Strategy to obtain US Amex

I'm having an expected but nonetheless frustrating problem of not being approved by Amex AUS for a credit card. This will obviously make it hard to do a GT to a US card!

I am a Supp card holder for someone else's AUS Amex. On the phone, I was told to reapply in 90 days. Not sure how much stock to put into front line agents advice.

I am not a serial churned by any means but maybe if I just wait a few more months (180 days?) It might be better. Maybe if I apply for a lower tier card, just to get a relationship, it might work better. I also have a home loan with a small bank that doesn't show up on any credit report, which may or may not be contributing.

Anyone have any more DPs on getting Amex AUS approval? Or can you GT ad a supplementary card holder?
Post automatically merged:

I'm having an expected but nonetheless frustrating problem of not being approved by Amex AUS for a credit card. This will obviously make it hard to do a GT to a US card!

I am a Supp card holder for someone else's AUS Amex. On the phone, I was told to reapply in 90 days. Not sure how much stock to put into front line agents advice.

I am not a serial churned by any means but maybe if I just wait a few more months (180 days?) It might be better. Maybe if I apply for a lower tier card, just to get a relationship, it might work better. I also have a home loan with a small bank that doesn't show up on any credit report, which may or may not be contributing.

Anyone have any more DPs on getting Amex AUS approval? Or can you GT ad a supplementary card holder?
Last year. I tried for Amex Explorer and got denied - (I closed one in 2021 - checked with CS they said I could applied again but still got rejected) Desperately for relationship with Aus Amex hence after consideration I applied for Biz Amex Explorer after 1 week - Got instant Approval.

Good luck.

My P2 has tried to get one recently - she has amazing credit and no debts with great income - first time just got plain decline - have tried again - it seems way harder than it should be. - maybe Amex AU is tightening something that we are not aware of

So here was my journey to US Mainland. I was not supposed to be there but Hawaii - took 1 extra day to leave earlier than my family just to get to L.A. for this hobby CC. My family considered I am crazy. Anyway, I just had a full day 9AM-5PM to cover as many banks as I could. Did not make any appointment and I regretted. All the branches I came in was super busy. Some refused and asked to come back in a week with appointment. Some asked me to wait. So for 9AM - 5.15PM - I skipped lunch - just had a banana. I managed:

1. Chase - went into 2 branches - waited time over 1 hour - got 1 checking Account - The relationship manager of the branch didnot have more time for my CC application but willing to see me at 4.30 PM so I came back to see if I had any chance with Chase - may as well while I was at branch - Applied for Biz CC - Got rejected - reason too many inquiries and not enough Credit line - Oh well - I tried. I have just 6 month Credit history with 3 CC accounts.

2. Wells fargo - Went into 2 branches - 1 willing to see me after 15 min because someone did not turn up.

3. Citi branches to apply for Biz CC - super friendly staff - seeing me after 15 min wait. Filled in all details and said I would receive result in mail. If successful I would receive the card - if Not - just the letter. Should have opened a checking account with them for did not have time and was rushing to get to other banks.

I took passport, ITIN letter and 1 Bank statement for Address. Straight forward process. Some were asking if I have local address (my address is Las Vegas) I replied, still looking for a place to move - so No local/LA address. I stayed with all branches around Hawthorne/Inglewood area to save time moving and be local to LAX for my flights. Had a car helped as well - Paid $50 Australian for a day.

Finished my day - fly to Honolulu next morning to catch up with my family - they still considered I was crazy - After a few days, I applied for Amex Biz Gold and Amex Hilton Biz. Both got approved instantly one after another. Guess I have to stick with Amex Biz for a while now.

Hope this help someone.

So here was my journey to US Mainland. I was not supposed to be there but Hawaii - took 1 extra day to leave earlier than my family just to get to L.A. for this hobby CC. My family considered I am crazy. Anyway, I just had a full day 9AM-5PM to cover as many banks as I could. Did not make any appointment and I regretted. All the branches I came in was super busy. Some refused and asked to come back in a week with appointment. Some asked me to wait. So for 9AM - 5.15PM - I skipped lunch - just had a banana. I managed:

1. Chase - went into 2 branches - waited time over 1 hour - got 1 checking Account - The relationship manager of the branch didnot have more time for my CC application but willing to see me at 4.30 PM so I came back to see if I had any chance with Chase - may as well while I was at branch - Applied for Biz CC - Got rejected - reason too many inquiries and not enough Credit line - Oh well - I tried. I have just 6 month Credit history with 3 CC accounts.

2. Wells fargo - Went into 2 branches - 1 willing to see me after 15 min because someone did not turn up.

3. Citi branches to apply for Biz CC - super friendly staff - seeing me after 15 min wait. Filled in all details and said I would receive result in mail. If successful I would receive the card - if Not - just the letter. Should have opened a checking account with them for did not have time and was rushing to get to other banks.

I took passport, ITIN letter and 1 Bank statement for Address. Straight forward process. Some were asking if I have local address (my address is Las Vegas) I replied, still looking for a place to move - so No local/LA address. I stayed with all branches around Hawthorne/Inglewood area to save time moving and be local to LAX for my flights. Had a car helped as well - Paid $50 Australian for a day.

Finished my day - fly to Honolulu next morning to catch up with my family - they still considered I was crazy - After a few days, I applied for Amex Biz Gold and Amex Hilton Biz. Both got approved instantly one after another. Guess I have to stick with Amex Biz for a while now.

Hope this help someone.

The issue was that 6 month credit history. Once you hit one year, you should be fine. Citi might reject for the same reason but good luck. I once did a status run on AA. I left a big group of friends in NY at 4am, flew like 6 flights and returned almost midnight lol They all said I was crazy. Your family will really appreciate it in the future.

Hi everyone!

I am having a couple of issues and trying to find out if anyone has experienced anything similar to this.

1. I seem to be unable to get a postpaid plan.

AT&T requires me to go to one of their stores, and the same applies for T-Mo as they cannot verify my identity online.

I have previously had an account with Verizon, which I had to close because they somehow used my passport number as the SSN instead of my ITIN(maybe related to the next issue?). Now, I have been trying to get a plan using the right information and confirming that they are indeed using the ITIN as my SSN. All was good with the documents and such, but I had to go through the fraud department where they could not verify my identity, despite providing them with my US Visa and CP565 notice. They were also asking for proof of address, but a bank statement would not work, as they required a utility bill. They could not provide further details. I was not trying to buy a phone or anything like that - just get a postpaid plan with BYOD. I am thinking of giving it one more go tomorrow and explaining everything thoroughly, and that would be my last shot with VZW until I get to the US and take a trip to one of their corporate stores.

Maybe this has to do with the next issue.

2. I think my credit reports/info are completely screwed, leading to issues in verifying my identity...

Before getting my ITIN, Amex has reported my passport number as my SSN to the credit bureaus. I managed to fix this with TU (they removed the SSN and used xx_xx0000 as the SSN as they could use an ITIN) and Equifax (I think, but not entirely sure as I am only able to see my C1 CC there and none of my Amex cards). With Experian, it was impossible as they could not remove the wrong SSN (once again, my passport number) and have asked me to contact Amex, which I did. So I have no idea what is on my credit file with Experian, as I was unable to get any more information.

However, they (Amex) are telling me they cannot report my CC's to the credit bureaus with an ITIN, so they will keep using the passport number (which is literally wrong, and the agent I spoke to did not really seem to care and was basically like yeah, it is what is). I cannot understand how they can just go on with reporting wrong information?? They mentioned that if I had Business CCs, then it would be fine, but it cannot be done for Personal CCs?

I did ask them to "register" my ITIN as soon as I got it, though, updated it on my profile as well, and even applied for a new card with my ITIN afterward and got it approved (had to submit ID and the CP565 letter).

Any ideas on what I could possibly do here? Did Amex report your passport number as the SSN for anybody here?

A couple of updates in regards to my previous posts:

I am pretty sure Amex managed to update the SSN (my passport number...) to my ITIN, as I had chatted with them once again and explained the issue, but we shall see. Yet, I still find it baffling that they just used my passport number as my SSN... Like somebody else mentioned here, might as well start using your passport number as your SSN if it matches the format (just kidding, do not do that!).

My Equifax and TU credit reports seem to be fine now. Just need to wait and see if my Amex accounts will pop up on my Equifax credit report in the upcoming months. Took around 2 months for my C1 to show up there.

Additionally, managed to get postpaid with T-Mo (they use TU). Had to call in for a manual review, but they were able to identify me successfully, and got everything up and running in around 30 minutes. Now comes another question: does anybody else here have postpaid with T-Mo? If so, how do you deal with their roaming policy? I do not plan on using any substantial amount of data (only to login to Experian and a few other websites where NordVPN does not work a few times a month - e.g. If trying to login to Equifax while using NordVPN, it does not work, whereas if I am using data from the US line, there are no issues). Do you keep the SIM turned off in settings? Do you have it on and connected to your local network and just use Wi-Fi calling?

Hope this help someone.
The issue was that 6 month credit history. Once you hit one year, you should be fine. Citi might reject for the same reason but good luck. I once did a status run on AA. I left a big group of friends in NY at 4am, flew like 6 flights and returned almost midnight lol They all said I was crazy. Your family will really appreciate it in the future.
For us, the main American tourist attractions are Chase, BofA etc 😂
Doing a status run with AA must be torturous and not enjoyable too 😅

Some years ago (2016) I did a status run on AA. It was fun.

I just checked my Amex plat referral link and the it says friends could receive "as high as" 175,000 points. Then the application says if approved, you will find out how many points you get and can also reject the card/offer. This is weird and hope it won't be a new standard.

For us, the main American tourist attractions are Chase, BofA etc 😂

You could make it enjoyable. I did San Juan on one trip and spent a few nights there. Back then you could become QFF gold for less than $1000AUD. I gave up after getting into the credit card game though. No longer need a status when flying J/F.

I just checked my Amex plat referral link and the it says friends could receive "as high as" 175,000 points. Then the application says if approved, you will find out how many points you get and can also reject the card/offer. This is weird and hope it won't be a new standard.
Yes, Amex have been experimenting with this feature for a little while. I wouldn't worry — there's many avenues to get an application link with a clearly stated SUB.

The Amex gravy train continues to roll on. New round of links for the Biz Plat with 300K SUB.

Yes, Amex have been experimenting with this feature for a little while. I wouldn't worry — there's many avenues to get an application link with a clearly stated SUB.

The Amex gravy train continues to roll on. New round of links for the Biz Plat with 300K SUB.

I only just noticed this as Amex wouldn't do ref for all my charge cards for like half a year. I guess it isn't a big loss since I haven't been able to refer P2,3,4 for quite some time (2 years?) due to much better offers on other links.

I only just noticed this as Amex wouldn't do ref for all my charge cards for like half a year. I guess it isn't a big loss since I haven't been able to refer P2,3,4 for quite some time (2 years?) due to much better offers on other links.
If you are desperate for a referral, 'lose your card' and get a replacement ordered. Referrals will temporarily reappear.

3 months is probably the safest option. You could try sooner (eg 1 month), but if you get a 4506c for that application, it sets you back another month. From what I've read, it isn't a permanent flag on your account — you can still get a new card without the form, but you do need to wait some period of time for the 4506c flag to be removed. Applying for another card now will get the same request.
I just applied for an Amex DL Card using my new ITIN (had for about 2 months) and was also hit with a 4506c request. I already hold an Amex Green and Aspire Cards obtained through GT in 2021 and 2022 respectively.

From levelnine's response above, I might just need to wait it out before applying again. But do I need to contact Amex and cancel my current application, or can I just leave it sitting there without it affecting future applications?

Also, was a 4506c request likely a result of trying to use my ITIN too soon (ie after 2 months) and Amex not being able to see my longer credit history with them as they couldn't locate my credit file using my ITIN. Or is just a random luck of the draw on whether you will be requested for a 4506c form.

I know I could just try my luck with a 3rd GT attempt, but wanted to apply using an ITIN to get my number into Amex's system.

Last edited:
But do I need to contact Amex and cancel my current application, or can I just leave it sitting there without it affecting future applications?
You can just let it expire.

4506C seem to be triggered by (a) high balances at the time of application, (b) discrepancies in reported income from application to application, (c) concerns about identity (ie it's an alternative way to check ID), (d) luck of the draw.

Eg I got a 4506C on a Biz Gold a few weeks ago. Paid down my balances and was approved for both a Biz Plat and Biz Gold three days ago.

You can just let it expire.

4506C seem to be triggered by (a) high balances at the time of application, (b) discrepancies in reported income from application to application, (c) concerns about identity (ie it's an alternative way to check ID), (d) luck of the draw.

Eg I got a 4506C on a Biz Gold a few weeks ago. Paid down my balances and was approved for both a Biz Plat and Biz Gold three days ago.
Thanks levelnine.

I'm looking to get Chase and C1 cards next and wondering if I need to bother getting my ITIN added with Amex at all. Has anyone got Amex cards exclusively through GT, then obtained an ITIN, and then applied for Chase or C1 cards with that ITIN and been approved?

I thought that we needed to get a new Amex card with an ITIN to then add the ITIN to credit profile so that when Chase looks it, it is linked to credit file - that's my understanding
Some have shown a way of uploading document to Amex - not sure if them adding it to the file then gets reported to credit agencies as well and saves you opening a new card (if close to 5/24)

Thanks levelnine.

I'm looking to get Chase and C1 cards next and wondering if I need to bother getting my ITIN added with Amex at all. Has anyone got Amex cards exclusively through GT, then obtained an ITIN, and then applied for Chase or C1 cards with that ITIN and been approved?
I had two Amex cards through GT and then applied for Amex Green after receiving ITIN. I waited over a year after that before applying for my first Chase Card. I think others have been successful applying for Chase much sooner than that though.

I noticed on my Transunion credit report under Special Messages heading that my previous MyUS Sarasota address is described as Restaurant/Bar/Nightclub and as Commercial. Interesting that Chase pulled from Transunion and still approved my two personal cards but also explains why C1 typically rejects applications made from MyUS addresses.

go to account services, down the bottom upload files

not sure if this link works for everyone

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 9.21.29 am.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 9.21.29 am.png
    326.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 9.21.39 am.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 9.21.39 am.png
    294.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 9.24.20 am.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 9.24.20 am.png
    155 KB · Views: 10

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back