 fine instead of a couple of hundred might get through the thick heads of these idiots. If they are wandering about with the potential to pass the virus on then they are deliberately placing lives at risk

widening geographic spread

But the only new area is Potts Point/Kings Cross - they could have just added that LGA to the hot spot list - the other case growth has been in the existing hotspots (i.e. neighbouring areas of Liverpool, Campbletown and Fairfield). And today's numbers fairly stable.

So there are zero cases in my LGA or the 3 neighbouring LGAs but we get punished, yet regional LGAs with actual cases like Batemans Bay are NOT declared hotspots - so fricken illogical.

AP has been looking for an excuse. Now we will see how good her team are at managing outbreaks, since its not a tourist that has caused the Qld problem but selfish Queensland Residents.

Last edited:
Palaszczuk has said she is furious, so I think they will have definitely have charges against them if the rumours are proven.
Sorry to burst your bubble...lying on a Qld border declaration can only attract about a $4000 fine or court imposed fine of about $13,000

Clearly Qld did not learn from the SA border experience where I think they changed their law to include jail time.

Edit: Found an ABC article on 16 July suggesting they increased to include jail

Last edited:
Reactions: RAM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back