The totally off-topic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
VERY LUCKY. But it does raise the fundamental question: does someone who doesn't back up their data deserve to be awarded a PhD :confused::shock:. I mean, it's PhD for Dummies V.1(beta) :rolleyes:.

I had back-ups, just not one from that week. And genetics can produce a of data very quickly. The drive was fine, the computer had just forgotten how to boot itself. Not a difficult fix.

VERY LUCKY. But it does raise the fundamental question: does someone who doesn't back up their data deserve to be awarded a PhD :confused::shock:. I mean, it's PhD for Dummies V.1(beta) :rolleyes:.

Of course he was a "Scientist" so new everything about IT (until this happened)! I can't remember a "redder" face in all my years in IT.

But as I was not an examiner, so I didn't get any input to whether he deserved his Piled Higher & Deeper* degree.

[*This was an old joke from the soil scientist who headed up the joint, saying he had a degree in BS (as in Bull cough), MBS (more BS) and PHD (as above).]

Thanks straitman, I revisited after not noticing the price was in FJD. Overall saving for 2 PAX (peak school holiday period so didn't expect much else) by doing 1 way from AKL-NAN, then 1 way from NAN-AKL was $85 AUD. Small saving, but a saving none-the-less :)

As long as they can get away with it, I suppose :o That's applicable not just for PhDs, but everywhere. It's like saying you can't afford to travel if you do so without travel insurance, really (OK the risk levels are not quite the same, nor are the mechanics, but it's sort of there).

I had mine backed up to either the servers at university, on my USB stick (reasonable price by then), on my laptop, on an external hard drive or saved as a draft's attachment in email. Basically, it didn't matter where it was saved, as long as it was more than two places.

Some PhDs have more things to think about (or cry about) when it goes south. I remember the 2011 floods in Brisbane. It inundated the greenhouses at our university. Lots of students in our institute were crushed as several of their experiments were destroyed. Luckily all of them were given compassionate extensions of their candidatures as well as their stipends.

I had back-ups, just not one from that week. And genetics can produce a of data very quickly. The drive was fine, the computer had just forgotten how to boot itself. Not a difficult fix.

That kind of stuff can give you a bit of a scare, though, especially if fixing it means going through a backdoor to salvage the data. Though the reality is that unless push came to shove, even if one had a backup of everything, normally the system which isn't kicking up with your work on it is the one which you use to work with. So even if you can be content that the data is safe, you're not exactly going to be back to full productivity until you solve the problem anyway.

Of course he was a "Scientist" so knew everything about IT (until this happened)! I can't remember a "redder" face in all my years in IT.

But as I was not an examiner, so I didn't get any input to whether he deserved his Piled Higher & Deeper* degree.

[*This was an old joke from the soil scientist who headed up the joint, saying he had a degree in BS (as in Bull cough), MBS (more BS) and PHD (as above).]

Piled Higher and Deeper is also the name of a comic strip dedicated to the life of a PhD student (and others in the institution): PHD Comics: Your Thesis Length There's also a movie (and another one!) based on the comic strip.

Really amusing, even if the whole thing has a US centric view of it.

I preferred to use the term "Permanent Head Damage" myself.

They can't be bothered by mundane day to day tasks when philosophising.

I lost my Master's write up when the laptop was stolen, by a housemate as it turns out. Was pretty annoyed but thankfully the rewritten version was superior. Nothing like pressure. Still have that laptop at home, Victorian cops called me 4 years (and 3 jobs) later to tell me they'd found it at cash converters.

Actually gotta say they were wonderful. not sure about naming names. But I flew SYD to MEL on an award for the day, cops picked me up from the airport, drove me to cash converters to ID the laptop, then to get a court order, back to cashies and then back to the airport. 3 hours at least of their time. They were disappointed that I didn't sell the laptop back to cashies for the same money they'd already paid out.

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel I back up so much I get constipated. :eek: :p. But touch wood have never lost a file.

Of course he was a "Scientist" so new everything about IT (until this happened)! I can't remember a "redder" face in all my years in IT.

You know the old adage 'You can tell a scientist by how they pronounce unionised.'

Well that isn't the best result. Game 3 will be a cracker, closer game than the score suggests held at the MCG.
NSW 26 -Qld 18

My backups are all automated (and multi site). Don't have to worry about it. Get a report that tells me if any issues. Does an auto recovery each backup too.

Takes me back to my University days - can't recall how many times I'd go into a lab and find a USB thumb drive sitting in a machine. 128mb or so back then from what I remember, HUGE! Nonetheless a lot of people I remember used to lose data through either a) losing the thumb drive or b) thumb drive failure. Yes, the thumb drive was the only backup they'd ever have ;)

You know the old adage 'You can tell a scientist by how they pronounce unionised.'

It took a few moments ;). I mustn't be the scientist that I thought I was - but now I'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing :shock::rolleyes::mrgreen:.

What I do know, though, is that a hundred or so peer-reviewed papers counts for a lot... - in a very small universe ;).

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Am very surprised this hasn't already been posted:

Australia's athletics legend Ron Clarke dies

Legendary runner Ron Clarke, the man who lit the flame for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, has died. He was 78.

The Olympian who broke 17 middle distance world records died early on Wednesday in hospital on the Gold Coast

Clarke was most famous not for a race he won but for one that represented the essence of sportsmanship when as a promising teenager he fell during the 1500m at the 1956 Australian national championships prior to the Olympics. John Landy stopped and double-backed to help him.

My backups are all automated (and multi site). Don't have to worry about it. Get a report that tells me if any issues. Does an auto recovery each backup too.

Takes me back to my University days - can't recall how many times I'd go into a lab and find a USB thumb drive sitting in a machine. 128mb or so back then from what I remember, HUGE! Nonetheless a lot of people I remember used to lose data through either a) losing the thumb drive or b) thumb drive failure. Yes, the thumb drive was the only backup they'd ever have ;)
My thumb drive failed when I swung around in my seat and hit the drive protruding from the computer tower (on the floor) and smashed it bits....

Well I borrowed MrP's iphone charger at work yesterday and removed it. Well, except for the usb metal connection thinggy that got stuck in my shiny new laptop. Finally extracted it with tweezers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back