Crew Showed MA15+ Movie to all PAX on QF59

Actually, no, I didn't. :cool:. I live a sheltered life.

I genuinely don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or you are just very confused. I assume the former in which case you’ve proven my point about careless wording.

Now the thread title is changed to reality I expect many will think “meh”.

Also worth noting this was a Japan flight. Japan doesn't have M or MA ratings. They go from PG12 to R15+ (for persons aged 15 and above only).

It would appear you can't show R15+ to kids under 15, even with adult supervision.

Also worth noting this was a Japan flight. Japan doesn't have M or MA ratings. They go from PG12 to R15+ (for persons aged 15 and above only).

It would appear you can't show R15+ to kids under 15, even with adult supervision.

It’s an Australian registered aircraft in international airspace. Just like how QF serves alcohol to 18 year olds on flights departing the US.

Qantas uses Australian classifications for IFE.

It’s an Australian registered aircraft in international airspace. Just like how QF serves alcohol to 18 year olds on flights departing the US.

Qantas uses Australian classifications for IFE.
Yes, and as mentioned in Australia MA is legally restricted to 15 and over.

Just pointing out why people with kids on the flight have a right to be pissed off. Not legal in Australia, not legal in Japan.

Meanwhile Qantas trying to deflect it as their customers choice of movie...

Just pointing out why people with kids on the flight have a right to be pissed off. Not legal in Australia, not legal in Japan.
Yes, although it doesn’t really matter what the rating was - that’s just a red herring . It was a film not suitable for children that children were able to watch (couldn’t be turned off ) until people realised what was going on. Then it took awhile to get it off the screens. And as people have pointed out, children can fly without an accompanying adult on these flights.

Any my, and many others’s point is if it was indeed X rated like the article said the parents would be more than pissed off.

Truth in journalism goes a long way.

sorry if i missed it… how exactly were passengers able to choose the movie?? show of hands row by row? did they ask a selection of pax?

Do we really need clunky built in IFE?.
Most people have BYO IFE.
Well that's the AA strategy.
And from the renders QFs new 321XLR for domestic routes will be BYO as well.

QF still seem to think it's needed for International however, with planned 330 upgrades to meet the new 350 product.

Not defending QF or the incident in question.

But willing to take a punt media loaded to many personal devices of both older and younger passengers is bit raunchier than the film in question and many kids will have seen equivalent content at homes where parent's have a laxer view than the film classification board.

I know of kids in the religious highschool where my grandkids attend exchanging images on a regular basis that would make some on here including myself cringe.

It's a widespread problem with social media and personal devices in general.

….

Do we really need clunky built in IFE?.
Most people have BYO IFE. Forget the olives, there are better ways to save weight
Yes I prefer it, its much easier and more comfortable than having your own device propped up on the tray table.
You’re of course welcome to continue to bring your iPad, as I do, as alternative IFE.

I understand the same film was pushed to all screens, but why couldn't you just turn screen off if you didn't want to watch?

The off/dim button on QF IFE is a physical button not a menu option on screen.

I always preloade my own device with content that suits me and bring book as a backup.

Sounds a lot like a storm in a teacup.

I understand the same film was pushed to all screens, but why couldn't you just turn screen off if you didn't want to watch?

The off/dim button on QF IFE is a physical button not a menu option on screen.

I always preloade my own device with content that suits me and bring book as a backup.

Sounds a lot like a storm in a teacup.
I think it’s forced through broadcast - non optional

I think it’s forced through broadcast - non optional
So two claim for points then...one ..being forced to watch any movie without ability to turn of the screen..and two...not having any IFE in the first instance!! ,🤭

I once flew on a domestic flight and the person across the aisle in an aisle seat (so visible from multiples seats/rows) was watching an incredibly graphic scene in game of thrones will full frontal female nudity. On their own device - but everyone else could see it. It happens.

I once flew on a domestic flight and the person across the aisle in an aisle seat (so visible from multiples seats/rows) was watching an incredibly graphic scene in game of thrones will full frontal female nudity. On their own device - but everyone else could see it. It happens.
Qantas have Game of Thrones so they might have just been streaming that through the Qantas entertainment app.

Personal devices tend to have a wider viewing angle though.

I've also noticed it's becoming more of an issue with new planes with the reduced width seatbacks (like A321neo). The physical gap between each seat is quite large so you easily notice what's going on in rows ahead of you.

Some may think storm in a teacup but MA15+ films are legally restricted. Just look at the Australian Classification board guide for showing a film publicly.

MA 15+ restricted​

MA 15+ films are legally restricted. MA 15+ films are not suitable for people under the age of 15.

People showing MA 15+ films cannot allow a person under the age of 15 into the film unless they are with a consenting parent or guardian.

The guardian must be an adult with parental control over the child. This could include a grandparent, aunt or uncle, but generally not an older sibling or friend.

The parent or guardian must stay with the child during the film.

In Queensland, the person accompanying the minor can be any adult.

The plane left Sydney. A quick look at NSW legislation shows corporations facing up to 20 penalty units per minor ($2,200). So the fine could be quite large depending on how many people aged 0 to 14 on the flight who didn't have a consenting parent. Clearly there were parents who didn't consent as they tried to disable screens like whack-a-mole until eventually terminating the broadcast.

Some may think storm in a teacup but MA15+ films are legally restricted. Just look at the Australian Classification board guide for showing a film publicly.

MA 15+ restricted​

MA 15+ films are legally restricted. MA 15+ films are not suitable for people under the age of 15.

People showing MA 15+ films cannot allow a person under the age of 15 into the film unless they are with a consenting parent or guardian.

The guardian must be an adult with parental control over the child. This could include a grandparent, aunt or uncle, but generally not an older sibling or friend.

The parent or guardian must stay with the child during the film.

In Queensland, the person accompanying the minor can be any adult.

The plane left Sydney. A quick look at NSW legislation shows corporations facing up to 20 penalty units per minor ($2,200). So the fine could be quite large depending on how many people aged 0 to 14 on the flight who didn't have a consenting parent. Clearly there were a few of them as they tried to disable screens like whack-a-mole until eventually terminating the broadcast.

I’d argue every pax is either of age, or has adult supervision.

For the small group of 12-14 year olds travelling unaccompanied, what’s to stop them watching MA15 content on working IFE? There are no age locks by default (I think pax can set it up during the flight).

State law does not apply on an aircraft, only federal.

Sure it’s a stuff up that shouldn’t have happened but there’s a bit of hyperventilating going on here.

Not sure which card to choose? Compare on AFF and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back