Oman Air seats now showing up as QF Classic Rewards

Trying to redeem my way to Europe and just noticed that Oman Air (WY) partner awards are now showing up on the QF website. This opens up a lot of new possibilities on a great airline. Looking forward to when they formally join OW!

View attachment 413012

Qantas is charging $905 AUD in Carrier Charges and taxes on that combination. Why? Because they can.

By way of comparison, the direct BA service has a far more reasonable $294, while the KLM service via AMS charges a whopping $2,571! Nose bleed territory almost on par with Emirates.

That is very good news and the carrier charges wouldn’t stop me booking personally as they have a great J product
I’m rapidly running out of QF points though so hopefully they are bookable with Avios soon

Given the cash fares that can be had on some of these routes out of southeast Asia, you're really not getting great value out of 100,000 points with ~$1000+ surcharges each-way. And as just noted, a lot of these flights into Europe are moving to the 737... But horses for courses, I suppose.

Qantas is charging $905 AUD in Carrier Charges and taxes on that combination. Why? Because they can.

By way of comparison, the direct BA service has a far more reasonable $294, while the KLM service via AMS charges a whopping $2,571! Nose bleed territory almost on par with Emirates.
Doesn’t seem as bad on other routes. I found MCT-CGK in J for GBP 124 (and 75,000 points).

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Great if OMan Air would start flying to Australia.

More carriers means more choice and more competition. Very much welcomed in my book.

And considering Qantas doesn’t seem to have major problems with Oman Air that I’m aware of other than competition, the Chairman’s Lounge (aka AUS Govt) should allow it if Oman Air sought access.

More carriers means more choice and more competition. Very much welcomed in my book.

And considering Qantas doesn’t seem to have major problems with Oman Air that I’m aware of other than competition, the Chairman’s Lounge (aka AUS Govt) should allow it if Oman Air sought access.
WY are still a pretty small airline so I doubt they venture down here anytime soon.
They are also best buddies with QR and probably in their sponsorship to join OW that they keep off their turf 🤣

Taxes are taxes (common to any airline). But aren’t the bulk of fuel fines imposed by the operating airline?

Interesting to know what other partners are passing on and how much is actually QF fee?
Ditto. I doubt that’s QF picking a number out of their a$$?

We know the EK fines are even applied to their own FFs making SR almost junk status on premium redemptions….

Taxes are taxes (common to any airline). But aren’t the bulk of fuel fines imposed by the operating airline?

Interesting to know what other partners are passing on and how much is actually QF fee?

Ditto. I doubt that’s QF picking a number out of their a$$?

We know the EK fines are even applied to their own FFs making SR almost junk status on premium redemptions….

The Carrier Charges component are entirely at the Airline’s discretion. They will charge as much as they think they can get away with before the consumer cries fowl and calls them out, creates mass public backlash and their members disengage from the program. Even then, some airlines still just don’t care.

Carrier charges vary wildly based on several factors including (but not limited to) marketed/operating airline and the routing. As an example, more popular routes such as SYD-LHR using QF points on QF metal would charge significantly more in Carrier charges than a similar distance routing between two less desirable third world cities with different economies/wealth.

It goes without saying that Qantas is notorious for applying exorbitant Carrier Charges on award bookings. A couple of key reasons they do this is because;

1) It goes straight to their bottom line (more profit, more CEO bonuses etc), and

2) They can sneakily devalue members’ points in the background while remaining somewhat competitive in the points redemption market without seeming to charge a higher number of points upfront.

The consumer just sees the number of points required - all the Carrier Charges are treated like an afterthought in the redemption process and just a part of award redemptions. Given that most people may have just snagged a unicorn business cabin award, very few will stop mid-booking to think of how much their points are actually worth, let alone alternative FF schemes.

I’m still keen for @AFF Editor to conduct a thorough comparison of various FF schemes (inc all the American based FF programs) to contrast the huge disparity of Carrier Charges between Qantas and much better alternatives.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back