How Early Do you Book a Cruise?

Are we saying that a cruise ship will have enough open deck space for everyone at the specific time to watch an eclipse?

Private balcony? But that might depend on which way the ship is facing?.
We have an aft balcony. But in any case there are plenty of open deck spaces.

Celebrity? As per post upthread?
Not a mega ship these days. Thats around 5-6000. I know that sounds revolting to many but there are so many additional features on such ships and gangways etc that it isn't as bad as it sounds. And they no longer do the group muster thing which is a blessing. Last ship we were on was 900, next one will be 2000, then another 200 river boat. Then this one. Vary it up.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I've been on a few ocean cruises, and 1 multi-night river cruise, and I very much prefer the larger ships. With only 4 nights on the river cruise, I was sick to death of seeing the same people sitting in the same seats eating the same foods, and having literally nowhere to escape. Everyone was obligated to eat at the same time, watch the same entertainment, listen to the same music, and if you didn't like it your only other option was your room. I much prefer 4000+ people ships, with the options and space that necessarily includes.

I always book when the fares are released. Booked a Princess European cruise 10 weeks ago for April 2026. The price has gone up by more than $1500 since then. Another on Cunard just afterwards is also heavily booked already.

We usually book 15-18 months ahead, although it hasn't helped. The last 2 were cancelled, first one for Covid and the second one for war. We are now a little gun shy and have been putting off our next attempt (probably 2026) until Q1/2 next year to see what the new year brings.

Are we saying that a cruise ship will have enough open deck space for everyone at the specific time to watch an eclipse?

Private balcony? But that might depend on which way the ship is facing?.

Won't be an issue on Celebrity (different for 5000+ pax but that's not the case here). Visible from most of the open deck so there's more than enough space for all. Some will go on balconies, other areas in any case.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back