SQ Tips, Trips and Tales

Got to use the spoon
Send a feedback letter to SQ. Cruiser will have details - the onions need to be purple and the cucumber needs to have green skin.
And the satay needs to have a bit more charcoal "char".
Also a true satay needs the compressed rice cubes accompaniment. AFAIK SQ and its cousin MH never have the rice cubes.

Made in Singapore, but not exactly hitting the mark in terms of presentation, though I must say the quality is excellent - especially the sauce

Wooden spoon to comply with the latest anti-plastic movement? 😜

Strange how the peanut allergy in South East Asia is remarkably low given the high exposure to peanuts - maybe half the rate of expat children

Screen Shot 2024-10-08 at 5.26.58 pm.png

Last edited:
Yes ALL satay are uploaded SIN - when I spoke to MEL Mgmt this morn they also suggested the shorter flt and turnaround time might the reason but how does that explain satays served on EU-SIN flts? I'll dig deeper 👍

Import frozen satays to their caterers in Europe? Obviously not allowed to do this in Australia, but the shorter turns to PERs are OK, because the satays don’t leave the aircraft?

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

And, what is it with serving dinner, SIX hours out from Frankfurt!!!
It's only 4 hours since a delicious 5 course lunch - I'm still on my post-prandial cognac and sweeping up the dregs of my port!!
And now they want to give me more food...

By the way. Any suggestions for a decent beer in Frankfurt??

And, what is it with serving dinner, SIX hours out from Frankfurt!!!
It's only 4 hours since a delicious 5 course lunch - I'm still on my post-prandial cognac and sweeping up the dregs of my port!!
And now they want to give me more food...

By the way. Any suggestions for a decent beer in Frankfurt??
Well sounds about as smart as serving a main (lunch food) on SQ248 at about 8 in the morning and then a full lunch at about 12....

Arriving into MEL yesterday on 237 no gates available so we had remote deplaning - it took ground staff 25mins to position the stairs to allow door opening - then ALL pax crammed onto 1 bus to transfer to terminal - by the time last couple wheelchair pax were assisted downstairs bus was bursting at seams - pax had to de-bus and clear seats to allow wheelchair pax onboard then bus to terminal.

Terminal was just a zoo inside - queues 20-30 deep waiting for immig ticket terminals - straight through gates once ticket in hand.

By this time luggage was on carousel together with another Chinese flight so carousel chockers but all luggage there due to delay deplaning /. immig etc. Then the lines trying exit - 100mts long - LUCKILY I still always carry an Express Path card from yesteryear which got me through in mins.

I called SQ MEL Station Mgmt this morn to make sure they had full story - they said they knew there was a short delay in stairs positioning but no idea it was 25mins - but they do now. MEL is currently so busy mid morn to midday lack of gate availability is common on most days for whichever carriers. SQ are not handing out Express Path Cards per se to pax but they have now asked SIN and other outstations to start printing EXPRESS @ MEL on bottom right of your BP - see below.

I don't blame SQ for the delays as is totally fault of MEL Mgmt - but still there seemed to be a distinct scarcity of SQ staffed advising / directing / assisting pax once on ground.

*TIP* - If you are still in possession of Express Path cards from the good ol' days then tuck one in your ticket wallet just in case.
BP.jpg

Arriving into MEL yesterday on 237 no gates available so we had remote deplaning - it took ground staff 25mins to position the stairs to allow door opening - then ALL pax crammed onto 1 bus to transfer to terminal - by the time last couple wheelchair pax were assisted downstairs bus was bursting at seams - pax had to de-bus and clear seats to allow wheelchair pax onboard then bus to terminal.

Terminal was just a zoo inside - queues 20-30 deep waiting for immig ticket terminals - straight through gates once ticket in hand.

By this time luggage was on carousel together with another Chinese flight so carousel chockers but all luggage there due to delay deplaning /. immig etc. Then the lines trying exit - 100mts long - LUCKILY I still always carry an Express Path card from yesteryear which got me through in mins.

I called SQ MEL Station Mgmt this morn to make sure they had full story - they said they knew there was a short delay in stairs positioning but no idea it was 25mins - but they do now. MEL is currently so busy mid morn to midday lack of gate availability is common on most days for whichever carriers. SQ are not handing out Express Path Cards per se to pax but they have now asked SIN and other outstations to start printing EXPRESS @ MEL on bottom right of your BP - see below.

I don't blame SQ for the delays as is totally fault of MEL Mgmt - but still there seemed to be a distinct scarcity of SQ staffed advising / directing / assisting pax once on ground.

*TIP* - If you are still in possession of Express Path cards from the good ol' days then tuck one in your ticket wallet just in case.
View attachment 410823
Thanks. I always carry a departure and arrival card with me. My last few arrivals have been so quick I have been tempted to ditch them. Looks like I will be keeping them for a while yet.

LUCKILY I still always carry an Express Path card from yesteryear which got me through in mins.
As do I.

Arriving from SIN last month (on a QF Boeing 789); 9:30am touchdown, crammed into bus at 10:35 - it took 55 minutes after seatbelt signs off before the stairs were attached properly and the doors open.

Immigration via smartgate was easy with no queues, but I needed the express pass as there were a couple of hundred PAX queued to each of the left and right for customs. Straight down the guts via e and out ...

As do I.

Arriving from SIN last month (on a QF Boeing 789); 9:30am touchdown, crammed into bus at 10:35 - it took 55 minutes after seatbelt signs off before the stairs were attached properly and the doors open.

Immigration via smartgate was easy with no queues, but I needed the express pass as there were a couple of hundred PAX queued to each of the left and right for customs. Straight down the guts via e and out ...
Weird I haven’t seen where this express exit is?? I assumed it had long gone.

Weird I haven’t seen where this express exit is?? I assumed it had long gone.
Melbourne - right in the centre after you have come down past the baggage carousels. There are queues on the left and on the right but in the middle is a lane for aircrew and express pass holders.

Melbourne - right in the centre after you have come down past the baggage carousels. There are queues on the left and on the right but in the middle is a lane for aircrew and express pass holders.
Thanks. Useful to know. Often I just reluctantly get in the enormous queue oblivious.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back