Change in Platinum Card Travel Insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I registered my dissatisfaction via the website. (Not that it will do much good I suspect.) With Priority Pass and Marco Polo Gold being pretty much useless for me, the insurance was the last real value.

i did the same and received a reply this afternoon. To my dismay about the only part that was personalised was the number of years i'd been a member for.. the rest was trying to sell the other benefits of the card.. Massive fail AMEX.

i did the same and received a reply this afternoon. To my dismay about the only part that was personalised was the number of years i'd been a member for.. the rest was trying to sell the other benefits of the card.. Massive fail AMEX.
I have an email stating that there is a response to my complaint. As I'm out and about I can only login to the mobile site and that is even more useless than the Qantas mobile site.
Very poor Amex :!:

The first reply I got didn't answer any of the questions I raised. I wrote back and got a second response today. In a longer version Amex again doesn't answer any of the questions and it reads like a sales pitch. The only personalised bit for too was how long I'd been a member. I have 10 months to go before another $900 is due. If I can establish that a trip later in the year is covered on the old insurance terms I'll bide my time and decide whether I downgrade the card or find a new principal card provider. If the trip is not adequately covered I'll seek to cancel my card and get a refund.

Here's my response from AMEX (complete dud if you ask me), sounds very similar to those described here:

Dear Mr 11sjw,

We are sorry to know that you are not happy with the recent changes to the Platinum Travel Insurance and that you would be continuing your membership with us.

I assure you that I have passed on your feedback to our Marketing Team as well. They will try and see the possible options to make the Platinum Charge Card work for you.

You have been a Valued Member of American Express for 7 years, with the last 1 year as a Platinum Charge Cardmember. I wanted to thank you for this and let you wanted to remind you of one specific benefit that you may not be aware of, which is "Refund Potection".

It gives you cover for theft or damage to Eligible Item within 90 days of purchase, it makes purchasing on your Platinum Card incredibly secure.

You have the feature of "The Buyer's Advantage program" on your Card which is an extended warranty benefit enabling you to double the manufacturer's warranty (up to 12 months) on electrical items purchased within Australia.

You also have the benefit of FX International Payment. With this, you can send funds to almost every country in the world using our simple, secure online system. This is a bank to bank transfer service to compliment card purchases.

As per your card product, I see that you’ll receive 1 Membership Rewards point for every $20.00 international payments / international transfers once all criteria is met.

With the Platinum Card, you have the benefit of a dedicated 24 / 7 team of experienced and knowledgeable consultants who can offer you fantastic service including the latest travel offers and great advice for travel related enquiries as well.

You also receive the benefit of "Platinum Concierge" giving you access to a range of premium services designed to make your life easier.

Platinum Concierge is on hand to assist you so that you can leave your tickets, dinner reservations and car transfer arrangements to us. No request is too big or too small for our Platinum Concierge Team.

Enjoy access to more than 600 VIP lounges through complimentary and unrestricted membership of Priority Pass, the world's largest independent airport lounge program. You'll find them in 300 cities across 90 countries.

I'd also like to inform you that you get to enjoy a complement, with our compliments. You'll be pleased to discover a complimentary Platinum Reserve Credit Card is included with your membership of the Platinum Charge Card(with the $395.00 annual Card fee waived). Better still; the Card comes with an economy return flight to 7 international destinations and 29 domestic destinations or an overnight hotel stay - every year.

With Fine Dining privileges our Platinum service professionals are on hand to secure your reservations at world-class restaurants around the world.

Platinum's by invitation only program gives you unhindered opportunities to experience exceptional social events throughout the year such as intimate wine dinners, drive days, fashion shows, theatrical previews, VIP functions, major sporting events and evenings with celebrated figures.

The Qantas Frequent Flyer program is just one of 8 airline rewards programs that you can transfer your Membership Rewards points to. It's all thanks to Membership Rewards Ascent Premium, which is our highest premium Membership Rewards program.

With the Ascent Premium tier, you earn 1.5 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on your Card.

Regrettably, we will be unable to comment on the Insurance plans as these are decided and handled by our dedicated Ace Insurance Servicing team.

Therefore, to further discuss the insurance plans in detail; I would request you to speak directly with them. You can contact them by calling toll free at 1800 236 023 or 612 9335 3492 (From overseas).

We appreciate your understanding.
Sincerely,

There was an offer sent out that involved a free night at very select starwood hotels. I think (from memory) the only one in Australia was a Port Douglas, but there were a few in Asia, including the Maldives, and a few in the US and Europe...

Called and talked to Platinum Travel. The Promotion Name is 'Starwood WOW' and includes one free night at a selection of Starwood Hotels.

Not that many in Asia (I only asked for the mainstream destinations):

W Koh Samui
W Bali
Andawan Langkawi

I inquired about California and got quoted the:

Sheraton Marina San Diego
Westin Mission Hills Palm Springs

That together with the welcome Bonus brings the Platinum Card down to a pretty good value this year.

Here's my response from AMEX (complete dud if you ask me), sounds very similar to those described here:

Dear Mr 11sjw,

We are sorry to know that you are not happy with the recent changes to the Platinum Travel Insurance but we are going to completely ignore this fact.

I assure you that I have passed on your feedback to our Marketing Team who are currently having a jolly old chuckle.

You have been a Valued Member of American Express for 7 years, with the last 1 year as a Platinum Charge Cardmember. I wanted to thank you for this and now I'm going to dribble on about pointless benefits that are of no real use to you, but hopefully it will distract from the huge reduction in benefits made to the travel insurance component.

Of course you already knew about these, having taken them into consideration when you applied for the card, but we'll just continue to treat you like the idiot we think you are.

We don't really care if you "understand" or not, there's a sucker born every day and as long as we keep pitching the card as "premium" people will buy into it.

Not at all Sincerely,

That's my summary of what they are really saying.

I sent my feedback directly to the Manager of Public Affairs and Communication, but not had a response. Probably because I specifically said that the TI was the major reason for getting the card, and the other benefits don't really interest me.

Dear Mr 11sjw,

We are sorry to know that you are not happy with the recent changes to the Platinum Travel Insurance and that you would be continuing your membership with us.

I assure you that I have passed on your feedback to our Marketing Team as well. They will try and see the possible options to make the Platinum Charge Card work for you.

You have been a Valued Member of American Express for 7 years, with the last 1 year as a Platinum Charge Cardmember. I wanted to thank you for this and let you wanted to remind you of one specific benefit that you may not be aware of, which is "Refund Potection".

It gives you cover for theft or damage to Eligible Item within 90 days of purchase, it makes purchasing on your Platinum Card incredibly secure.

You have the feature of "The Buyer's Advantage program" on your Card which is an extended warranty benefit enabling you to double the manufacturer's warranty (up to 12 months) on electrical items purchased within Australia.

You also have the benefit of FX International Payment. With this, you can send funds to almost every country in the world using our simple, secure online system. This is a bank to bank transfer service to compliment card purchases.

As per your card product, I see that you’ll receive 1 Membership Rewards point for every $20.00 international payments / international transfers once all criteria is met.

With the Platinum Card, you have the benefit of a dedicated 24 / 7 team of experienced and knowledgeable consultants who can offer you fantastic service including the latest travel offers and great advice for travel related enquiries as well.

You also receive the benefit of "Platinum Concierge" giving you access to a range of premium services designed to make your life easier.

Platinum Concierge is on hand to assist you so that you can leave your tickets, dinner reservations and car transfer arrangements to us. No request is too big or too small for our Platinum Concierge Team.

Enjoy access to more than 600 VIP lounges through complimentary and unrestricted membership of Priority Pass, the world's largest independent airport lounge program. You'll find them in 300 cities across 90 countries.

I'd also like to inform you that you get to enjoy a complement, with our compliments. You'll be pleased to discover a complimentary Platinum Reserve Credit Card is included with your membership of the Platinum Charge Card(with the $395.00 annual Card fee waived). Better still; the Card comes with an economy return flight to 7 international destinations and 29 domestic destinations or an overnight hotel stay - every year.

With Fine Dining privileges our Platinum service professionals are on hand to secure your reservations at world-class restaurants around the world.

Platinum's by invitation only program gives you unhindered opportunities to experience exceptional social events throughout the year such as intimate wine dinners, drive days, fashion shows, theatrical previews, VIP functions, major sporting events and evenings with celebrated figures.

The Qantas Frequent Flyer program is just one of 8 airline rewards programs that you can transfer your Membership Rewards points to. It's all thanks to Membership Rewards Ascent Premium, which is our highest premium Membership Rewards program.

With the Ascent Premium tier, you earn 1.5 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on your Card.

Regrettably, we will be unable to comment on the Insurance plans as these are decided and handled by our dedicated Ace Insurance Servicing team.

Therefore, to further discuss the insurance plans in detail; I would request you to speak directly with them. You can contact them by calling toll free at 1800 236 023 or 612 9335 3492 (From overseas).

Sincerely,

Bollocks! Most of that I don't use. I will for the first time in about 5 years use the priority lounge access in Koh Samui. ( I will let you know if it's any good). The real issue for me has been and remains travel insurance, and 1.5 points per $ spend. I believe other cards in the Amex stable offer similar benefits for less than half the cost. .....I will wait and see. :-(
And according to ACE when I called this is/ was an Amex decision alone.

Dear Mr 11sjw,

Sincerely,

Mine was identical to yours except for the number of years.. Cut and paste response..

Dear Mr 11sjw,

Sincerely,
Except for the years of membership bit that looks remarkably like my response. :evil:

Here is the "response" with all nonresponsive crud eliminated:

Dear Mr 11sjw,

I assure you that I have passed on your feedback to our Marketing Team as well.

Sincerely,

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

Here is the "response" with all nonresponsive crud eliminated:

I just got a similar response and they wee saying it was ACE's suggestion to change the policy conditions and that I should speak to them directly..

I just got a similar response and they wee saying it was ACE's suggestion to change the policy conditions and that I should speak to them directly..

Isn't the response to Amex something along the lines of:

"My "contract" is with Amex not with Ace"?

I would rather they axe the Priority Pass membership, as it's useless in Australia and when travelling overseas I have to pay for a guest to enter with me., which never happens. That would be worth at least $300 which they're paying for that I don't need, but they, in their wisdom cut back onthe TI instead.

I was told by ACE that the changes to the policy were negotiated between Amex and ACE. Which is what you would expect: ACE would suggest changes and tell Amex what the impact on the policy cost for Amex is of each change. Amex then decides how little they want to pay for a policy.

Of all the advantages of owning an AMEX card, the insurance is one to keep and strengthen - not weaken.

I am not comfortable relying on the new insurance arrangements - and with a family member with a PEMC it's practically useless.

I agree - IMHO the Priority Pass can go. It gets next to no use now with domestic Virgin lounges no longer accepting it.

What other AMEX options could be removed before the insurance was diluted?

I would rather they axe the Priority Pass membership, as it's useless in Australia and when travelling overseas I have to pay for a guest to enter with me., which never happens. That would be worth at least $300 which they're paying for that I don't need, but they, in their wisdom cut back onthe TI instead.

Of all the advantages of owning an AMEX card, the insurance is one to keep and strengthen - not weaken.

I am not comfortable relying on the new insurance arrangements - and with a family member with a PEMC it's practically useless.

I agree - IMHO the Priority Pass can go. It gets next to no use now with domestic Virgin lounges no longer accepting it.

What other AMEX options could be removed before the insurance was diluted?

In comparison, I have a UK based AMEX Plat Charge Card and the Priority Pass membership is great value as when doing leisure travel you often find yourself going on the cheapest airline as the premium for the full service carriers just isn't worth it.

Am sure Amex does not pay $300 per pp member!
Equally I have barely used it - coughet and guilin, although will shortly use in Taipei, Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi

Am sure Amex does not pay $300 per pp member!
Equally I have barely used it - coughet and guilin, although will shortly use in Taipei, Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi

Don't feel too privileged in KL. If you are flying from LCCT, the lounge is the size of my lounge at home and very poor. If you are flying from KLIA, the lounge is at the satellite and I've never managed to actually catch a flight from there yet.

I am not sure if this is the right thread but how does the AMEX TI compares to the Visa Signature/Select?
An alternative I guess.

Could someone please summarise this thread...
ie what are the major changes etc?
ta
jc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back