Qantas Points Club Discussion

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

• How does the Qantas Club membership work for those who hold status? Specifically, if I'm a Platinum/Gold member who obviously cannot make use of the Qantas Club membership, does the membership pause whilst I hold status and then resume when I lose status (as is the case for paid memberships)?
-RooFlyer88

Might be a tricky question to answer, because you are specifically asking for the experiences of someone who is SG or higher (but not LTG), who does not have paid QP, who gets PCP, then eventually drops to PS after not retaining PCP. My guess is that type of person would be uncommon.

Would be interesting if someone in the above already had months of paid QP on pause, then ended up having an extra 12 months of QP added.

This link would suggest that nothing changes for a SG or higher, and you don't get the benefit if you are already QPPS/QPNB. Reality might be different, hence your question. Emphasis in bold:

"I've achieved Points Club Plus, when will I receive my Qantas Club membership?

As soon as you earn 350,000 Qantas Points from eligible transactions in your current Membership Year, your Qantas Club membership will be added to your digital Frequent Flyer card if you're a Bronze or Silver Frequent Flyer. Your Qantas Club membership will be valid for the duration of Points Club Plus membership.

All our digital membership cards are available in your Qantas App - simply click on the “MY QFF” menu option."

Couple questions about Points Club Plus as it appears I'll be earning enough points this year to qualify:
  • How does the 100 status credit roll over work? Specifically I've got 180 status credits in my account as Platinum so won't be re-qualifying as Platinum this year. But does that mean that 100 of those status credits will roll over to next year?
  • How does the Qantas Club membership work for those who hold status? Specifically, if I'm a Platinum/Gold member who obviously cannot make use of the Qantas Club membership, does the membership pause whilst I hold status and then resume when I lose status (as is the case for paid memberships)?
-RooFlyer88

Paid QP membership can be suspended for one year, or the duration of holding Points Club Plus. If membership is not automatically suspended, telephone QFF.

PC+ “gifted” QP membership cannot be suspended.

When PC+, you no longer receive the useful lounge passes. Quite a while back QF sent a questionnaire about what Gold or WP members would like instead of the useless QP membership. However, nothing has changed. We can’t even gift the membership.

This 100 SCs rollover into your new anniversary year, like it or not.

Couple questions about Points Club Plus as it appears I'll be earning enough points this year to qualify:
  • How does the 100 status credit roll over work? Specifically I've got 180 status credits in my account as Platinum so won't be re-qualifying as Platinum this year. But does that mean that 100 of those status credits will roll over to next year?
100 SC will appear in your new year. However do note this isn't new SC so it doesn't contribute to Lifetime totals or any loyalty bonus totals.
-RooFlyer88
I don't believe so. I take it you're considering not keeping QFF gold in the following year. QC isn't too useful outside of Australia with the exception of a few very specific ports and if you're domestically travelling, I'm sure you could find ways to maintain Gold.

Perhaps try to status match away while you're still plat/gold and maintain something else if you're moving away?

I don't believe so. I take it you're considering not keeping QFF gold in the following year. QC isn't too useful outside of Australia with the exception of a few very specific ports and if you're domestically travelling, I'm sure you could find ways to maintain Gold.

Perhaps try to status match away while you're still plat/gold and maintain something else if you're moving away?
My thinking is QF Gold will be useful when flying AA, BA, IB and AY. Yes I can status match elsewhere but I like to think long term here. Qantas has arguably the easiest to achieve lifetime status of any frequent flyer program with a relatively low threshold to OneWorld Sapphire (14,000 status credits) and the ability for flights flown on all carriers to count towards that tally. The holy grail I have (if there is such a thing) is earning mid tier lifetime status on all major alliances so that regardless of who I fly, I get the perks. The other thing that’s nice about QF is it’s fairly easy to earn and retain status notwithstanding the four squiggles requirement. On other airlines like United or Delta you have to fork out serious moolah on them just to be in the running for status. Whereas Qantas is loosely tied to miles flown and can be easily gamed in certain circumstances.

By the way I am doing status matches when I’m flying airlines I can take advantage of the match like LATAM Black to get some free upgrades to business on those long hauls. And I plan on doing a United status matches just before my Platinum status goes, but I still think Gold is retainable for next year.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back