Virgin Australia Business Class - Meals, Menus & Service

VA J SYD/ADL vv earlier this week. Priority boarding worked well, sparkling wine for PDB. Very nice meals both sectors, cajun chicken with dirty rice, then chicken tagine. Nice wines. Rope divider enforced at all times. Return sector VA437 on 23 Mar 1805hrs departure from ADL, the CM Shane provided stellar service. Great lounges as well (SYD as usual a bit busy and noisy, ADL lounge is excellent).

Well done VA!

CNS-BNE scheduled for 1.20pm but a bit late.

I ordered the crumbed chicken breast with the curry sauce and rice. Quite good. It came with cheese and crackers.

Was offered a packet of cranberry-choc nut mix which I did like.

Frequent drink runs sealed the deal.

Service excellent. Helpful, friendly and very efficient.

Add to that the inflight entertainment with Classic Albums: Nirvana Nevermind. So good. A very enjoyable flight. Another flight in a couple of hours.

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 4.34.46 pm.png

HOB- ADL (Cheese/pumpkin style pasta) and SYD-HOB (Thai Cauliflower style salad) and lovely Shiraz and Pinot Noir with top ups , even little snack packs offered post meal with great friendly service.

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_170524754~2.jpg
    IMG_20220320_170524754~2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220323_133201960.jpg
    IMG_20220323_133201960.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 29
Here is the pasta presented on a 3 hour scheduled service (note the extra item - dessert)
IMG_20220317_155327_compress82_resize_74.jpg
Orders taken (after take-off) from back right (2F) in an anti-clockwise circle around the cabin around through to back left (2A). Meals delivered in zig-zag pattern from 1A across row 1, then 2A across row 2.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Personally, I hope they retire the Cajun / katsu chicken sandwich soon.

It’s been a little underwhelming and in far higher rotation than it should be…. and the last flight they said it was Cajun, it was clearly katsu and the FA said when I asked ‘oops sorry they are pretty much the same anyway right’.

Ok. Well they had a point.

99E5BEC1-CC4C-4FBD-9920-8381E4ABC5E9.jpeg

MELOOL this morning

Flight departed from Gate 13 in T4. They had a few flights leaving from the aerobridge gates in T4 this morning, not sure Rex would be too happy about that. The security screening lane from T3 into T4 had virtually no queue so it was a quick process, much better than the main screening point in T3. Priority boarding was strictly enforced. Slight delay in pushback due to tarmac congestion, seems to be common at MEL these days.

Meal was a choice between cheesy scrambled eggs with ham on a toasted bun or a leak and gruyere quiche with roasted tomato. Opted for the quiche which was very nice. The pastry was a tad soggy, but still tasty and filling nonetheless. The meal was accompanied by a custard pastry which was also quite good. Overall I thought it was a very solid breakfast offering. Very attentive service from the cabin manager who made sure drinks were always topped up. The rope at the purple divider served its purpose well and was strictly enforced.

I was served first sitting in 2C. I’m platinum so maybe it was based off status? Service then went 2A, Row 1, 2D/F. Both business and economy were 100% full on this flight.

This was a fantastic business class experience with Virgin. Service at priority check-in, in the lounge and in the air was top notch. Also worth mentioning the Melbourne lounge has brought back self-service, you no longer have to wait to be served.

18:40 HBA - BNE
4 of us in J, served 1A, 1F, 2A,2F. On offer was a vegetarian bibimbap or Spanish chicken. I don’t know what is so Spanish about the chicken, which was served on mash with some broccoli, but it was nice enough. The serving was huge so I didn’t finish it. It was served with cheese and crackers and a cake of some variety (I couldn’t pick the intended flavour)
The staff were absolutely lovely. And so attentive! It was a reminder of why I like to fly Virgin. Every time I got to the bottom centimetre of my glass of water or wine they’d ask if I wanted a top up. The guy behind me was disappointed when he asked for a rum and coke and they had less than a nip left. No whiskey either. Maybe the delayed flight before us cleared them out.
It was nice to fly again after a long hiatus. 8FA4D9C0-901E-499A-981F-CFA0E686AA4A.jpeg

Personally, I hope they retire the Cajun / katsu chicken sandwich soon.

It’s been a little underwhelming and in far higher rotation than it should be…. and the last flight they said it was Cajun, it was clearly katsu and the FA said when I asked ‘oops sorry they are pretty much the same anyway right’.

Ok. Well they had a point.
Its definitely a Cajun chicken Turkish toast/panini
The katsu is the one with rice and curry sauce

Here is the pasta presented on a 3 hour scheduled service (note the extra item - dessert)
View attachment 273751
Orders taken (after take-off) from back right (2F) in an anti-clockwise circle around the cabin around through to back left (2A). Meals delivered in zig-zag pattern from 1A across row 1, then 2A across row 2.
Some are starting orders anti clockwise because we find 90% of the time guests in 2D-F will miss out and we're tired of it so reversal to keep it different.

The only meal preference we go first by technically is for VIP guests first followed by whoever is seated next to them.

I know a few and myself do start with platinum orders first if we don't have any VIP onboard or just go by our 1A to 2F.

How many G&Ts should be served on an hour flight? Asking for a friend 😂

Had a Cabin Manager called "Junior" on a recent ADL MEL, a Kiwi/Pacific Islander lad (not sure). Absolute champ with a heavy pour which didn't reflect his name! 😆

Had a Cabin Manager called "Junior" on a recent ADL MEL, a Kiwi/Pacific Islander lad (not sure). Absolute champ with a heavy pour which didn't reflect his name! 😆
I did a heavy pour once cause I thought they could handle it... They had a sip and didn't want it any more 🙄🙄🙄😂

I’ve had Junior on a number of flights and he is very prompt on his refills aswell

Some are starting orders anti clockwise because we find 90% of the time guests in 2D-F will miss out and we're tired of it so reversal to keep it different.

The only meal preference we go first by technically is for VIP guests first followed by whoever is seated next to them.

I know a few and myself do start with platinum orders first if we don't have any VIP onboard or just go by our 1A to 2F.

Would the fare type come into it at all? E.g. if you can see that somebody has purchased a full-priced J ticket, while everyone else is on a Z fare (reward seat or upgrade)?

Would the fare type come into it at all? E.g. if you can see that somebody has purchased a full-priced J ticket, while everyone else is on a Z fare (reward seat or upgrade)?
We definitely can see what fare grade people are on but generally fare doesn't usually come into play unless someone has upgraded or changed flights last minute which would make them FCNA (full catering not assured) to which we would leave until last to offer a meal choice (if we have any meals left as we sometimes don't get catered 8 meals) even if they were a VIP or platinum as they would of been told that catering is not assured.

Example 1. 0700 flight BNE-SYD and Mary Jane checks in at 0600 and decides to upgrade Y to J at the kiosk or lounge which goes through.

Mary Jane will not have been catered a meal on the 0700 as the flight would of been catered a few hours ago to the pax load who booked or upgraded prior 5 hours the flight departing.

Example 2. John is booked in J to fly on the 1500 ADL-MEL but gets to the airport at 1300 and decides to change flights to the 1400 which has a spare seat.

John will not get a meal because the flight would of been catered to the confirmed J load a few hours before.

Last edited:

I could easily get through 2 G&Ts in an hour...

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back