Indonesia Air Asia flight QZ 8501 loses contact with ATC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now here's a new idea from the Indonesian government following the AirAsia crash:

AirAsia QZ8501 Crash: Indonesia Vows New Curbs on Budget-Airline Fares

So how does an airline that charges $200 for a seat automatically become safer than one that offers seats for $20?? Well, at least much easier to implement than fixing the true underlying issues, such as government oversight of the industry, corruption, etc. :confused:

May be the assumption that $200 seat airlines can afford to service their aircraft better?

I just read that news and thought WOW.......shows just how inefficient the pings or the receiving technology is. Where is this plane? 25m of water and visible and they only received the pings after 2-3 weeks of searching? Who makes these black box bizzos.......Microsoft?

may be a idea to improve the blackbox is a g sensor, when it experiences certain g levels it rings home.. might help in some instances

How bout epirb, iPhone 6, android 6, dashcam, fitbit surge and sub sonar ping device....throw in the inspire 1 app....that's a black box 2015 style.....
Qantas will have a free T-shirt in theirs with the new ad man board member appointed!

How bout epirb, iPhone 6, android 6, dashcam, fitbit surge and sub sonar ping device....throw in the inspire 1 app....that's a black box 2015 style.....
Qantas will have a free T-shirt in theirs with the new ad man board member appointed!

All of which are near useless in the middle of the ocean (or for that matter middle of Australia) where there are no cell towers

I suspect the technology is fine, it's just the combination of what I deem to be a very badly managed search, and inept people involved.

I guess what this has driven home to me is just how fruitless the MH370 search for pings was, when it takes them 2-3 weeks to hear the pings from a plane in such a shallow depth of water, in a location that they knew.

Tail section raised and now on boat. Plenty of photos and videos on Twitter from Indo media

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Lets not forget that Singapore has sent quite a few assets to the search area.It is not all Indonesia.
Singapore also has a different take on whether the Sunday flight was authorised-

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS), however, said that approval had been given for the Surabaya-Singapore sector based on the air rights that were available under the air services deal between both countries. The airline had applied to operate a daily flight between Surabaya and Singapore, arriving at Changi Airport at 8.30am and departing for Surabaya at 2.10pm, the CAAS said on Jan 3, in response to media queries. The application was made for the period Oct 26, 2014, to March 6, 2015.
"These daily flights were approved as there were available air traffic rights under the bilateral air services agreement and the slots at Changi Airport were available," it added. The airline was operating the flight four times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
The Search for AirAsia Flight QZ8501 | A Straits Times special report

And the excellence and professionalism of the search continues...

The black boxes are in a crushed part of the aircraft debris, making it very difficult for the team of divers," said Tonny Budiono, a navigation director for the transport ministry.

"Because of time constraints, (we) have decided to retrieve the black boxes tomorrow morning by gradually shifting these layers of aircraft body debris."

But if that fails, Mr Budiono said divers would lift the debris using inflatable balloons, the same technique used to lift the tail section on Saturday.

Navy spokesman Manahan Simorangkir, however, denied that the black box had been found, saying divers could not confirm its exact location due to poor weather and visibility.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/wor...red-zero-in-on-black-box-20150111-12m4f8.html

Gee the irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife. :)

I guess we just have to rely on the search team and what they pick up. No reason for the Indonesians to delay unnecessarily or mess up - this isn't Garuda we're talking about here, unless Tony Fernandes paid off the team to hide some stuff. Maybe our dear leader should try and shirt-front someone to click into action, maybe demonise a few leaders, threaten a few sanctions.....

Gee the irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife. :)

I guess we just have to rely on the search team and what they pick up. No reason for the Indonesians to delay unnecessarily or mess up - this isn't Garuda we're talking about here, unless Tony Fernandes paid off the team to hide some stuff. Maybe our dear leader should try and shirt-front someone to click into action, maybe demonise a few leaders, threaten a few sanctions.....

Recovered many any black boxes in similar circumstances??

The black boxes are in a crushed part of the aircraft debris, making it very difficult for the team of divers," said Tonny Budiono, a navigation director for the transport ministry.

"Because of time constraints, (we) have decided to retrieve the black boxes tomorrow morning by gradually shifting these layers of aircraft body debris."

But if that fails, Mr Budiono said divers would lift the debris using inflatable balloons, the same technique used to lift the tail section on Saturday.

Navy spokesman Manahan Simorangkir, however, denied that the black box had been found, saying divers could not confirm its exact location due to poor weather and visibility.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/wor...red-zero-in-on-black-box-20150111-12m4f8.html

We gotta remember that this is a developing country who are unaccustomed to this type of large scale of search. Lack of excellence or professionalism, I'd be expecting that and much more. That said, shove a microphone into anyone's mouth and people say BS all the time. Look at Tony Abbott for example, he pin pointed MH370's blackboxes to within 1km. "We are confident that we know the position of the black box flight recorder to within about a kilometre" he said.

We gotta remember that this is a developing country who are unaccustomed to this type of large scale of search. Lack of excellence or professionalism, I'd be expecting that and much more. That said, shove a microphone into anyone's mouth and people say BS all the time. Look at Tony Abbott for example, he pin pointed MH370's blackboxes to within 1km. "We are confident that we know the position of the black box flight recorder to within about a kilometre" he said.

I think you may also underestimate the difficulty of retrieving something (even only 30m down) in dark muddy water with visibility under a couple of metres and strong currents, that may be buried under a tonne or so of twisted sharp metal.

It does appear that the Indonesians have feeled to heed the lessons of MH370 that you need a single person facing the press to ensure a consistent message comes out is important - rather than dripfeeding by different people who may or may not have full knowledge of the operations
(and that having political leaders grandstanding and inferring more out of cautious statements (aka Mr Abbot) is downright dangerous)

I think you may also underestimate the difficulty of retrieving something (even only 30m down) in dark muddy water with visibility under a couple of metres and strong currents, that may be buried under a tonne or so of twisted sharp metal.

I'm not underestimating the difficulty in finding such a small object in such a huge expanse of water. For example when I misplace my house keys, and I live in a tiny place, it takes me ages to find it, so I can just imagine the scale of the searching for a black box will be multipled by hundreds of thousands more difficult. I am just not expecting much from anyone right now, you either have found it or you haven't. Anything else, is just raising expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back