Strategy to obtain US Amex

Hi everyone,

A little off topic but a bit unsure what avenue to go down. I have 2 US Amex's, 1 set up through GT and the other applied through ITIN over a year ago.

I am still not seeing a FICO score even after 1 year. I have a couple of credit cards but still no score. What could be causing this issue? I've even tried a couple of other reporting agencies, but they can't access it either.

It is frustrating as I did have a FICO score prior to having the ITIN, but now it just comes up with
We encountered an error while retrieving your credit score.
It may be due to insufficient information on your report.

Any suggestions would be great.
Im in a similar boat - i am sure you have a score but accessing that score is not easy with ITIN

I was waiting for 13 months for my score to show but Amex stopped showing about 3-4 months ago (only SSN can see) but when I applied for a recent Platinum I saw a score of 684 as part of welcome pack

My understanding based on my experience is this: non-resident aliens without a SSN end up outside the FICO etc system, even if they have an ITIN. You can still obtain a credit report by using the manual form and sending it to the rating agency.

My own experience was I had FICO and TransUnion scores through my Bank of America and Amex Platinum card accounts for about the first two years I had those accounts, but then those scores disappeared out of the blue. I called the agencies and was told - in no uncertain terms - that without a SSN I could not have those scores. I mentioned my ITIN and they said they did not attach ratings to ITINs.

This is not the experience of others though - it seems there is some inconsistency about how all this works.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Currently Active Users

Back