Major changes to Velocity Frequent Flyer announced 17/10/24

I think they are okay changes, provided they vastly improve the product (lounge & onboard), that is the big question!
Even on DSC for many who were chasing status, this is a huge drop when on a discounted fare.
I posted an example of this yesterday, such as the current $319 J MEL-OOL currently earns 80 status credits, under the new $ based earn, this will be 26 status credits.
Even under DSC (52), it's still far less than the current 80 without DSC.
Many will find it impossible to maintain their status after these changes, but that is clearly the plan, they want to award status to genuine high $ customers.
These sweet spots just like Qantas Any Seat awards 10-12 years ago are the cause of the problem that Virgin is now trying to fix.

I recently booked OOL-SYD return for 3 of us for $750 earning 90 SCs which is only marginally more than the one you mention above. I'm not even going to try and work out many SCs that would be in the new system.

Note that Qantas has had a few similar changes over the years that have neither imqproved lounges or onboard product. I cannot see that happening with Virgin either and all they'll manage to do is make loyal customers angry.

Asked for my lifetime SC earn (since 1 Feb 2013) via Chat this morning and got response within 4 hours.

"Your Status Credits earned from 01 February 2013 up to today's date is at 6,929"

Didn't get the split up of Partner earn (as don't think I have flown any of their partner airlines - all our overseas travel has been on VA metal), or Family pooling (which wouldn't be a significant amount).

Still got a bit of flying to do. Back on the plane this Saturday. Got a new goal (other than finishing LTG with QF)

I'd be curious to learn if any Virgin Elites are pursuing the recent double status credit promotion on Qantas, and whether they will do a status match with them? For the latter, it's my understanding that one simply needs to call Qantas Frequent Flyer and ask for the status accelerator to match against their Virgin Gold. At which point it's just 200 status credits to earn Qantas Gold which sounds like a lot until you realize there is that double status credits promotion meaning in effect you only need to earn 100 base status credits with Qantas.

-RooFlyer88

I'd be curious to learn if any Virgin Elites are pursuing the recent double status credit promotion on Qantas, and whether they will do a status match with them? For the latter, it's my understanding that one simply needs to call Qantas Frequent Flyer and ask for the status accelerator to match against their Virgin Gold. At which point it's just 200 status credits to earn Qantas Gold which sounds like a lot until you realize there is that double status credits promotion meaning in effect you only need to earn 100 base status credits with Qantas.

-RooFlyer88
Qantas won't do a SM to virgin. They'll offer a fast track (maybe more visibly) but not SM. They know their tiers are significantly more valuable. Unless they offer a match doing VA WP > QF SG and VA SG > QF PS. But that doesn't quite sit well I'd imagine from optics

-RooFlyer88

I would hazard a guess* Qantas wouldn’t grant these during a DSC promo

*I believe the North American phrase is Venture a guess.

-RooFlyer88
I assume many VA status chasers will be doing the opposite, given these changes aren't coming into effect for new bookings until 2nd April 2025 and with the current sale fares, including J, it might be the last time (or potentially second-last time) for many to secure another 12 months of status on the cheap.
Perhaps 12 months later, it might be a different story.

Especially for QF LTP! 😉

The DSC will help with one if those.
Not trying for QF LTP - a bridge too far. LTG is the only goal I have with QF.

The VA J sale fares at the moment will help to push me past Plat renewal numbers by 28/02/25 (along with family pooling on upcoming Japan trip).

-RooFlyer88
Yes, just trying to use DSC to get those last 130 SC’s - have got 12 months to do it.

Those who have their desired status level in the bag by renewal (VA or QF) will probably be looking to switch flying to the other carrier so they can achieve double elite status.

🤔 Accelerator wouldn’t really help me even as (currently) Silver - seating on short haul QF flights isn't an issue. If I buy whY, I'm always looking to upgrade to J, but I'm not fussed with a narrow seat for east coast triangle flights.

Last edited:
Looks like the MSAM (Main Stream Aviation Media) is now advertising the pending VA termination of the EY agreement and the cutback of the SQ agreement pending QR financial stake, some of the smaller blogs are doing click-baity titles of "Virgin agreement with Singapore will be cut!" (or similar along those lines)

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Looks like the MSAM (Main Stream Aviation Media) is now advertising the pending VA termination of the EY agreement and the cutback of the SQ agreement pending QR financial stake, some of the smaller blogs are doing click-baity titles of "Virgin agreement with Singapore will be cut!" (or similar along those lines)

It’s not really click bait, as cut can mean both remove or reduce. It’s objectively one of those things.

Surprised it’s taken this long. Even AFF haven’t done an article about it.

There needed to be a culling of status but they probably could have found other ways to do.
Yes many ways without getting out sledge hammer.

Gold 600SCs to attain and 450SCs to retain or even 650SCs to attain and 500SCs to retain. Platinum 1100SCs to attain and 900SCs to retain.

Stop silly, gimmicky, double SCs and triple SCs promotions.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back