Virgin Australia Business Class - Meals, Menus & Service

BNE-MEL evening flight which became even more evening than usual with an hour delay but these things happen and I'm thankful the issues were sorted out well before the flight.

Sparkling wine on boarding. Then chicken cacciatore which was quite good. I would happily ask for it again. Pinot noir.

With the extra hour in the lounge I had a few reds so decided to take the advice given by many here and try a G&T. Why wasn't I told about this before? How good is a G&T and a few more in the air?

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 11.35.20 pm.png

BNE-MEL evening flight which became even more evening than usual with an hour delay but these things happen and I'm thankful the issues were sorted out well before the flight.

Sparkling wine on boarding. Then chicken cacciatore which was quite good. I would happily ask for it again. Pinot noir.

With the extra hour in the lounge I had a few reds so decided to take the advice given by many here and try a G&T. Why wasn't I told about this before? How good is a G&T and a few more in the air?

View attachment 273823

Looks identical to my VA352 Friday night - which suffered similar delays. Only difference being that crew seemed to think it my duty to finish the bottle of pinot and I sadly had to decline after the second of those glassfuls ...

VA352.jpg

Regards,

BD

Does anyone know when pre departure sparkling wine is actually offered? On a recent Perth to Brisbane flight it wasn't offered.
It seems roughly that it's flights after 12pm. or from mid morning for trans con.
Seems to vary to being already poured to being asked.

Does anyone know when pre departure sparkling wine is actually offered? On a recent Perth to Brisbane flight it wasn't offered.
It seems roughly that it's flights after 12pm. or from mid morning for trans con.
I have been offered it on a 10.30am departure. I think that is the earliest VA departure I have had this year.

PDD before 10am is water and OJ but you can have alcohol inflight!

It's just for the PDD before 10:00 that's no alcohol 😄
VA935 which is Sydney to Brisbane on Saturday 26th March with a departure time of 11AM it wasn't offered.

Nor was it offered on VA467 which is Perth to Brisbane on Sunday 13th March, also with a 11AM departure time.

Maybe it's a weekend thing?

Flew VA560 yesterday at 12.30pm and can confirm they serve Tatachilla Brut NV as their sparkling. In fact most of their wines seem to be the Tatachilla range.

Flew VA560 yesterday at 12.30pm and can confirm they serve Tatachilla Brut NV as their sparkling. In fact most of their wines seem to be the Tatachilla range.

I can 💯 confirm its not a Tatachilla Brut NV. I don't even think Tatachilla make sparkling wine.

There's only one wine onboars that's a Tatachilla and the rest are from different wineries.

VA935 which is Sydney to Brisbane on Saturday 26th March with a departure time of 11AM it wasn't offered.

Nor was it offered on VA467 which is Perth to Brisbane on Sunday 13th March, also with a 11AM departure time.

Maybe it's a weekend thing?
No weekend thing. Don't really know why you weren't offered unless they ran out of stock onboard as it's usually double catered 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I can 💯 confirm its not a Tatachilla Brut NV. I don't even think Tatachilla make sparkling wine.

There's only one wine onboars that's a Tatachilla and the rest are from different wineries.
Can 100% confirm it was Tatachilla (was even shown the bottle).

Flew from SYD to MEL on VA834 last Thursday and was offered a choice of the (familiar) cajun chicken panini or the vegetable tart which was the same offering from a month ago. PDB was orange juice or still water.

Decide to have the chicken panini again which was tasty. When the CSM asked me what to drink with my meal, I decided its time to pop open the sparkling wine and in the end, 6 of 8 pax (including my partner) had the sparking to go with the morning refreshment.

SYD-MEL light morning refreshment.JPG

On the return flight from MEL to SYD on VA867 on Monday, I was offered a choice of the chicken cacciatore pasta or the stuffed mushroom. PDB was sparkling wine or still water.

Decided to try the pasta which was tasty if not a tad dry and I also had a try of the stuffed mushroom which my partner ordered and note it was also tasty. I have to say this is the first time I was offered a full can of soft drink with my meal.

MEL-SYD dinner.JPG

Meal orders was taken from 1A/1C to 1D/1F then 2A/2C to 2D/2F on both flights.

Only other thing worth noting is that the cheese and crackers pack is now larger as there is now five pieces of cheese and crackers (compared to three before).

Last edited:
Took the 4.30pm from MEL to SYD.

On boarding I was offered either sparkling wine or water.

For obvious reasons I accepted the sparkling wine.

Was offered an early dinner and as I enjoyed the chicken cacciatore last week I happily accepted it again. Very enjoyable.

Drinks flowed generously so I had a few G&Ts and was even offered a refill near to landing.

Again the flight attendant on this flight was excellent. Very attentive, acted proactively when he saw a near empty glass, cleared plates very quickly, was very pleasant and courteous, didn't appear to stop for the entire journey and actually looked and sounded like he loved his job.

Another reason why I'm a very happy VA customer.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.50.21 pm.png

Flew from PER to SYD on VA560 on Monday. J class was full (used a Choice fare to upgrade as a Platinum).

Aircraft was ex Silk Air so no rope between J and Y (only a few minor issues of passengers trying to use the bathrooms up the front)

Had the most loveliest cabin manager "Bee" who I believe was ex Ansett and formally flew on the 777s. She said morale at VA with staff is low but one of hope and optimism. Jayne is drip feeding staff as little as possible but they realise for them to grow again they need to build up domestic.

Lunch options was a beef gnocchi or a cold quinoa salad. I went with the gnocchi but it was very disappointing. Lack of taste and the gnocchi seemed appeared burnt, dried and wasn't at all fluffy or flavoursome. Highlight was the lemon cake for dessert.

IMG_20220328_132255.jpg

Meal orders was taken from 1A/1C to 1D/1F then 2A/2C to 2D/2F.

The basket is sweet and savoury snacks came out about 45 minutes after the meal service was collected. The soy mix was actually quite tasty. Highly recommended!

IMG_20220328_144803.jpg

Finally, Jayne needs to go to the movies! The entertainment selection was still from March 2020 which was quite depressing to see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220328_143629.jpg
    Screenshot_20220328_143629.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 12
Finally, Jayne needs to go to the movies! The entertainment selection was still from March 2020 which was quite depressing to see.
Worth pointing out the Silk aircraft seem to use a different entertainment system which is a lot more limited than the actual entertainment app. I also found it less user friendly.

In my experience, VA J is often better than QF J, at a much more affordable price (although, to be fair, some QF FA's do try to provide exceptional service).

And, you can now redeem VA points on SQ J.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back