New Qantas route - Perth to Paris from July 2024

I don't understand it.

Landing a plane and taking off again surely costs significantly more than a direct flight, even if considering the extra crew costs.

Its simply profit, or return on investment. And people will pay thousands of dollars just to save maybe 3-6 hours journey time 🤷‍♂️

I don't understand it.

Landing a plane and taking off again surely costs significantly more than a direct flight, even if considering the extra crew costs.

Actually it doesn’t.

You have to carry the fuel for the second half of the flight, and it takes a lot of extra fuel to carry that fuel. Fuel burn isn’t linear, it decreases fairly rapidly during the flight.

The lighter the aircraft, the higher altitude it can fly, which reduces drag as the air is less dense, so now we’ve reduced weight and drag which are the two forces that work against lift and thrust, which require fuel.

On a long haul flight aircraft will progressively climb higher (usually in 2000FT increments) as fuel is burnt. Carrying an extra 50T on fuel will significantly set that back.

Of course if the transit airport is charging exorbitant fees that might be more than the extra fuel, but probably not.

Sorry, CDG.
EK is there and is open. Admirals Club and Cathay Lounge also. No clue when the AA club will reopen but the CX lounge reopening is supposed to be imminent.

Both were closed when I visited last week flying BA.

I will say the Paul Maxence lounge is worth a visit even just for its… interesting design.

Last edited:
Service starts July 2024. Four times a week, then three from August.

Year round service.
Yes and I am afraid to think of what the Y class meals are like. Am going QR soon can't use Points but can on EK ON forward leg.
Does anybody remember the great QF round world service. Loved the Fiesta route . 707 Syd -LHR VIA PPT ACA NYC LHR? AND OTHER PORTS. Those were the days when QF were a truly global airline. QF&UTA BOTH FLEW TO PARIS.

Today’s QF34 CDG-PER flew over Taliban airspace. Qantas usually avoids this airspace.

IMG_8789.jpeg

BA, SQ, EK, QR, KLM all use this airspace as well, so there’s no problem. I think it’s just a matter of QF being less overcautious and more rational.

Last edited:
Today’s QF34 flew over Taliban airspace. Qantas usually avoids this airspace.

View attachment 400681

BA, SQ, EK, QR, KLM all use this airspace as well, so there’s no problem. I think it’s just a matter of QF being less overcautious and more rational.
i think it’s also about avoiding its usual path through the Gulf, QF10 is doing the same

i think it’s also about avoiding its usual path through the Gulf, QF10 is doing the same

Yet the Perth flight QF 9 to LHR (just flown over) is on its usual route, up the Red Sea and over Iraq. Limitations of this service are here exposed - the caution etc that the airline shows for other city pairs is not available. Fly through and be damned.

1722734280716.png

EDIT: Ref to QF5

Last edited:
LH have announced they won’t be flying through Iranian or Iraqi airspace until at least aug 7, QF route planning must be getting tight on the euro flights, peak summer season too

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back