The totally off-topic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone else here that, upon starting up a new laptop and going through the setup blah-blah, immediately goes to (installed) Programs to start uninstalling bloatware?

Oh yeah, and also Folder Properties, Show All File Extensions and uncheck Hide System Files and Folders

Yes, shut up Mac users ;)
Hmm, I was about to reply, but then I see you asked me not to. :mrgreen:

I use a program called decrap to get rid of bloatware.

Just installed it to have a look... five minutes later I've uninstalled it.

That program is de c*ap...it suggested uninstalling all of my programs which are not Windows, deleting everything off my desktop and also suggested removing several known shared libraries or DLLs which actually were situated in folders which were obvious non-bloatware.

I suppose you would use it with a computer fresh out of the restore, but if this is the indiscriminate approach it takes to remove bloat, then at best it doesn't do much better than what you can achieve without the tool, and at worst it is destructive.

I can't believe this program got a write up in LifeHacker. I will admit that I did not view the Youtube video accompanying it, and the LifeHacker article is 2 years old now, but at best there is no way I would be letting this program take full control!

I have been wondering if the person who stole my IPad is enjoying it. I had to get the unit scrubbed of everything when it was not returned.

[mod hat]
Some posts that were borderline 'on topic' politically have been deleted.

Please keep your post 'off topic' in this thread ...
[/mod hat]

Now I am going to blame you two for the bad 70's song going around in my head all day :evil:
But is it better than a ring, ring in your ears that just goes on and on and on. That could take real money, money, money to get rid of. Just be a super trouper and move on.

So long.

200 years since the battle of Waterloo.

When the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar was celebrated 10 years ago, the French participated at various events in England. A BBC (IIRC) interviewer asked one of the French admirals attending, that he thought it was a bit surprising that the French were celebrating the Battle of Trafalgar.

French admiral's reply: "Mais non, we are celebrating the death of Nelson!"

The interviewer assumed it was said in jest and took it as such :cool:

Edit: I bought the DVD a month ago in preparation of the Waterloo anniversary. Great film with Rod Steiger as Napoleon and Christopher Plummer as Wellington. Orson Wells as King Louis XVIII was a bit of a send up.

When the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar was celebrated 10 years ago, the French participated at various events in England. A BBC (IIRC) interviewer asked one of the French admirals attending, that he thought it was a bit surprising that the French were celebrating the Battle of Trafalgar.

French admiral's reply: "Mais non, we are celebrating the death of Nelson!"

The interviewer assumed it was said in jest and took it as such :cool:

Edit: I bought the DVD a month ago in preparation of the Waterloo anniversary. Great film with Rod Steiger as Napoleon and Christopher Plummer as Wellington. Orson Wells as King Louis XVIII was a bit of a send up.

I only know because the landmark trust has emailed me a fair bit about adding the farm to their list properties.

Busy calendar for the Brits. IIRC the 200th for the Gurkhas was earlier this month.

Saw a few signs around London last month advertising the Waterloo event.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back