The view from my "office"

Who ever said AFF isn't a caring community.

The main pool was a struggle by ourselves but eventually another couple turned up. We retreated back to the villa pool. The struggle is real.

View attachment 413254
Proof positive that not all heroes wear capes....

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

Malacca - my wife in front of her Great Great Great --- Grandfather's house. It is on Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock (formerly Herren St aka "millionaires row". It was built around 1799 using bricks bought from Holland as ballast on the trading ships. He was a German working for the D.E.I. Coy.

View attachment 413237

Small frontage but very deep. Like this plan of a house around the corner.

View attachment 413238

And then to Christ Church where there is a memorial to her Great Great Great Grandfather

View attachment 413239

View attachment 413240

Wow, that is so special, were you tempted to knock on the door?

Just out of curiosity, do you know if he was religious and what his religion was?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Wow, that is so special, were you tempted to knock on the door?

Just out of curiosity, do you know if he was religious and what his religion was?
It was all sealed tight. We have been inside the house in 2003 during a family reunion and it was lovely.These days it is a 'memorial house' to the person who the street is now named after - Tun Tan Cheng Lock. He was a major force in the Malaysian independence movement. The house has been in that families hands since 1879.

He was probably a Lutheran - there are memorial plaques in the Ulm Minster for the family. In Malacca he married the daughter of what must have been the last Dutch governor so probably became Dutch Reformed. He died in 1815. Christ Church Malacca became re- consecrated as Anglican in 1838 and that is when I assume his descendants became Anglicans.

This article gives a good description of the house.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back