How Early Do you Book a Cruise?

Are we saying that a cruise ship will have enough open deck space for everyone at the specific time to watch an eclipse?

Private balcony? But that might depend on which way the ship is facing?.
We have an aft balcony. But in any case there are plenty of open deck spaces.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Celebrity? As per post upthread?
Not a mega ship these days. Thats around 5-6000. I know that sounds revolting to many but there are so many additional features on such ships and gangways etc that it isn't as bad as it sounds. And they no longer do the group muster thing which is a blessing. Last ship we were on was 900, next one will be 2000, then another 200 river boat. Then this one. Vary it up.

I've been on a few ocean cruises, and 1 multi-night river cruise, and I very much prefer the larger ships. With only 4 nights on the river cruise, I was sick to death of seeing the same people sitting in the same seats eating the same foods, and having literally nowhere to escape. Everyone was obligated to eat at the same time, watch the same entertainment, listen to the same music, and if you didn't like it your only other option was your room. I much prefer 4000+ people ships, with the options and space that necessarily includes.

I always book when the fares are released. Booked a Princess European cruise 10 weeks ago for April 2026. The price has gone up by more than $1500 since then. Another on Cunard just afterwards is also heavily booked already.

We usually book 15-18 months ahead, although it hasn't helped. The last 2 were cancelled, first one for Covid and the second one for war. We are now a little gun shy and have been putting off our next attempt (probably 2026) until Q1/2 next year to see what the new year brings.

Are we saying that a cruise ship will have enough open deck space for everyone at the specific time to watch an eclipse?

Private balcony? But that might depend on which way the ship is facing?.

Won't be an issue on Celebrity (different for 5000+ pax but that's not the case here). Visible from most of the open deck so there's more than enough space for all. Some will go on balconies, other areas in any case.

Id shudder to think what a mega ship actually is if celebrity is not "mega"
RCL has the mega ships. Celebrity is akin to the usual Princess, Cunard lines etc. not mega.
Post automatically merged:

I've been on a few ocean cruises, and 1 multi-night river cruise, and I very much prefer the larger ships. With only 4 nights on the river cruise, I was sick to death of seeing the same people sitting in the same seats eating the same foods, and having literally nowhere to escape. Everyone was obligated to eat at the same time, watch the same entertainment, listen to the same music, and if you didn't like it your only other option was your room. I much prefer 4000+ people ships, with the options and space that necessarily includes.
Oh I hear ya there. We are however doing Mekong and Cambodia River cruise next September. That was half paid for by Viking for our failed Christmas Rhine cruise last December. Thank goodness for Australia's consumer protection and the recent High Court decision against scenic.

Post Covid, we are taking life a year at a time and this applies to holidays, usually a cruise and booked about a year out.
The disappointing thing is that we can now afford to go anywhere we like, whenever we like but are no longer driven
by a need to see the world.. (the bits we have missed)

I guess everyone has their own personal ideas of too big.
I’d be done at 500, if I was to cruise
Yeah. But those cruises cost a monty and more than I'm willing to pay. Although one of the best cruises we did was a 35 person trip on a small boat through Croatia. Was expecting to meet people from across the world. The night everyone introduced themselves - 31 Aussies onboard.

It does run the risk of not being able to escape people. And there was set lunch and dinner. We avoided the lunch which lasted some time by buying some of the local flavours and eating them up top in the sunshine while others had to sit in the dining room. Some got a bit antsy with us doing that including the tour person and others were jealous but hey, it was our holiday and we don't eat big meals at anytime let alone lunch time.

Thank goodness for Australia's consumer protection and the recent High Court decision against scenic.
I've read Moore vs Scenic Tours.
So now you can sue for dissapointment or as Justice Edelman wrote "expectation loss" - that the tour/cruise/product did not meet your expectation.
A bit nuts IMO - HCoA has not opined on the very common problem called "unrealistic expectations". However, it has the effect of making tour providers consider cancelling early rather than push through come hell or high water which may be a better outcome for most.

The original judgement was that the value of "dissapointment" was worth $2000 but this litigation took almost 10 years to get there and immense cost for both sides.

Just booked a cruise to see a total solar eclipse. For August. 2026. Just hope I live long enough. 😂
We book cruises as soon as they become available, in order to secure the staterooms we want on the itineraries we want. Then we watch it for prices changes and adjust accordingly. With future cruise credits and free cancellation up until closer to the time of departure, it's easy. Already onto 2026.
As an added "incentive", booking far out cruises could mean that if they cancel the cruise or the itinerary they will often give you compensation for your inconvenience!

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back