The Virgin Australia Newbie Questions Thread

A few thoughts on the first virgin flights in a while.

- The inbound plane on my first flight hadn't arrived by the time it was due to board. Therefore missed the connection, and so I was able to bump on to the next Melbourne to Sydney flight, which was extremely busy (suspect due to other cancellations and delays) so altogether more stressful than it needed to be.

- Though I had pre decided not to buy any of the pay for purchase food, the smell of pastry being reheated certainly had me reconsidering, especially seated quite close to the back galley.

- it was curious how many people did purchase something though, I feel like there was at least one purchase per row, and by the time they got to the back many options were unavailable. So it is likely bearing fruit for VA 2.0, together with the heavy loads.

- I don't know if it's got something to do with the speed of the in-flight service, but I felt like there was a queue for the bathrooms for a good portion of the flight. That's probably an exaggeration, but that feeling of someone being very present next to you/ looking over you is not great fun for any extended period of time.

- The flight back was less busy and less eventful, managed to snag 10C when check in opened. However 5 hours is a long time to go with no sustenance except a cup of tea.

I did enquire whether I could get a status match back to VA gold from Qantas Platinum, with a reply only coming through after my outbound flights complete. I was told I wasn't eligible for due to having VA status in the past. I found it curious that this was excluded, as I had demonstrated quite substantial flying over the last couple of years and would have thought the possibility of directing this more towards VA in the future could be appealing.

One would think that someone who has quite a heavy flight record with a competitor and willingness to change across would be a good target, regardless of previous status. Or perhaps the past loyalty would make them even a stronger candidate to try to win back. Altogether a strange rule in my opinion.

You can call and ask.
Or buy entry at $65 per person.
If you have enough points, upgrade to J.
Maybe bit late for an upgrade, no harm in trying.
Or jyst buy entry.

Hi everyone -newbie question 😊. I don't usually fly virgin but it's a last minute work trip and on Syd to Mel flight. The Question may have been asked before, so if it has please direct me to the right response. Seat map shows row 15 as exit row when selecting seats on virgin app but I don't think virgin has row 15 as exit row on other websites? Everyone says its 13 and 14?
Thanks in advance.

1000039726.jpg

I had a similar situation that I was going to write up in “Made a travel mistake” thread. I knew I would hard land to Red a week or so ago but bought some flights in the TSC that would get me back to SG.

Technically for status, it wouldn’t have mattered if I flew while still Silver (pre review date) or post. What I had forgotten / not realised is the “grace period” Is only 2 wks now - it used to be 1 mth(?):

So
1. I also lost 2x lounge passes but recovered because the first to flights were in J, so lounge gratis,
2. Attained Silver after those first 2x flights and 2x passes back
3. Next two flights were in whY but a successful Bid Now meant only needed 1x lounge pass.

The thing I totally forgot about was the lost opportunity to earn bonus points by status….
Grace period?
So, if my silver ended only a few days ago, cam I get into the lounge at ool today (VA738)? Dep 1255

It is sad that it had happened to you but why was your status back to red ? Were you silver from last year and since you did not meet the criteria to maintain your silver status by your review date , because of which you are now red ?

Sharing these details will help others understand the issue and share any suggestions/work arounds.

On a different note why do you want to pay to get into Virgin lounge as honestly it's not worth the money if you have to pay for that. YMMV

Even though you have taken the image of your silver card , when you scan your boarding pass/membership status at the kiosk , I am assuming it will recognize you are not a silver member and might not let you in.
I was Gold 2 years ago due to QF status match, then back to Silver bc I didn't qualify, now red bc I didn't qualify.

Grace period?
So, if my silver ended only a few days ago, can I get into the lounge at ool today (VA738)? Dep 1255
Your “Review date” is key for counting up SCs for “retaining” status but you have a ~2 wk “grace period” after the review date before your status actually drops if you didn’t meet the “retain” criteria. ie Silver Lounge passes should still be accessible for PS members, and general Lounge access for SG.

Also, the partner status match things will drop out after that grace period if not already claimed.

Your “Review date” is key for counting up SCs for “retaining” status but you have a ~2 wk “grace period” after the review date before your status actually drops if you didn’t meet the “retain” criteria. ie Silver Lounge passes should still be accessible for PS members, and general Lounge access for SG.

Also, the partner status match things will drop out after that grace period if not already claimed.
Thanks.

Just walked into the VA lounge at OOL, had my phone out with my silver card screenshotted, was asked for boarding pass, robot told me that I had no passes remaining because I was now RED.

When I booked these flights a week or so ago, I was silver. I was silver on Friday, (which was the day before I flew MEL-OOL), and had been knocked back to red.

I pretended to be naive about the whole thing, then politely lobbied her that it was a little harsh - (lounge empty).

No courtesy, move along. Get out pleb ;)

I told her that it was all a little cruel, but she didn't care. Could have bought my way in for $65. No thanks.

End of story.

Just dropped to NR few days ago too.
Had 1 pass left.
So this means its gone too in my case.
So be it.
ZL fares are now cheap on their 737s.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Just walked into the VA lounge at OOL, had my phone out with my silver card screenshotted, was asked for boarding pass, robot told me that I had no passes remaining because I was now RED.

When I booked these flights a week or so ago, I was silver. I was silver on Friday, (which was the day before I flew MEL-OOL), and had been knocked back to red.

I pretended to be naive about the whole thing, then politely lobbied her that it was a little harsh - (lounge empty).

I told her that it was all a little cruel, but she didn't care. Could have bought my way in for $65. No thanks.

End of story.

Following up on yesterday's return leg on VA.
Booked during DSC promo, but noticed that in order to move from red to silver, I require 200 SC and 1 flight by 27 FEB 2025. That's only 7 months....I thought your status period was a year?

What gives?

This is rubbish!

Thanks.

End of story.

It doesn't count the status at time of booking but what counts is the status at the time of flying. If your review date was before the day of your flight , it sounds about right however I am not entirely sure of your case here.

Also irrespective of the DSC offer , we need to have the required number of credits to move to a higher level on your review date. If you get the required number of credits well before the review date , I believe system will update the status automatically. YMMV

I read somewhere you can only enter the lounge 2 hours prior to flight departure.

Is this correct? I can't find where I read that now.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Have done longer.
But I guess the LD have the final say.
If you have PS you still have to present BP and the LD will press a few buttons and let you in.
J class pax and annual The Lounge members can scan their BP or membership card to enter.
Have spent 4.5 hrs in the MEL VAd lounge.

I read somewhere you can only enter the lounge 2 hours prior to flight departure.

Is this correct? I can't find where I read that now.
I recall a 2 hour rule for Silver lounge passes and single entry passes, although I can't find any information online about that. If you're Gold and Platinum you should have no problem arriving much earlier than that.

I've definitely seen people trying to use their Silver passes turned away from the lounge and told to come back at 2 hours prior. Although, that happened at the Gold Coast lounge so I suspect that was more to do with the fact the lounge is small and was already at capacity.

I recall a 2 hour rule for Silver lounge passes and single entry passes, although I can't find any information online about that. If you're Gold and Platinum you should have no problem arriving much earlier than that.

I've definitely seen people trying to use their Silver passes turned away from the lounge and told to come back at 2 hours prior. Although, that happened at the Gold Coast lounge so I suspect that was more to do with the fact the lounge is small and was already at capacity.
I have placed a bid for a upgrade but will probably get there early and buy a pass if that fails.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back