Strategy to obtain US Amex

Anyway. You said NY, is there any particular reason? Can we do at any state? Do you know the requirements?
I would guess that NY City in particular

I was more referring to a city or a town outside of New York City (a few hours out of NYC) - driving in NYC seems terrifying. However, if you can handle that traffic... I guess it should be okay?

Some places (I know AMEX does) will ask to match you with public records; however, once you have that kind of State ID, postpaid plans and even credit cards become easier to get.

@georgie29 you could technically chance it by having your address be that mailbox but up to you (std disclaimer, am not financial advisor and take at your own risk of course!)

I was more referring to a city or a town outside of New York City (a few hours out of NYC) - driving in NYC seems terrifying. However, if you can handle that traffic... I guess it should be okay?

Some places (I know AMEX does) will ask to match you with public records; however, once you have that kind of State ID, postpaid plans and even credit cards become easier to get.

@georgie29 you could technically chance it by having your address be that mailbox but up to you (std disclaimer, am not financial advisor and take at your own risk of course!)
Thanks - I wish I had spoken to my friend earlier before going down the California route - live and learn - I completely forgot he has a place in NY

I think for simplicity and long term ease I will get a NY mailbox address and have the apartment as physical and mailbox as postage - it will be easier in my mind to remember both are in one state and if the issue ever arose would be very easy to explain away the separation.

Only Amex has the new address at this stage - I think I will follow @DC3 advice and patience - will set up new mailbox in NY and move addresses in a few months as I just changed over to California address from Sarasota 3 weeks ago - don't want to trigger too many address changes and get asked for a please explain, or even worse - proof

I was looking and can get a state ID as a non driver - looks like should be doable to get - may be a bit quicker and avoid having to book in for a DL test

Have to keep reminding myself this is a long game

Last edited:
As my 2nd chase card application is stuck (everytime I call was told to go to branch), rep suggested that I could lodge a new application. This means chase would have 2 application for the same card, I wonder if anyone has done this before and would this work? thank you.

I was looking and can get a state ID as a non driver - looks like should be doable to get - may be a bit quicker and avoid having to book in for a DL test

Have to keep reminding myself this is a long game
Unless you have an SSN, you'll be stumped by the first part of NY State ID, which asks for one or proof that you can't get one (unless you can also get an NSS-1A done earlier).

As my 2nd chase card application is stuck (everytime I call was told to go to branch), rep suggested that I could lodge a new application. This means chase would have 2 application for the same card, I wonder if anyone has done this before and would this work? thank you.
U will have to wait for atleast 30days from when u applied for the application to drop off

I am no professional, but here are my thoughts:
1. The staus quo has been once every 3 months. HOWEVER, there have emerged a number of reddit threads for people being SD with chase with thin credit and applying too many biz cards. Some where holding large balances too.
2. You need to hold you CSP in order to move chase biz points over to transfer partners otherwise they can only be converted into cash (not hyatt or airlines)
3. I would look at downgrading to no AF if possible. If you need to move credit limit down the track with chase/amex to get a new card approved then that is easy.
4. For biz credit cards, I would look at this post: Best Current Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses & Offers For October, 2024 - Doctor Of Credit

Just one more item, remember some biz cards go into 5/24 so be aware (like C1 biz cards). I think there are a number of good bonuses out there for personal cards before I would go to those personal cards, but it is personal preference
Correction on Point 2. You need to hold CSP/CSR/Ink Preferred to move points over to transfer partners.

Damn - no dont have a SSN - I am assuming by your questions then that to get a DL this is not a question on that application?
You can still get a New York Non-Driving License - which now includes Real ID, which is the new layer of identification for domestic airports; you just have to meet the points.

As I said, you need Form NSS-1A, found on their website, to declare you've never had an SSN (maybe take your ITIN if you'd like, but I doubt the DMV there cares), along with other documents required to fill the form. Note, all these 'IDs' are done by NY State's DMV, so if you can drive, you might as well kill two birds with one stone and go for the Driver's License instead. The link is here: Non-Driver ID Cards | NY DMV (note, all US states' fed gov sanctioned/approved website ends with a .gov)

This will hopefully 'tie' you into the system such that whether its AMEX, Chase, C1, etc, you can quote the NY ID instead of those weird questions from the public record. I know that AMEX US has started implementing another layer of security on their end, which may require proof of ID -- which the Aus Passport/DLs will not work. Unsure how this will affect Global Transfers, ITIN second card application, etc.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back